Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2017, 12:39 PM   #26
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
As a former NYC boy, everyone else in the country moves too slow!!!. I don't want you to say hello or smile. Just give me my change so I can get the heck out of your store. New York rules and the rest drools. And if any yous guyz don like it, fuggedaboutit. Oh, and by the way, the only good pizza in the country is NY pizza. And you can't get a good bagel outside of NY. And don't get me started on NY deli.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
So True. My wife and I often longed for NYC when we lived/worked overseas in the 90's. After we returned to start a family and been living here a while, I'm reminded that NYC is a great place to visit but the city attitude sure can wear you down while living here.

I keep telling the Mrs. that as soon as our 3rd child graduates from HS, we outta here!

BTW - lots of NY bagel shops now ship bagels!

TYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 12:43 PM   #27
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMeyer View Post
As far as the pizza goes -- true story. The rest of the country apparently doesnt understand what pizza is supposed to taste or look like. Its probably the only thing I miss about NY.
Vinnie's Pizzeria on upper east side...yummmm...

Unread 05/17/2017, 12:53 PM   #28
Therinx
Registered Member

I know of 2 very good LFS and 2 not so good ones, in my area. In NYC. I've seen posts by people all over the country that are using about the ratio so it seems like the region doesn't matter. Or worse, they don't even have that many to choose from at all.

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 01:24 PM   #29
hkgar
Registered Member

I have a good LFS where I am and I spend a decent amount of money with them, but probably buy 80% on line. Price is the concern and I know that they need higher margins to stay in business but at the same time higher margins cost them sales. The seem to be about 25% higher than on line.

It is frightening what on line retailing (Amazon) is doing to local business. It is also to a point that malls are losing anchor stores as they are going bankrupt thanks to on line shopping.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 01:38 PM   #30
EMeyer
Registered Member

Consumers are getting everything for far cheaper. Whats frightening about that? I dont hear anybody crying about the poor out of work buggy whip manufacturers.

LFS in my area typically sell stuff for prices where I could literally order only that single item online, and including shipping it would be about the same cost. Thats right, they can fly me a fish from Florida and deliver it to my door for the same cost as if I drive into town and wait in line and deal with dramatically reduced selection compared with online retailers. In this situation who's gonna voluntarily choose door #2?

I'm not sayin LFS owners are bad guys, theyre just trying to stay afloat. But if thats the price markup thats required to stay afloat, i'd suggest its a business model that is not long for this world.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 01:51 PM   #31
hkgar
Registered Member

There are broad economic repercussions from bankruptcies and closings in the community. I am very much a free market person and have confidence, I just don't currently seeing how the lost jobs thru online shopping and robots are going to be replaced.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 05/17/2017, 02:11 PM   #32
Potatohead
Registered Member

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but there is no doubt they are smashing businesses and many, many jobs into the ground.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 03:09 PM   #33
Stolireef
Registered Member

Hi: My name is Stolireef and I'm an Amazonaholic. My neighbors keep asking me if I'm moving because I always have so many cardboard boxes in my driveway.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 03:54 PM   #34
Breadman03
New Old School

I don't do LFS because the only two that I consider local aren't worth the effort to go. Expand to the 1-2 hour range and I've got some pretty decent options. Other than that, I'm pretty much an RC sponsor shopper.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 08:24 AM   #35
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
It is frightening what on line retailing (Amazon) is doing to local business. It is also to a point that malls are losing anchor stores as they are going bankrupt thanks to on line shopping.
Now they're about to enter the grocery business, yes Amazon supermarket. Where u dont have to waste time going through a check out line, u walk in, put items in ur bag and walk out! Amazon will charge the groceries to your Amazon account. WOW, I'd shop there!!!

Unread 05/18/2017, 08:42 AM   #36
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Consumers are getting everything for far cheaper. Whats frightening about that? I dont hear anybody crying about the poor out of work buggy whip manufacturers.
I love saving $ by paying less! However looks like we've all shot ourselves in the foot bc we're getting what we pay for with inferior quality these days. I stopped buying stuff from Home Cheapo (who drove mom&pop hardware stores out of business) bc their stuff is such poor quality.

Quote:
I'm not sayin LFS owners are bad guys, theyre just trying to stay afloat. But if thats the price markup thats required to stay afloat, i'd suggest its a business model that is not long for this world.
Only way LFS can compete is by providing excellent customer service and product... then I'm more than willing to spend a little more of my hard earned $ at the LFS but not when they make me feel like I'm shopping at a used car dealer.

Unread 05/18/2017, 08:52 AM   #37
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
There are broad economic repercussions from bankruptcies and closings in the community. I am very much a free market person and have confidence, I just don't currently seeing how the lost jobs thru online shopping and robots are going to be replaced.
True. Need to Adapt to the new order and learn to work with technology or enter the service oriented business. In my industry (TV) everything has been automated in the last decade, where everything is run on computer and contents are digital (nothing on tape anymore). Those who lack computer skills aren't hired b/c they fall behind and can't keep up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but there is no doubt they are smashing businesses and many, many jobs into the ground.
Sometimes I have no idea how they can possibly make a profit selling an item so cheap while shipping it for free via Amazon Prime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
Hi: My name is Stolireef and I'm an Amazonaholic. My neighbors keep asking me if I'm moving because I always have so many cardboard boxes in my driveway.
A friend of mine in CT knows the UPS driver bc he gets so many Amazon deliveries!

Unread 05/18/2017, 09:15 AM   #38
zn00py
Registered Member

Absolutely Fish is not bad.That was the first one i went to couple years ago and they helped me alot. Ocean Gallery II is close to me and I go there often.The other one i have been too is like a ghost town.when you do ask a question about equipment they love to shame what others are running and are not friendly unless you buy often

Unread 05/18/2017, 09:17 AM   #39
LX20000
Registered Member

Here in SE PA, we have lots of good stores...
Something Fishy
Reef to Rift
Hawaiian Reef
Aquarium Specialties

Just lucky I guess...

LX20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 09:33 AM   #40
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zn00py View Post
Absolutely Fish is not bad.That was the first one i went to couple years ago and they helped me alot. Ocean Gallery II is close to me and I go there often.The other one i have been too is like a ghost town.when you do ask a question about equipment they love to shame what others are running and are not friendly unless you buy often
I'll have to check out Absolutely...not sure about OG II, heard it could be hit or miss there.

Unread 05/18/2017, 09:34 AM   #41
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx20000 View Post
here in se pa, we have lots of good stores...
Something fishy
reef to rift
hawaiian reef
aquarium specialties

just lucky i guess...
very lucky indeed

Unread 05/18/2017, 12:44 PM   #42
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYC View Post

Sometimes I have no idea how they can possibly make a profit selling an item so cheap while shipping it for free via Amazon Prime!!
They probably pay a fixed annual contract with UPS/USPS and can easily amortize over the total sales and factor it in as a cost of doing business like a local retailer treats personnel costs.

Unread 05/18/2017, 01:01 PM   #43
static916
Registered Member

Quote:
They probably pay a fixed annual contract with UPS/USPS and can easily amortize over the total sales and factor it in as a cost of doing business like a local retailer treats personnel costs.
They also get UPS, USPS, and FedEx to aggressively fight for the contract. Amazon also threatens to replace them with their own serve..

static916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 01:51 PM   #44
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by static916 View Post
They also get UPS, USPS, and FedEx to aggressively fight for the contract. Amazon also threatens to replace them with their own serve..
Gotta hand it to them, they do know how to run a business.

Unread 05/18/2017, 03:04 PM   #45
callsign4223
Registered Member

Here in OKC we have 2 pretty good stores. Neither one is very large though and they don't stock a lot of fish or equipment. Both are willing to special order fish though, and their prices are competitive with online plus shipping. Plus they keep the fish at least a week to make sure they are eating and thriving before passing them on, even if they are a special order. One store will give you a price break if you come in on the day the fish arrives and take it in the shipping bag, but you void your warranty if you do that.

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 07:02 PM   #46
TYC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsign4223 View Post
Here in OKC we have 2 pretty good stores. Neither one is very large though and they don't stock a lot of fish or equipment. Both are willing to special order fish though, and their prices are competitive with online plus shipping. Plus they keep the fish at least a week to make sure they are eating and thriving before passing them on, even if they are a special order. One store will give you a price break if you come in on the day the fish arrives and take it in the shipping bag, but you void your warranty if you do that.
lucky, are the workers nice too?

Unread 05/18/2017, 09:08 PM   #47
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Sometimes I have no idea how they can possibly make a profit selling an item so cheap while shipping it for free via Amazon Prime!
If you're just talking about their e-commerce business, the answer is they haven't; at least not until recently. They've always favored growth over profit. Their cloud business AWS makes money hand over fist.

No point in 'railing' against online, it's the way of the future. Are folks suddenly going to all stop buying online? Unlikely. Fortunately logistics is still required, and that's where many of the jobs will go. Affordable robotics are a ways off still.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 07:04 AM   #48
callsign4223
Registered Member

Quote:
lucky, are the workers nice too?
For the most part yes. One store the guy has a serious issue with dosing kalk in the topoff, but just avoid that topic and everything is cool.

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 01:38 PM   #49
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsign4223 View Post
For the most part yes. One store the guy has a serious issue with dosing kalk in the topoff, but just avoid that topic and everything is cool.
For or against?

Unread 05/19/2017, 02:08 PM   #50
Diana A
Registered Member

Quote:
As far as the pizza goes -- true story. The rest of the country apparently doesnt understand what pizza is supposed to taste or look like. Its probably the only thing I miss about NY.
it's the water...the best pizza and bagels