Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2011, 10:30 PM   #1
todd57
Registered Member

Anemone got sucked into Powerhead

My anemone got sucked into my powerhead for some reason. Will this have an impact on my water and other livestock? A buddy said I need to do a water change asap.

Unread 06/17/2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Ben_n_Em
Registered Member

Yes. From what I've heard, a shredded nem can kill a tank. If you have water mixing now I'd do a water change and start mixing more.

Ben_n_Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2011, 11:41 PM   #3
brian762
Registered Member

Run some carbon and do the biggest WC you can.

brian762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 12:06 AM   #4
ColaAddict
Moved On

Did he get totally shredded? or just got stuck in there?

ColaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 01:40 AM   #5
todd57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaAddict View Post
Did he get totally shredded? or just got stuck in there?
Totally shredded.

Unread 06/18/2011, 01:59 AM   #6
ColaAddict
Moved On

wow, that is why I'm trying to get rid of all of my BTA's and Sebae, they tend to move around. I'm switching to Haddoni's, which are primarily sand dwellers.
**You do need to do a big water change with carbon and monitor the rest of the livestock. kick up the skimmer, wetter skim would pull more crap out of the water faster I would think.
One of my BTA decided to dislodge and float around, ended up getting stuck in my MP 40, but luckily didn't get shredded up, just kinda got stuck. I think I got to it in time before getting completely sucked in and blendered.

ColaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 05:34 AM   #7
jonnyu
Registered Member

Well just checked my tank this morning and I had the same problem. RBTA just moved it self into the power head. I have no idea how. What's the % of water change I need to do? Its 110 gallon tank with a 35 gallon Fuge. Is there anyway of keeping this from happening again?

jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 09:09 AM   #8
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Put a knee high pantyhose over the powerhead and they can't get sucked into them. I had to do that becasue I have one powerhead that is very strong so this was the only way I could slow the flow it had down.

mwilliams62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 11:15 AM   #9
MM WI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams62 View Post
Put a knee high pantyhose over the powerhead and they can't get sucked into them. I had to do that becasue I have one powerhead that is very strong so this was the only way I could slow the flow it had down.
you did this and the material did not degrade and polute the tank? what are they made of? I would not add an item to the tank that I did not know what it was made of and that it would be stable. Some polymers would be stable and others would not, some will also leach chemicals into the water.

- mark

MM WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 02:20 PM   #10
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Regular knee high panty hose brand new. I had several reefers said they too had to do that for that very reason to keep their BTA's from getting suck into them.

Unread 06/18/2011, 04:20 PM   #11
J-Burns
Registered Member

I use a filter sock. FWIW

J-Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 07:25 PM   #12
mwilliams62
Registered Member

not a bad idea "filter sock" but how much flow do you get with that on??? At least with panty hose it is thin enough to get good flow but not the over kill flow.

Unread 06/18/2011, 08:30 PM   #13
nemoboy1
Registered Member

man that sucks... water change is a must... then use filter sock (mesh kind) felt type is way to thick and wouldnt work as well. good luck

nemoboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 10:21 PM   #14
ChuckLawson
Registered Member

Must be going around this week; I had a green "japanese" BTA decide to do the suicide-by-tunze trick night before last. It wasn't terribly big, maybe 5" fully extended, but I was surprised that between filter sock (in the sump, not on a powerhead) and skimmer the tank went from fairly cloudy back to totally clear within 2 hours, and none of the the other livestock in the tank (fish, two other BTAs, LPS and a bit of SPS) seemed to have any ill effects.

ChuckLawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 10:40 PM   #15
MM WI
Registered Member

this is nuts that so many of us had the same problem the same week. My anemone lived and in a few more weeks you may not be able to tell that he had a good portion of his flesh shreaded but another one in the same tank is still stressed from the water quality problem it created. I have had this happen before with my BTA tank, easier to blow that off as there are so many in there. I put foam blocks over intakes and put a mt dew bottle with quarter inch holes drilled in it over another intake in the BTA tank. The dew bottle incrusted with pink coraline and worked well.

- Mark

MM WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2011, 06:34 AM   #16
Repz
Registered Member

Can we get a picture of the mountain dew bottle and how you attached it.

Repz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2011, 09:37 PM   #17
jonnyu
Registered Member

Well did the water change and put some carbon and did not have any losses. I am going to order some mesh filter socks this is a great idea. I like the idea of the bottle but cant use that on my pump.

jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2011, 09:41 PM   #18
ChuckLawson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM WI View Post
this is nuts that so many of us had the same problem the same week.
In my case it's probably because I had lost my previous pair of ocellaris a few weeks before; BTAs seem to much less inclined to wander (at least for me) if they're hosting clowns. After losing the occies, it gradually started wandering around until it got into trouble.

ChuckLawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2011, 08:13 PM   #19
J-Burns
Registered Member

The mesh filter sock is what I use. You have to clean it every few days or it will slow down the flow. I like the idea of the pop bottle as I have been thinking of making an over flow out of PVC pipe for my filter.

J-Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 02:09 AM   #20
Reefman1986
Registered Member

Shredded

Just got up this morning sat down with a cup of tea looked at the tanks nothing moving, got up for a closer look everything dead £420 worth of fish. I just couldn't work out why? Looked at the power head and my magnificent anemone had been sucked in and shredded in the night devastated isn't the word. I feel soul destroyed after all the hard work I've put in.

Reefman1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 09:48 AM   #21
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman1986 View Post
Just got up this morning sat down with a cup of tea looked at the tanks nothing moving, got up for a closer look everything dead £420 worth of fish. I just couldn't work out why? Looked at the power head and my magnificent anemone had been sucked in and shredded in the night devastated isn't the word. I feel soul destroyed after all the hard work I've put in.
Been there. That is why I'm going to be plumbing in a closed loop system for a species tank for my S. gigantea and my A. percula clowns. My wife can have the pretty fish upstairs and my anemone will be downstairs.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2015, 02:06 AM   #22
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My BTA got shredded by a powerhead as well - right the night I left my skimmer off. That morning the water was clowdy but otherwise I got lucky and nothing (besides the BTA) died.
After that I removed my crispa because it started moving into the direction of the powerheads as well and was in need of treatment anyway.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2015, 08:42 AM   #23
OrionN
Moved on

Puree BTA usually do not cause fish death. Other anemones, like Magnifica, will wipe out our tank except clown fish if it get puree. There are plenty of thread on Magnifica wipe out a tank.
Other anemones like Gigantea or Haddoni likely will wipe out your tank too. FWIW, none of this happen to me yet so no first hand experience here.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 07:22 AM   #24
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Lost 40 plus fish this morning when one of my three Ritteri got sucyinti my Tunze

Wondering if sps will die too???

Lost some 15 year old fish

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 07:27 AM   #25
Cliving1
Registered Member

That is terrible to hear. Sorry for your loss. I would do a water change and start running carbon if your not already.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote