Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2007, 10:13 PM   #1
2OceanLovers
Registered Member

Flow Rate in a Seahorse Aquarium

What is a good flow rate for a seahorse dedicated aquarium? Is there a certain number or just really low? I will be running about 15 gph. Is that too much, or do I need more? Thanks for all the help.

2OceanLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2007, 01:54 AM   #2
pledosophy
Registered Member

What size tank?

15gph is to low for most tanks IMO. It is not enough for gas exchange.

Unread 08/26/2007, 09:17 AM   #3
2OceanLovers
Registered Member

It is a 26g bowfront. All the flow would be directed at surface agitation for gas exchange. I will be running 2 big power filters with the fuge mod on both of them so all the flow would come out right at the surface for gas exchange.

Unread 08/26/2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Calvin Krog
Registered Member

hello
I would stay with that flow rate but just keep up exelent water changes of around 70% per month

kind regards
Calvin

Current Tank Info: 300l reef mainly softies and lps
Calvin Krog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2007, 01:12 PM   #5
ann83
Registered Member

I think that you are going to need more flow. Shoot for at least 5x turnover rate, with the flow broken up and evenly dispersed. Especially if you are planning on putting seahorses in a 26 gallon, which is on the small side. For that tank, I would actually recommend a sump or at least a large hang on refugium with macroalgaes, because it is going to be hard to keep the nitrates down. Either way, shoot for around 120 - 160 gph at least (personally, I think you should go up to 200 gph if you're using HOB filters).

If you are truly using two large power filters, how is it possible that you are only going to end up with 15gph? Thats about the flow rate of one little azoo palm filter (which I wouldn't use on anything above 5 gallons).

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2007, 02:36 PM   #6
2OceanLovers
Registered Member

Sorry, I mistyped. The flow is 15x turnover. That is what I meant. Sorry about that. I will be filling those with macros and also will have some bladed macros in the tank for hitching purposes. Will that be good?

Unread 08/26/2007, 02:56 PM   #7
ann83
Registered Member

It should be okay. These are HOB filters, right? I think that if they are, you will probably be okay flow wise, be be careful that 15x isn't too much flow for the seahorses to handle. Definately spread the two filter outputs far apart. Also, make sure that there is adequite flow on the sandbed (sometimes HOB's cause dead spots on the bottom of the tank, especially when you are utilizing live rock and other large aquascaping objects that can block flow. Seahorses are messy, and dead spots (or even really low flow spots) WILL grow cyano.
Do you have a plan for lighting the macros in the filters?
Personally, I recommend a bigger tank for seahorses, but you should be okay, provided you only have 1 pair of seahorses and no swimming tankmates. What species of seahorse are you planning for this tank?

Unread 08/26/2007, 05:03 PM   #8
2OceanLovers
Registered Member

I will definitely watch for dead spots. I plan on using a clip on desk lamp for the fuge mods. I will only have one pair of seahorses. I plan on either getting erectus or reidi. I am not sure. Are there any recommendations on the species?

Unread 08/26/2007, 05:21 PM   #9
ann83
Registered Member

Erectus seem to be the most hardy, but Reidi are relatively hardy as well. Do you have any intentions to try to raise fry, because some species are easier than others?

Either way, I recommend you buy from a reputable aquaculture facility like www.seahorsesource.com, www.dracomarine.org, or www.nyseahorse.com instead of your LFS or other online retailers (even if the SH are labelled CB or TR), because that way you are sure that your seahorses are truly captive bred and have never been exposed to wild caught syngnathids or natural seawater. There are A LOT of seahorses going around labelled TR (especially Reidi and Kelloggi) that in fact are not - they have been raised in net-pens in the ocean and come with all the disease problems that WC seahorses do.

Keep in mind that any tropical seahorse (including Reidi and Erectus) will need to be kept at temperatures under 74 degrees F, to prevent bacterial infections.

Unread 08/26/2007, 05:33 PM   #10
2OceanLovers
Registered Member

The temps stay at 74-76 all day. I plan on getting a fan at the same time as the clip on light to bring them down another couple of degrees. I have been researching facilities online. I will still check with my lfs to see where their seahorses come from. I don't plan on raising fry at all. I don't think I would be capable at all. Thanks for all the help and keep it coming, too.

Unread 08/26/2007, 07:03 PM   #11
ann83
Registered Member

The thing with LFS sources is that unless they are coming from a breeder that you can speak to, its probably not a good idea. Obviously, the LFS can't tell you much about the origins of the SH from their wholesaler, in order for you to know whether they are truly captive bred, and the major LFS supplier of CB fish, ORA, are bringing in some imported seahorses from unnamed sources (so assume net-pen raised in the ocean) and selling them under the ORA name. Not to mention, if your LFS has ever had WC seahorses or pipefish in their system, you don't want your CB seahorses put into their tanks. Right now the state of seahorse keeping is truly buyer beware, and its pretty important to know exactly where your SH were born and raised and under what circumstances in order to ensure the longterm health of your seahorses (and to save you time and money in treating them). Luckily, most of the breeders out there are pretty forthcoming with information.

Unread 08/26/2007, 11:44 PM   #12
pledosophy
Registered Member

15x is way better. It might be a bit much so you might have to dial back the filters or break up the returns, depends on the models and how the flow is broken up. JME

15 gph is way way to low.

JME

Some of the aquaculture facilities do sell to LFS's as well. Unfortunatley ORA also sells maricultured seahorses as TR which is far different from a CB seahorse.

JME

HTH

Unread 08/27/2007, 09:02 AM   #13
2OceanLovers
Registered Member

That is just what I want to check out, if an aquaculture facility sells direct to my lfs. I will most likely end up ordering online though. I agree with the 15gph being way to low. I just mistyped and didn't catch it in time. I think the 15x turnover will be good also. It is all going to be dispersed through the entire length of the tank, like a giant spray bar basically. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate people like you all out here and willing to help whoever needs it, no matter how stupid the question might be.

Unread 08/27/2007, 12:54 PM   #14
ann83
Registered Member

Just be aware that I have 300 gph in a 37 gallon tank (which is still only 8-9x turnover), all in HOB power filters (aquaclears), and there are still areas of my tank that blow my seahorses around... which they will enjoy provided there are areas of lower flow in the tank where they can rest.

Unread 08/27/2007, 02:27 PM   #15
2OceanLovers
Registered Member

I will turn one HOB power filter down for lower flow so they can get blown around in a little area and rest in the other.

Unread 08/29/2007, 05:51 PM   #16
2OceanLovers
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.