Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2017, 10:55 AM   #1
jjh302
Registered Member

My Red Sea Reefer 250 Build

Chapter 1: The Wait Continues

Hello Folks,

I thought I'd share my journey with this new tank. My saltwater experience was only about 3 years old when I had to move and my 92G corner reef tank crashed.

So I've been out of the hobby for about a year and just decided it was time to restart. You ask, why not set up the corner reef again?? Because my new house was built in the early 1800's and the floors ore original hardwood and I'm honestly scared to put that much weight on the floor. I'm a large guy so crawling in the crawl space and trying to brace it isn't much of an option for me.

Nonetheless, I found the Red Sea Reefer 250 and instantly knew I wanted it. So here I wait for it to be delivered. Anticipation is a b!?(/. BUT as I was typing this I got a phone call, it is being delivered tomorrow.

Here is my equipment list as of right now;

1 Red Sea Reefer 250
1 Apex Controller. (Man them things are expensive)
1 WXM Module
1 Vortech mp40wqd - plan on a 2nd
1 Ehiem 3000 return pump
1 300w titanium heater
2 Radion XR15
1 Reef Octupus Classic 110INT Skimmer
1 Tunze ATO

I welcome all comments and ideas. I'd like to do a refugium with this setup.

Any suggestions so far?

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 02:14 PM   #2
jjh302
Registered Member

The acid bath On the new "reef saver" rock.

Unread 02/20/2017, 02:15 PM   #3
jjh302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh302 View Post
The acid bath On the new "reef saver" rock.

Unread 02/22/2017, 02:48 PM   #4
JonezNReef
Registered Member

So did you get your tank? Your equipment list looks like good choices for your new tank. What are your plans for the fuge? I will be tagging along

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 03:26 PM   #5
jjh302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
So did you get your tank? Your equipment list looks like good choices for your new tank. What are your plans for the fuge? I will be tagging along

Yes my tank was delivered yesterday. My house is very old (built in the late 1700-early 1800's) and I have no way to brace the floor so I've decided to put a 3/4" oak, stained and lacquered board underneath it to help disperse the weight a little. Hopefully I can pick the board and stain it tonight.

As far as a fuge is concerned, hopefully I can learn from someone on this forum as I've never had a fuge before.

I would also like to run dual reactors and a algae scrubber but my initial setup budget has already been blown out of the water.

Unread 10/22/2017, 03:05 PM   #6
jjh302
Registered Member

So I see it’s been since February that I’ve posted on this thread. Tank is still sitting here empty but I’m ready to now get moving on it.

So now I need to break the Apex out of the box so I can get the tank running. Am I safe to have the controllers in the same cabinet as the sump? Will the saltiness and dampness effect them? What have others done?

Unread 10/23/2017, 05:23 PM   #7
jjh302
Registered Member

So I bought this piece of dry rock roughly two years ago from TFS in PA and it was acid washed six months ago and left to dry again since. I’m now double guessing myself on if it was reed rock that I bought. Is there any rock that wouldn’t be reef safe? Or anyone have a clue from these crappy pics what it is?? It’s approx 12”Hx15”Lx8”W and weighs about 25lbs

Unread 10/26/2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Rover88
Registered Member

That looks just like all the reef rock I've ever seen, you should be good to go!

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 09:23 AM   #9
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

nice looking rock.

question. when you say acid wash, did you use vinegar? muriatic acid? how much acid did you use in that blue tub in the picture? that's a 15 gallon tub?

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote