Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2017, 09:50 AM   #1
duckeram85
Registered Member

UV & Chaeto Reactor! Am I crazy?

I have done tons of reading on the use of Chaeto Reactors and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks back and built a DIY (which for anyone interested was the easiest DIY ever) in an attempt to not have algae in my sump refugium. The same issue I had in the refugium happened in the reactor my chaeto began to be covered in a diatom/cyno of some sort, which was far more of a hassle in my refugium to clean up so I got the idea why not directly plumb in a UV sterilizer. So I searched and searched for any information about others doing the same and to my surprise not a word or even mention of it? So I decided I would be the first.(that I know of) Here is how it is plumbed Sicce pump directly into 25 Watt AQUA UV Sterilizer then directly in to my AquaMaxx Fluid Reactor XL then back into sump past the Sicce pump to minimize re-treatment.

My questions are what do yall think the outcome will be and why?

side note light will be coming off refugium as I do not intend on growing algae in there just LR and Pods also as of 18OCT2017 I will remove filter socks completely.

Long term goal is to switch to Triton Method (I know UV is not recommended with it but thats a subject for then)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FULL SUMP.jpg (46.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg TOP SUMP.jpg (47.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg REACTOR&UV SIDE.jpg (44.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg REACTOR&UV TOP.jpg (40.5 KB, 77 views)
duckeram85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 10:51 AM   #2
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

I don't have a chaeto reactor, but I grow chaeto with a Kessi horticulture light and a large UV plumbed into the sump. Seems to work well, so I imagine yours could, too.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 07:00 AM   #3
duckeram85
Registered Member

Just a quick update I removed all the filter socks and cheap refugium light yesterday! The UV and Reactor have been running for 3 days and as of this morning there has been zero signs of the Diatoms/Cyno (previously by day 2 there was growth on the glass and chaeto) the clear reactors glass is as clean as the day i cleaned it. also i forgot to mention before putting the reactor on the system I was peaking PH at 8.2 and dropping down to 8.05 at night now I am at 8.31 and dropped to 8.24 so an added bonus i did not completely expect.

Unread 11/08/2017, 11:14 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

How is the water clarity in the DT since the addition of both the UV Sterilizer and the Chaeto Reactor?

I just put in a reactor with chaeto 5 days ago. Thinking about adding a UV Sterilizer to get crystal clear water in the DT (I hope).

Unread 11/08/2017, 12:17 PM   #5
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Following. I have a UV sterilizer that is plumbed and being bypassed at the moment. Do not have a chaeto reactor but do have a refugium with chaeto in it...

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 01:04 PM   #6
duckeram85
Registered Member

Water clarity is perfect just as clear as before I️ took off the filter socks. Chaeto is growing a little slower than expected and I️ still get and algae growth on the inside of the reactor but it’s takes about a week to show up and 2 weeks before I️ had to clean. I️ started with only a golf ball size piece tho which may have been a mistake in the AquaMaxx XL reactor but it’s all my LFS had and it’s about 5x bigger now so hoping once it gets enough chaeto that it will completely end my algae in the reactor problem. On a even better side with zero GFO I️ only clean my front glass twice a week which is about the same as with GFO and all my levels are great I️ will get actual #s probably Thursday from my LFS test but all in all very happy with the simplicity and less maintenance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/20/2017, 08:57 AM   #7
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

UV will slow down the cheato growth rate somewhat but it won't stop it from growing altogether. You should be fine. Glad its working out for ya!

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chaeto, chaeto reactor, triton, triton method, uv sterilizer