Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2012, 01:42 PM   #3001
szwab
RC Mod

While I'm posting here's an update on my 2 regals. Both have gone on to better homes. It was hard decision to make. I was ok with not keeping softies and zoanthids. Even ok with the occasional nip at LPS. The scale was tipped when the yellow belly decided to add SPS to the menu, I'm not talking the occasional nip either. Got the gray belly first in June of 08 and the other roughly 3 months later. Both were fat and healthy when they found new homes. Pics were taken just before they left. Pics don't show it but the yellow belly was significantly larger than the grey

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2012, 04:40 PM   #3002
crobattt
Registered Member

I'M SO HAPPY ,

My regal is eating shrimp and clams within 24 hours of being in the tank the only thing i've seen wrong so far is that he likes the taste of GSP, but who cares !?

Phil 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
crobattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 11:48 AM   #3003
djkms
Fish Freak

I picked up a Red Sea Regal from a local vendor here in Colorado on Friday. It is pretty big and has a lot of girth. I have it in QT right now and is currently in a Prazipro bath. I did notice some spots on him:

So after the prazi treatment should I do cupramine or hyposalinity? What are your experiences with either treatment?

He is eating, kinda. I am feeding him PE Mysis soaked in garlic. He doesnt eat it right away but after it settles to the bottom he does eventually swim around and pick at the bottom of the tank.

I hope he survives, its a beautiful fish!!

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 05:53 AM.
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 11:57 AM   #3004
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

That there is the EXACT same looking stuff that came in on a regal angel I tried a while back. And I'm pretty sure it's what took out my male genicanthus later on...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=10

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 12:05 PM   #3005
alton
Registered Member

I acclimate my angels to the water in my QT tank then I place my angels in freshwater with an airstone for 20 minutes before going into my QT tank. I know it sounds bad but I have not lost one yet. Mine is 3 to 4" that I got from NY Aquatic and eating like a champ in my 40 gal breeder QT tank. It is also not your normal QT tank, it contains SPS and softy corals which can be removed very quickly if something goes wrong and I need to medicate.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 12:29 PM   #3006
djkms
Fish Freak

Thanks Peter. I posted the picture in the fish disease and treatment section and they feel its ich there. I am not convinced to be honest. I have a buddy who runs a aquarium maintenance business and I see fish shipments all the time. The fish that come in with ich have a much more uniform in size "white spot" and the spots tend to cluster together in areas and that area has a hazy look to it. The spots on this regal appear to be much bigger than ich spots IMO. Ich to me literally looks like salt on the fish.

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
Unread 05/09/2012, 11:50 AM   #3007
MarineOne
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkms View Post
I picked up a Red Sea Regal from a local vendor here in Colorado on Friday. It is pretty big and has a lot of girth. I have it in QT right now and is currently in a Prazipro bath. I did notice some spots on him:

So after the prazi treatment should I do cupramine or hyposalinity? What are your experiences with either treatment?

He is eating, kinda. I am feeding him PE Mysis soaked in garlic. He doesnt eat it right away but after it settles to the bottom he does eventually swim around and pick at the bottom of the tank.

I hope he survives, its a beautiful fish!!

Good luck!

That is one beautiful Regal!

MarineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 12:01 PM   #3008
djkms
Fish Freak

Thanks, he passed away this last Sunday

Unread 05/09/2012, 09:10 PM   #3009
MarineOne
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkms View Post
Thanks, he passed away this last Sunday
Awww

Any idea the reason?

Eating?

Chemicals/meds?

Can't you do Prazi and Hypo at the same time?

Last edited by MarineOne; 05/09/2012 at 09:30 PM.
Unread 05/10/2012, 09:31 AM   #3010
djkms
Fish Freak

He never really ate. I tried PE Mysis, Rods, Clam on a half shell and pellets. He did make it through 5 days of Prazi and was on day 3 of antibiotics. I did have a buddy of mine who owns a aquarium maintenance company come over and look at the fish. He was certain it was not ich. He did say he has seen angels come in with similar patches over their eyes and the angel never makes it.

Looking back I probably should have waited to treat with Prazi until he was eating good but with visible signs of disease I wanted to treat right away.

Beautiful fish, I just wish I could keep one alive. I kept a Moorish Idol for a year and a half before he started mowing down my reef yet I really struggle with this angel

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:18 AM   #3011
knight2255
Registered Member

Are the red sea regal's the ones with the red anal fin? If so, where is a reputable place online to buy one?

knight2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 11:47 AM   #3012
MarineOne
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight2255 View Post
Are the red sea regal's the ones with the red anal fin? If so, where is a reputable place online to buy one?
The Red Sea Regal is the most beautiful Regal...

It seems that no matter what the species of fish, if it is available from the Red Sea it is the most beautiful of that species...

Unread 06/04/2012, 03:08 PM   #3013
gofor100
Registered Member

Just took the plunge over the weekend...

Here's my new 4 to 4 1/2" Regal (looks to be a grey/blue chested one)...

Got him Saturday morning, and placed him into my 60 gallon QT (along with a few other small fish I got the same day). That afternoon, he was already eating a frozen concoction I make for my Moorish Idol (mixture of raw scallops, shrimp, clams, mysis, vitamin enriched brine, Marine Angel (first ingredient is sponge), Rod's Food, and some other pre-made frozen items... mixed in with Selcon and minced fresh garlic). Also saw him eat up a few pellets (I feed a mixture of Formula 1 & 2, and NLS), but nothing consistent yet with those. Clipped some Nori in there as well, and he ripped that apart (not sure how much he actually ate, but there was a good amount floating around in the current).

My plan is to treat him in my 60 gallon QT with Cupramine (I'll slowly add this over a full week after he has already been eating consistently for a couple of days), then treat him with Prazipro in the last week (or if flukes are noticed beforehand, earlier).

Wish me luck!

-Chad

Current Tank Info: Tank Build in Progress

gofor100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 03:59 PM   #3014
Tracey2
Registered Member

Good luck, he's beautiful.

Tracey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 05:00 PM   #3015
gofor100
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey2 View Post
Good luck, he's beautiful.
Thanks Tracey! I'll try to keep everyone up-to-date on the progress.

-Chad

Unread 06/04/2012, 10:28 PM   #3016
ReefEnc
Registered Member

Definately one of the most beautiful of angels. The Regals from Bali are a lot more hardy than the Regals from the Red Sea, so if he's eating already, I'd say he will do great. Please keep us updated..
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Unread 06/05/2012, 06:28 AM   #3017
Inklinkerman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefEnc View Post
Definately one of the most beautiful of angels. The Regals from Bali are a lot more hardy than the Regals from the Red Sea, so if he's eating already, I'd say he will do great. Please keep us updated..
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

That's news to me. Id go for an Indian ocean / red sea yellow belly everytime.

I have a Maldives regal and its been very hardy for over a year now.

Inklinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 09:16 AM   #3018
gofor100
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklinkerman View Post
That's news to me. Id go for an Indian ocean / red sea yellow belly everytime.

I have a Maldives regal and its been very hardy for over a year now.
I think it might depend on where you're purchasing... but having said that, I think collecting practices with these fish are getting a little better and they are coming in a little better shape.

-Chad

Unread 06/05/2012, 10:33 AM   #3019
Inklinkerman
Registered Member

I've definitely seen an increase in success stories wityh the blue bellies recently which must show some improvement in collection practices or the opening up of new areas.

I remember Bob Fenner writing that 99.999% of blue bellies don't live a year, think that should be updated now... but would still personally go for a yellow belly, if only based on looks alone.

Inklinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2012, 05:24 PM   #3020
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

in month 19 of a grey belly regal owning me

it showed me in the lfs what it wanted to eat (nori and mysis)

ate ist day in my tank (nori)

took several days or weeks to eat mysis and other foods

a pig out on any food fish at present

slow growers compared to the majority of its tank mates(gets as much or more food as anybody in tank and grazes on rocks and constant supply of nori as well)

would love to "pair" it with a yellow belly

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 01:59 AM   #3021
chris_an_amy
Registered Member

Can anyone help me?? I just got a Regal Angel he looks pretty healthy. My concern is getting him to eat ocean nutrition angel formula. He has been grazing on live algae and little neck clams. I spotted him nipping at the food I want to get him on but not much more.
Surprisingly today he took a solid bite out of the angel formula cube I tried everything under the sun and the one thing I didn't was hand feed, and it worked. He ate one bite but that was it.
What I'm gonna try to do next is designate a spot at the top of the tank by clipping a little dish on the glass with his food in it . Lol, maybe if it works I'll put his name on it, like a doggy dish...
The Regal's origin is Eastern Asia (grey belly), size 4 in,
Anymore ideas or suggestions, tips , secrets, ect.would be greatly appreciated thanks!

chris_an_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 04:00 AM   #3022
ryanrid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_an_amy View Post
Can anyone help me?? I just got a Regal Angel he looks pretty healthy. My concern is getting him to eat ocean nutrition angel formula. He has been grazing on live algae and little neck clams. I spotted him nipping at the food I want to get him on but not much more.
Surprisingly today he took a solid bite out of the angel formula cube I tried everything under the sun and the one thing I didn't was hand feed, and it worked. He ate one bite but that was it.
What I'm gonna try to do next is designate a spot at the top of the tank by clipping a little dish on the glass with his food in it . Lol, maybe if it works I'll put his name on it, like a doggy dish...
Anymore ideas or suggestions, tips , secrets, ect.would be greatly appreciated thanks!
If it is pecking at LR your are right for a while, try not to stress it too much by putting your hand in. Just relax calm down and feed without stressing it too much and you should be right.

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 06:20 AM   #3023
szwab
RC Mod

try ataching the food to rock. One thing I noticed with mine was they seemed to have to learn or get used to the idea of eating out of the water column. Above all patience is key as mentioned.

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 12:43 PM   #3024
Dr Colliebreath
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_an_amy View Post
Get it eating mysis and other meaty seafood, plus nori and spirulina foods. Worry about the angel formula over time. It may never eat a lot of the angel formula.

Current Tank Info: 110 Oceanic RR w/35 gal sump and SRO XP2000 int
Dr Colliebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 03:33 PM   #3025
chris_an_amy
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Boy he sure is picky... I was contemplating on giving him a fresh water dip then putting him back in the QT. I don't want to stress him out but he does have some sort of gunk behind his left fin and a tiny spot on his left gill too. Should I or should I wait till he is eating more? He seems to wanna graze more when I block his view of the main display tank. I just threw some mysis in that I soaked in garlic, so we'll see how that goes. He eats the seaweed when its floating around at the top of the tank but not when I use the clip... weird i tell ya.
I am keeping him in the QT till he is comfortable eating what I give him and he's gotta be eating good too. All my fishes are pigs so he with starve if he isn't on the ball when it comes time for feeding.

This fish does require patience I agree entirely. He seems to be having just as hard of a time trying to figure me out as I do him... Hopefully with much patience and lot's of effort we will get on the same page soon enough.

chris_an_amy is offline   Reply With Quote