Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2008, 08:34 PM   #1
LauraCline
Registered Member

experiences and opinions re: Nigers

I'm looking for feedback from folks who have actual exprience with Nigers, I've read alot already. I've got an extra 90 gallon setup sitting around that I am trying to decide what to do with. I really like Niger triggers, I think they are highly under-rated. If I got a small one, how long would he comfortably live in the 90 (larger tank not a problem whenever needed)? If I do end up going that route, could he go in with a toby puffer, a purple psuedochromis, and a chocolate chip star? I already have them in a different tank but I do not want to risk those guys at all and they can stay comfortably where they are if not compatible. If a Niger is not compatible with those guys, would he be better off alone or would he be alright in the 90 with 1 or 2 more fish? Also, how big is the Niger really going to get? I've read fishbase too and see that they supposedly get 20" but, I have never seen one more than about 12". I've been told the growth slows dramatically after 6-8" in size is reached. How big are yours for those of you that have or have had them and how long to attain that size? I feed heavily 1-2 times per day ocassionally skipping a day. As far as aggression goes, what type of behavior am I likely to encounter at what sizes? Any and all info you have would be helpful. Thanks

Unread 02/11/2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

while waiting for feedback

here's a good read:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1313239

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2008, 08:44 PM   #3
LauraCline
Registered Member

Thank you Gary, very informative!

Unread 02/11/2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

you're welcome Laura. I'm also interested in reading the responses you get here

Unread 02/11/2008, 08:55 PM   #5
LauraCline
Registered Member

How active was the one you showed in the 300 gallon Gary? The large one I saw spent most of his time wedged in a rock cave unless food was involved. I'm concerned about the size of the 90 compared to the fish's size/activity level and growth rate. It's difficult to judge a fish at the store vs. your tank at home and also try to imagine the fish at maximum size. These guys also get quite a bit of girth on them.

Unread 02/11/2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

the Niger in my pix is very active.
It only goes into rock crevices to sleep or get cleaned.

Unread 02/11/2008, 09:52 PM   #7
prime99
Registered Member

I had a niger for two years. I started him out in a 75 with a dragon wrasse and a rectangular trigger. They were all small and introduced within a month of each other, so there were no aggression issues between them. My niger was pretty mellow and allowed the rectangular trigger to be the boss. The only aggression I saw was with fish I tried to add after they were established.

I fed about three times a day and his growth rate was not extreme. He went from 1" to maybe 4" in the two years I had him. I did have to move all three fish into a 150 after the first year.

My niger had great personality and would spit water to get my attention. Overall great fish.

prime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2008, 10:22 PM   #8
seawandrr
Registered Member

We thought we'd give the "every fish is different, lets see how ours turns out" trial of a Niger in our reef.

He never killed anyone, but after a year, he was clearly the cause of moderate to great amounts of stress in almost every other fish in the tank.

We did catch him repeatedly nipping the streamers off our fang blenny as some kind of game.

During a move, he got shifted from the reef to the FOWLR tank, where he's now in good company (another trigger and a GSM pair)

Our Reef is now a peaceful place, and the next time a trigger goes into it, it'll be a crosshatch pair after we get *that* big tank set up.

seawandrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2008, 11:27 AM   #9
LauraCline
Registered Member

thanks prime99 and seawanderr, well if I do decide to get one for the 90, he will either be alone or with 1-2 aggressive type fish. It's going to be a month or 2 before I get around to setting that tank up because I'm busy with other projects right now. In the meantime, I would like to hear more of your experiences.

Unread 02/12/2008, 06:49 PM   #10
jay2525
Registered Member

I have a pair of them in my tank. they started off 2.5 inches and are now about 3 inches. It's been about 6 months for them. They are both very docile at this point. However past experiences say that in the next year the growth will take off, and so will some aggression.

jay2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Titan*69
Registered Member

I first got a small one back in 2003 and initially things were good, rather passive and would only turn it up come feeding time. At the time it's tankmates were a couple YT damsels, hepatus tang and a PBT. Even at 2.5" the niger got chew on tail happy which cost me some fish from being stressed; I pulled him out and returned him to my LFS.

In 2005 I went into another LFS I rarely visit and they had a 5-5.5" niger in a 20L that was being strickly fed FW feeders, I felt sorry for it so I brought it home. This one is extremely dominant, but not a fish killer, he's beaten the tar out've new arrivals but everyone has made it. Even being kept with an Undulated for awhile he established himself, and would occasionally remind the Undy who's boss with a nasty chase around the tank. Tankmates stay out've his way and life goes on, he's roughly 10" and knows it..lol

The 210 won't be big enough evetually so I'll have to look into something wider and longer, maybe 450GL....

Current Tank Info: 210 with 90GL sump, 100 Undy, and a minute 40QT
Titan*69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2008, 12:36 PM   #12
bigred16
Registered Member

Here are a couple pictures of two different Niger Triggers at the Rainforest Cafe in Toronto ,Ontario, Canada the first one is really hard to see due to he hid most of the time, but I can asure you he is at least 17-18 inches( take at look at his fangs they are at least 3/4 inch in length, the second Niger is about 12" in length. Sorry for the poor pictures, hard to take when moving.

bigred16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2008, 02:31 PM   #13
LauraCline
Registered Member

Titan*69, wow - almost 5" in a little over 2 yrs even starting out so large and bigred16 those are some beautifully colored Nigers. I thought by that size they would have red teeth though, what is the deal with that? Is it the size, the sex, or the area they come from that would determine the red teeth?

Unread 02/13/2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Snapper66
Registered Member

I have a Three Iinch one and a 2 1/2 Inch for about a Year now very Little Agression ever in a 90 Gallon Tank.They are a Very Cool Trigger Fish

Current Tank Info: 135 Gallon Predator Tank with Trigger and Moray Eels and Groupers 90 Gallon Predator Tank Lyretail Grouper and Green Moray Eel and 2 Community Reef Tanks one 55 Gallon and one 56 High Top Tank and one 55 Gallon fresh Water cichlid Tank
Snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2008, 10:52 AM   #15
bigred16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LauraCline
Titan*69, wow - almost 5" in a little over 2 yrs even starting out so large and bigred16 those are some beautifully colored Nigers. I thought by that size they would have red teeth though, what is the deal with that? Is it the size, the sex, or the area they come from that would determine the red teeth?
It is hard to tell by the picture, there teeth are red or orangyred, the big one in the first photo is quite noticable and quite large

Unread 02/14/2008, 10:58 PM   #16
LauraCline
Registered Member

I'm sold. I am going to get one, hopefully it will be peaceful. I will be starting with a small one though. I don't want to risk my puffer and psuedochromis so I am going to leave them where they are. I plan to have the Niger, a foxface, 1-2 electric damsels and one of the following:

Purple Tang

Lionfish (obviously the damsels would be out if I get this guy)

Black and White Dogface Puffer

Which would work best and I assume the trigger should be added last?

Unread 02/15/2008, 07:44 AM   #17
Titan*69
Registered Member

Next time I'm in T.O I'm having a coffee at the rainforest.

Current Tank Info: 210 with 90GL sump, 100 Undy, and a minute 40QT
Titan*69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 01:33 PM   #18
VaderWS6
Registered Member

My snowflake moray just ate my Niger trigger last night.....

2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, Strano springs, SLP Bilstein shocks, GMMG exhaust

Current Tank Info: Main reef:75 gallon w/ 2 250watt Radium 20k run on a PFO dual 250watt HQI ballast w/Lumenbright mini reflectors. 4 110watt VHO actinics for dawn/dusk,Geo kalkreactor,Litermeter 3,Xtreme 160 skimmer,2 Vortech mp40w's
VaderWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2008, 07:26 PM   #19
bigred16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan*69
Next time I'm in T.O I'm having a coffee at the rainforest.
You will be amazed with the size of some of these fish, here's a few.
Red Snapper 2 years ago 10", now 2-1/2 feet length- 18" tall

Queen trigger hard to get a good picture, is 18"

French Angel 18"

Clown Trigger - 10-12"

Unread 02/15/2008, 10:06 PM   #20
LauraCline
Registered Member

Vader, i'm so sorry about your Niger, yet another reason why I will not get an eel. Red those are some sweet looking fish. I guess I need to find an excuse to go to OT.