Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2010, 12:49 AM   #1
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Talking My DIY Styrofoam Faux Rock Wall

Size: 72"x24"x8"
Cost: $15 vs. $450+ for going the eggcrate method.
Tools: a fork
Experience Level: suuuppper easy

Originaly I was going to go the eggcrate method, zip tying the rock, then the pond foam and epoxy, but the cost for that was over $450: 150lbs dry rock @$1.85lb=$277, 10 cans Touch N Foam $65, egg crate $22, epoxy $50+, sand to sprinkle for rock-like texture of pond foam $30.

The pictures do not do it justice, actually I almost didn't even post this after looking at the pictures, you really have to see it in person, it is riddled with holes and crevices, I made over 5 caves and holes with swim thru's large enough I was able to fit my arm through some and my entire hand in others, and several over hangs...plenty of places for fish to hide at night, but none of this really shows well on the pictures.

With some extra foam I made a cave-like arch to attach to the front of the wall, still have 2 more larger ones that I will make.

Without further a due, here are the pictures, many are repeated without flash so you can see the depth/dimension better...enjoy, and let me hear your feedback.

http://picasaweb.google.com/abcogrou...ofoamRockWall#

I should also mention this was the most fun DIY, even my 4yr old went to town on the foam with a fork, then he threw all the foam that was on the floor in the air as if it were snow, he had a blast.

Next: give it 3 coats of white portland cement type I, 1st coat watered down, coats 2 and 3 thicker to create a solid structure....and for those wondering yes I am going to have around 100lbs of live rock as well, this was just intended for the back as I don't like blue or black backs.

Last edited by xcelprintingcom; 02/09/2010 at 01:08 AM.
xcelprintingcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 01:40 AM   #2
schudini
Registered Member

Looks cool.

If you stare at the overview picture too long it looks like a mural of faces.

Current Tank Info: New tanks in the works. DIY Aquarium Vac (click my homepage)
schudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 02:36 AM   #3
TurboGuru
TBRC Member

That an awesome project. I can't wait to see it all done. Great Job!

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly..

"Panic will save your life, provided you are the first to panic and are headed in the right direction." Brannigan

Click on my username and go to my homepage to see my build thread.

Current Tank Info: Soon to Finish (yeah right!) my 90G SPS build.
TurboGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 05:27 AM   #4
kcress
Registered Member

Yes indeed! No epoxy, just the cement?

How are you going to keep that sucka from floating?

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Bigfoot727
Registered Member

I think you really should consider a job in the aquatic field. Great job, Jon. The pics came out nice.
P.S.
Don't forget to make holes for the close loop and overflow before you start to coat the foam.
The waiting to see the final set up is too much!

Bigfoot727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 09:27 AM   #6
salty joe
Registered Member

Very cool.
How thick is the Styrofoam? How will you attach it to the tank? Is this for your acrylic 180?

Unread 02/09/2010, 09:31 AM   #7
fishoutawater
Registered Member

I have done this before on a couple of cichlid tanks, it looks great when done. You can also color the cement when you are painting it on. Yours looks awesome, looking forward to seeing it done. I attached mine with silicone, is that how you are doing yours?

fishoutawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Bigfoot727
Registered Member

I wonder with all the projects Jon does, does he ever find time to sleep?

Bigfoot727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 11:10 AM   #9
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by schudini View Post
Looks cool.

If you stare at the overview picture too long it looks like a mural of faces.
Thanks, yes those holes in the upper right corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuru View Post
That an awesome project. I can't wait to see it all done. Great Job!
Thanks, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcress View Post
How are you going to keep that sucka from floating?
Silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot727 View Post
I think you really should consider a job in the aquatic field. Great job, Jon. The pics came out nice.
P.S.
Don't forget to make holes for the close loop and overflow before you start to coat the foam.
The waiting to see the final set up is too much!
Thanks, Yeah I need to cut those out with the hot foam cutter, hopefully none will be where I made holes/swim thru's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
Very cool.
How thick is the Styrofoam? How will you attach it to the tank? Is this for your acrylic 180?
I used 2 sheets of 4'x8'x2", cut them down to 2'x6', that gave me 4 slabs for a total of 8", and the left over is 4 2'x2' squares for 8" which I used a small piece to make that cave, going to make 2 larger caves with the remaining foam. Yes it's for the 180 acrylic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoutawater View Post
I have done this before on a couple of cichlid tanks, it looks great when done. You can also color the cement when you are painting it on. Yours looks awesome, looking forward to seeing it done. I attached mine with silicone, is that how you are doing yours?
I'm going to stay away from coloring the cement, it will look like white base rock, but not for long as I'm going to use a couple of methods for speeding the purple coraline algea. Yes attaching with silicone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot727 View Post
I wonder with all the projects Jon does, does he ever find time to sleep?
The excitement and anticipation give me the energy to stay up.

Unread 02/09/2010, 01:02 PM   #10
imchris
Registered Member

Looks great man! I was thinking at first that it may be easier to carve out the foam like a mold and then apply the cement to the inside. I think it would be much harder to get the level of detail you have though if you did it that way.

imchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 01:22 PM   #11
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by imchris View Post
Looks great man! I was thinking at first that it may be easier to carve out the foam like a mold and then apply the cement to the inside. I think it would be much harder to get the level of detail you have though if you did it that way.
Thanks, Yes it would be substantially difficult as you would have to carve a "negative" to use as a mold, and then you would end up with a super heavy structure, where as this one i don't even think it weighs 2lbs, and this was way easy.

Can't wait to start on the cement tonight.

Unread 02/09/2010, 04:19 PM   #12
kcress
Registered Member

They use Styrofoam to hold up concrete covered boat docks. Are you sure the Styrofoam is not just going to rip off of any silicone you try to adhere it with?

Here's why: 72" x 24" x 8" = 13,824 cubic inches.

That equals 59 gallons of displacement.

59 gallons of displacement delivers 491 lbs of buoyancy.

I have a hard time accepting that you could put 500 lbs of pull on Styrofoam without the face just ripping off. It's normally used in compression. Gluing it down puts it in tension. It's rather like concrete in that it's very, very good, in compression and lousy in tension.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diss your plan. I want it to work as I dislike the whole foam/epoxy method as kludgy, messy, and fraught with gotchas. I would love to see Styrofoam work out as I have to do something soon myself.

Unread 02/09/2010, 05:18 PM   #13
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcress View Post
They use Styrofoam to hold up concrete covered boat docks. Are you sure the Styrofoam is not just going to rip off of any silicone you try to adhere it with?

Here's why: 72" x 24" x 8" = 13,824 cubic inches.

That equals 59 gallons of displacement.

59 gallons of displacement delivers 491 lbs of buoyancy.

I have a hard time accepting that you could put 500 lbs of pull on Styrofoam without the face just ripping off. It's normally used in compression. Gluing it down puts it in tension. It's rather like concrete in that it's very, very good, in compression and lousy in tension.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diss your plan. I want it to work as I dislike the whole foam/epoxy method as kludgy, messy, and fraught with gotchas. I would love to see Styrofoam work out as I have to do something soon myself.
Positive, this is exaclty what others have done as well on even grander scales with success....it won't go anywhere.

Unread 02/09/2010, 05:20 PM   #14
imchris
Registered Member

You're leaving all the foam in there? I thought the foam came out after the cement dried?

imchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 05:26 PM   #15
reefrubble
Premium Member

Jon , That looks great . I can't wait to see it after it gets some age on it . (color and stuff growing on it . ) I did a faux rock wall on the back , and one end of my tank . I also used some foam , but only to secure the wall to the tank . I did my wall , because I hated cleaning the back of my tank . I guess you can say I did it because I'm lazy , but I do like the way it looks . Ted

Save the reefs , Grow your own

Current Tank Info: Marineland 300 DD Tank Custom metal stand , and canopy DIY LED lighting I-Tech Super Beast skimmer . I do not have a tank at this time . I sold the 300 Gal. system
reefrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 07:07 PM   #16
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by imchris View Post
You're leaving all the foam in there? I thought the foam came out after the cement dried?
Yes the foam stays, originally i was going to coat in epoxy and and create a shell then melt the foam away with acetone and just have a shell, but epoxy was going to set me back 50+, and I already had some portland cement laying around.

Unread 02/09/2010, 07:10 PM   #17
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrubble View Post
Jon , That looks great . I can't wait to see it after it gets some age on it . (color and stuff growing on it . ) I did a faux rock wall on the back , and one end of my tank . I also used some foam , but only to secure the wall to the tank . I did my wall , because I hated cleaning the back of my tank . I guess you can say I did it because I'm lazy , but I do like the way it looks . Ted
Ted,
Thanks, I just started to cut the holes for the returns and closed loop, what a pain, and cutting it into 3 or 4 sections to place in the tank.

Played around with a small corner applying cement.

It's gonna be a late night for me.

Unread 02/09/2010, 07:36 PM   #18
reefrubble
Premium Member

Jon , What are you mixing with the portland cement ? I used White Portland , sand , shells , and fine rock salt . I got the idea to do my faux rock wall from sunkool . I saw his tank , and thought no more cleaning the back wall , great . He also told me how he made his mixture . If you let the cement air cure for 21 days you won't need to cure it in water for so long . Ted

Current Tank Info: Marineland 300 DD Tank Custom metal stand , and canopy DIY LED lighting I-Tech Super Beast skimmer . I do not have a tank at this time . I sold the 300 Gal. system
Unread 02/09/2010, 09:42 PM   #19
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Quote:
Jon , What are you mixing with the portland cement ? I used White Portland , sand , shells , and fine rock salt . I got the idea to do my faux rock wall from sunkool . I saw his tank , and thought no more cleaning the back wall , great . He also told me how he made his mixture . If you let the cement air cure for 21 days you won't need to cure it in water for so long . Ted
Because it's styrofoam and it breaks up tiny particles very easily even while brushing the cement on, I'm just doing cement by itself.

I just now finished cutting and trimming all the pieces to fit inside the tank, and going to start applying the cemnt....only one problem, the cement which I bought as white portland cement which is what I used to make my DIY rock, I mixed some in a red Solo cup with water to a milkshake consistency and applied some over an hour ago to a small area, and its still pasty with a very light hue of green, not white as I recall it. I remember when I did my DIY rock it dried white and any tools that were left dirty dried rather quickly, now I'm baffled.

Unread 02/10/2010, 06:46 AM   #20
reefrubble
Premium Member

When you made your rock , what did you mix with the portland ?

Unread 02/10/2010, 11:41 AM   #21
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Quote:
When you made your rock , what did you mix with the portland ?
Crushed oyster shell and rock salt.

Unread 02/10/2010, 01:00 PM   #22
reefrubble
Premium Member

When you mix other things in with the cement it drys quicker . How is it doing now ?

Unread 02/10/2010, 01:13 PM   #23
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Quote:
When you mix other things in with the cement it drys quicker . How is it doing now ?
Last night i didn't get to apply cement, spent most of my time cutting into sections and shaving off the top to fit into the tank, however this morning the solo cup I had left with some cement mix in it was rock solid, but the small area I applied cement to you could scrape it off, was chalky, not sure if Imixed it well enough....in anycase today I get to apply cemnt so we'll see.

I thought maybe the cement I had left over inthe bg went bad, the bag had been left partially open (cement doest go bad does it?)

Unread 02/10/2010, 01:31 PM   #24
reefrubble
Premium Member

You have a Pm

Unread 02/10/2010, 04:59 PM   #25
kcress
Registered Member

reefrubble why are you taking this private? How can we learn from that?