Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2013, 11:18 PM   #1176
asid61
Registered Member

I just re-programmed the Typhon. Now, it has the following:
-48 points of control per day, with auto calculation of power 24/7
-255 steps of dimming (255 is 100%)
-EEPROM memory storage
-Acclimation mode, up to 30 days long
-Lighting test, to test different powers of each channel

Attached is a .zip with the Typhon folder in it, a guide to navigating the menu, and a "DS1307" folder, which you drag and drop into the "libraries" subfolder of Arduino 1.0.5. You will need to download 1.0.5 in order to use the code and library.

If you don't want to set 48 settings for each channel, then wait a week or two and I'll have a better version up with less settings needed (and lighting parabolas! And weather effects!) .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Typhon controller mod button mapping.jpg (24.9 KB, 303 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Typhon_improved_code.zip (74.4 KB, 340 views)
asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 02:50 PM   #1177
89Delta
Moved On

Does this new code work with the button library? If so i'm guessing there is an updated library correct.

89Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 05:16 PM   #1178
asid61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Delta View Post
Does this new code work with the button library? If so i'm guessing there is an updated library correct.
You don't need the button library. The DS1307 library is the only external library you need; the rest are included in the 1.0.5 Arduino software.

Unread 07/28/2013, 02:26 PM   #1179
89Delta
Moved On

Cool.....I noticed the lightning and cloud variable within your code. Will be excited to see it implemented. I'm actually working on something similar with weather but am stumped at the lightning part right now. I have tried another members (snorkler I believe) weather pattern sketch but I can't seem to get the data for the lighting intensity for all 4 channels...just two of them.

89Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2013, 08:26 PM   #1180
marspeed
Registered Member

Where can I get

Can someone post a link to the google site for the typhon or does any one have any boards I need two

Thanks
Marc

marspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2013, 11:16 PM   #1181
asid61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Delta View Post
Cool.....I noticed the lightning and cloud variable within your code. Will be excited to see it implemented. I'm actually working on something similar with weather but am stumped at the lightning part right now. I have tried another members (snorkler I believe) weather pattern sketch but I can't seem to get the data for the lighting intensity for all 4 channels...just two of them.
I have not yet added in clouds and lightning unfortunately. Next update for sure.

Unread 07/29/2013, 09:42 AM   #1182
mm.reefs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marspeed View Post
Where can I get
Can someone post a link to the google site for the typhon or does any one have any boards I need two

Thanks
Marc
Typhon Files (software/hardware)
http://code.google.com/p/typhon-reef.../browse/trunk/

mm.reefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2013, 05:39 PM   #1183
BBM3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudedudedude View Post
How would you wire the PWM signal to Meanwell LDD drivers. Is it the same as shown for the typhoon here:

http://s451.photobucket.com/user/ajm...476a1.jpg.html

Thanks,
Sean

Sean,

For which project?
For Typhon the link you posted is correct.
For Jarduino with Mega2560 use PWM pins 7-13.
http://code.google.com/p/jarduino-aq...a.pdf&can=2&q=

-BB

BBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2013, 03:21 PM   #1184
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

I really need to read up on how to program these things, it seems like a fairly straight forward type of programming language. As it stands I'm not a big fan of what the Typhoon does, don't get me wrong, it works great for a controller. But one thing I'd like to do is to perhaps put the lighting cycles into the code, because honestly how often are you going to reprogram the timing? Then change the menu options to do something like "only channel 1 on" "only channel 2 on" etc, as that's the only real time I'd want to fiddle with it is to show off to people various colors over the tank to highlight different fluorescent patterns and what not.

Unread 07/30/2013, 08:13 PM   #1185
zachts
Registered Member

that's sort of the best part of a controller based on opensource easily manipulated software and hardware, everyone will want something a little different and it's pretty easy to manipulate the code and or hardware to get it doing exactly what you want for a particular situation.

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2013, 08:10 AM   #1186
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
that's sort of the best part of a controller based on opensource easily manipulated software and hardware, everyone will want something a little different and it's pretty easy to manipulate the code and or hardware to get it doing exactly what you want for a particular situation.
These threads just make me dizzy... quick question:
any Typhon/adruno code that will allow multiple on/off/fade times per 24hr per channel??? I know I could "gang" outputs but that limits the easy 4 available

Sorry if it was staring me in the face.. but there is a LOT of info here..

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2013, 12:53 PM   #1187
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
Yup, now it's just a matter of looking through the original code, and seeing how to "reverse engineer" it. Everything that I want it already does, just in a different way, of course first I need a USB interface so I can get a computer to talk to the damned thing

Unread 07/31/2013, 01:12 PM   #1188
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
Yup, now it's just a matter of looking through the original code, and seeing how to "reverse engineer" it. Everything that I want it already does, just in a different way, of course first I need a USB interface so I can get a computer to talk to the damned thing
I'm not sure where it all went, but there used to be a few different versions of the Typhon firmware in the repository. Personally, I like and use DustinB's version of the firmware. It differs from the original, in that it features an extra MINIMUM value for the leds (moonlights anyone?) and a revamped menu system. There's also some Dallas one wire temp sensor capability buried in the code. I'll post it back into this thread if there's interest.

O2Surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2013, 01:21 PM   #1189
marspeed
Registered Member

I am intrested in the dallas temp
I think a led controller should do three things leds temp and fans then it is complete

Unread 07/31/2013, 04:01 PM   #1190
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marspeed View Post
I am intrested in the dallas temp
I think a led controller should do three things leds temp and fans then it is complete

Here you go. Use Arduino 18 -23 to compile the code. It's not compatible with Arduino 1.0

Attached Files
File Type: zip Typhon_B.zip (8.6 KB, 175 views)
Unread 07/31/2013, 06:01 PM   #1191
marspeed
Registered Member

Thank you

Unread 08/11/2013, 08:51 AM   #1192
gutty
Registered Member

Hi
this is my first post and I speak a "maccaroni" english, so don't
I'm very interested in Typhon code for Arduino and I've seen Asid61 inproved code.
My Arduino(uno) ide is 1.0.5, display hd44870 with SPI, DS1307
I've installed the right library but if i loud the code on arduino the display show the screens running in loop very fastly and I can't do anything to stop it!
Where I'm going wrong?
thanks!

gutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2013, 11:19 PM   #1193
asid61
Registered Member

Okay, I just finished a new code! Link here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2329889
No weather, but it's much better than the one I posted above. Only 14 settings to make a nice bell curve.

Unread 09/09/2013, 02:11 PM   #1194
Speedbump858
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Since there are at least a few people with these in-hand or in-construction, I wanted to add a few quick notes about actual use.

First, a photo. Excuse the fact that there are missing components and other "issues" as this was an early prototype I was messing around with. It's also important to note that this is from the first run of boards - the files uploaded have some silkscreen text fixes I'll point out below.

This is the Typhon without the LCD plugged in, so you can see the guts. There are 4 areas of interest with red numbers:

3) The output header. This is a 2-row 90 degree header for connecting your LED drivers. There are actually two 4-pair headers right next to each other, depending on if you're using 5v or 10v outputs. The bottom 4, populated in this photo, are for 10v PWM outputs (i.e. meanwell ELN drivers). The top four, not populated, are for 5v outputs (i.e. buckpucks or most DIY drivers). You only need to populate the four you'll actually be using, no sense wasting headers if you'll never need them. It's VERY IMPORTANT to get polarity correct here, and this is where the silkscreen was corrected. In this 1st-run prototype board, the silk labels - down below the pins on the empty section of board - are BACKWARDS. If you look at the header from the side of the board, the ground pins are the TOP of each pair, and the signal (positive) pins are the BOTTOM of each pair. These are standard .1" male headers I used on this board, so you can use any common square pin .1" female connector - so called "header connectors" or even bits of female headers, or whatever your preference is. These are very common at hobby electronics vendors, and at hobby shops that deal in R/C hobbies, since R/C receivers use .1" connectors, too.
!
Hi DWZM,

Thanks for the work you have put into this project.

In 3, you noted the following:

50 <-0-5v PWM
10 <-0-10v PWM

are the 1s and 5s in my diagram all grounds?

Do I have the pairs right? I.E. 50 is one pair

Thanks

Speedbump858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2013, 07:30 AM   #1195
liquidbud
Registered Member

Got my Typhon built and thought I did an excellent job soldering, but upon applying power it won't turn on. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot what I did wrong? I know enough to build, but not enough to figure out what I did wrong. There are no solder bridges anywhere, and I'm 99% sure nothing got overheated or zapped by static electricity.

Hmmm...

I do have extra parts to build another, maybe I'll do that if you guys can't help me solve my ignorance. lol

liquidbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2013, 01:48 AM   #1196
asid61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidbud View Post
Got my Typhon built and thought I did an excellent job soldering, but upon applying power it won't turn on. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot what I did wrong? I know enough to build, but not enough to figure out what I did wrong. There are no solder bridges anywhere, and I'm 99% sure nothing got overheated or zapped by static electricity.

Hmmm...

I do have extra parts to build another, maybe I'll do that if you guys can't help me solve my ignorance. lol
Make sure the power regulator is in the right way.

Unread 10/07/2013, 06:12 AM   #1197
liquidbud
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I had everything in the right way, but maybe I damaged something in the process.

I spent my Saturday morning on build #2 and it powered on just fine. Haven't gotten to sketch it yet, but it appears to be fully operational.

liquidbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2013, 10:40 AM   #1198
shark boy
Registered Member

atmega328p-pu

I need a new atmega328p-pu for my Typhon. seems I shorted an ldd and the reverse currrent went back to my Typhon. Now I can't get it to reprogram. I keep getting sync errors.
Anyone out there got one they don't want an arm and a leg for?

shark boy

shark boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2013, 11:53 AM   #1199
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark boy View Post
I need a new atmega328p-pu for my Typhon. seems I shorted an ldd and the reverse currrent went back to my Typhon. Now I can't get it to reprogram. I keep getting sync errors.
Anyone out there got one they don't want an arm and a leg for?

shark boy
I've got 10 of 'em with the "optiboot" bootloader already installed. Send me a PM and we'll make a deal.

Unread 11/24/2013, 03:59 PM   #1200
normski
Registered Member

help please

i am looking for one of these to control the lunar cycle on my rgb led strip drivers,
will this build work on led strips and does anyone have a pre built one or a link to a pre built i could purchase.
if not i have the typhon manual but was just looking at running the led strips

normski is offline   Reply With Quote