Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build

I'm currently in the beginning stages…Planning of what I hope to be an 8' tank I'll be building next year in the wall of basement and have the unfinished part serve as my 'fish/filtration room'. I'm looking to have a thread opened to further discuss my options and run everything by everyone that's had more experience with larger systems. With the size of system and money involved I want to make sure everything is thought out well so I don't pay for it later. With current planning I'm estimating a total system volume of 800-1000 gallons.

Desired Display Tank Dimensions: 96"X36"X28" w/ Starphire front glass and coast to coast overflow. (I'm still in the midst of getting some quotes from various vendors and am open to recommendations. I'm also on the fence about going with Acrylic or not but am 80% sure I'll go glass for the longevity.

Propagation Tank: 54"X36"X18" (Just picked this up last week)
Sump/Refugium/QT: Still need ideas and recommendations. Based on the drawings outlined below I’d like to have the equipment in the designated areas. For scaling and perspective on size, the yellow square is 2’X2’ and the red square is the sump/qt/refugium area. I also have room under the Propagation tank for sump/refugium/etc…

With this all being said, I’m looking to take a phased approach on the build.

Phase 1: Initial Planning to ensure propagation tank is in considerations.
Phase 2: Get Propagation tank up and running as I miss my reef I had to tear down 5 months ago before moving
Phase 3: Plan, Plan, Plan, and Plan!
Phase 4: Build out sump/refugium/QT for preparation of DT
Phase 5: Get DT up and running

Since Phase 1 is to get the system laid out for scalability and the addition of the QT/Sumps/Refuge/DT later this is the first focus as well as what the plans are for the QT.

First ?s:

- Should I go with 2 X MP40s in the propagation tank or a combination of an MP10 and MP40?
- I have a 48” fixture with 2 X 250 Watt MHs and 2 X 54 Watt T5s. I’d guess that I’m not going to get enough light from this to light the whole tank? If I end up going to LED on the DT should I also have LEDs over the Propagation system?
- Propagation tank is made of 3/8" acrylic. Should I reinforce in any other ways than it is now?

I’m done rambling now and will try to keep updates to a tolerable length Below are some sketches of current plans and prop tank I just picked up!

Overall Picture of Basement and placement of fish room/DT:

Closer look at 'Fish Room':

Propagation Tank:

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Red face Questions cont'd...

Below is the configuration I was thinking of using with the MP40 and MP10 configuration. My thought was having some of the lower flow corals in the back third of the grow out/propagation tank and having all the SPS in the front two thirds.

The 'DT' area of the tank is 119.7 gallons. With the MP40/MP10 configuration I'm looking at a flow of 39.89 times the tank volume. With two MP40s it would be 53.46 times the tank volume (But have the flexibility of dialing the Powerheads back). Let me know what you thing!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Unread 09/29/2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Haffs09
Registered Member

Looks like an exciting project!

I'd go with two MP40s and dial them down as needed. Depending on the program you run them on, you may not dial them down at all. You could also go with a MP60 for the time being and move that to your DT once that gets setup.

One thing to consider for your DT is the tank weight. I have a similar sized tank as you're thinking about. It's 3/4" glass and weights approximately 720lbs. It's one thing to move a tank like from outside to inside on the same floor. It will take some careful planning to move it safely down into your basement. You can see what I did in my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1831347

Good luck!

Unread 09/29/2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Batreef
Registered Member

looks like an awesome build you got there. cant wait to see how everything turns out. should be fun trying to get that down stairs....... love the auto cad

Batreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haffs09 View Post
Looks like an exciting project!

I'd go with two MP40s and dial them down as needed. Depending on the program you run them on, you may not dial them down at all. You could also go with a MP60 for the time being and move that to your DT once that gets setup.

One thing to consider for your DT is the tank weight. I have a similar sized tank as you're thinking about. It's 3/4" glass and weights approximately 720lbs. It's one thing to move a tank like from outside to inside on the same floor. It will take some careful planning to move it safely down into your basement. You can see what I did in my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1831347

Good luck!
I appreciate the input and this is the only reason I'm on the fence about going with acrylic Based on the quotes I've been getting acrylic would be cheaper too. With the stairs and height of ceiling (9 ft) I'd guess I'd have to set the tank on its end at bottom of stairs to maneuver and get through the door. I was actually thinking about going ahead building a replica of the tank with cardboard boxes so I could see how we'd carry it. With four strong guys being the only ones able to carry downstairs that'd be nearly 180 pounds each! I'll be reading through build thread later once off work and some free time.

Unread 09/29/2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batreef View Post
looks like an awesome build you got there. cant wait to see how everything turns out. should be fun trying to get that down stairs....... love the auto cad
Bat, thanks for the compliments. I've just recently started playing with the 3d modeling and am using Google Sketchup. This is some of my first models but the tank, stand, and basement are all scaled to the same exact dimensions so I can move things around without any physical labor involved I want to have a drawn out plan before I start spending the money on the system. I'd like to have the propagation system up and running in the next couple weeks so I can allow something to mature since I had to sell other tank!

Unread 09/29/2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Haffs,

I just had some time to review your thread and I've actually looked over it in the past and is one of the basement equipment buildouts I'd like to model mine after. You did a very clean job on the tiered approach and that's exactly what I'd like to do. If you have some more pics of the basement plumbing and equipment it would be greatly appreciated!

As far as the ramp goes, I could see doing similar to the following into my back door but still unsure how I could simplify going down the basement stairs as they are a pretty steep pitch.

Unread 09/29/2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Haffs09
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words. I modeled my tank with 2x4s to make sure I could maneuver it into place and that worked out very well. If you go the glass route, it might be worth your while asking a few local moving companies. I thought long and hard about how to get my tank in place. In hindsight, with all the thought and effort I put into it, paying a moving company a couple hundred dollars (I don't know what it really would have cost) would have been a worth it.

I'll try to snap some pics this weekend. I do plan on changing my layout down the road and I'll give some more details when I post the pics.

Unread 09/30/2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Thanks Haffs!

Anyone else have responses to following ?s:

- Should I go with 2 X MP40s in the propagation tank or a combination of an MP10 and MP40?
- I have a 48” fixture with 2 X 250 Watt MHs and 2 X 54 Watt T5s. I’d guess that I’m not going to get enough light from this to light the whole tank? (Even if I suspend up higher above water) If I end up going to LED on the DT should I also have LEDs over the Propagation system?
- Propagation tank is made of 3/8" acrylic. Should I reinforce in any other ways than it is now?

I'm hoping to get some water in the tank soon and this weekend I'll be doing a lot of thinking and layouts in sketchup that I'll post for recommendations....

Unread 10/02/2011, 08:26 PM   #10
dprill
Premium Member

Following along here... well planned and thought out..

As for the powerheads, I would go with 2 MP40s personally, and if they end up being too much flow, you can always move one to your DT..

Darin

dprill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I got a good Visio model from dprill that I'll be hacking up to show flow patterns I plan for my tank.

I've actually came across something that I'm looking to buy for the DT which should give me a better idea of what the design will look like. Currently trying to see if I can get this beast into my basement but is a little bit longer than I planned and a bit taller.

Dimensions are 132"X30"X30" and comes out to ~514 gallons for the DT.

I'll be building a cardboard replica of it tonight to see if I can squeeze it down the stairs and into the 'fish room'!

Unread 10/04/2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Scottdl99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
I got a good Visio model from dprill that I'll be hacking up to show flow patterns I plan for my tank.

I've actually came across something that I'm looking to buy for the DT which should give me a better idea of what the design will look like. Currently trying to see if I can get this beast into my basement but is a little bit longer than I planned and a bit taller.

Dimensions are 132"X30"X30" and comes out to ~514 gallons for the DT.

I'll be building a cardboard replica of it tonight to see if I can squeeze it down the stairs and into the 'fish room'!
That's a nice tank. I seen it up and running. Luke did a nice job on it

Scottdl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Thanks for the words of encouragement Scott. I've not looked in person but am hoping it will fit after measuring tonight. If it does hopefully I can pick it up this weekend!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Unread 10/04/2011, 10:51 AM   #14
leslie hempel
Registered Member

wow thats a big boy.. good luck..

leslie hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2011, 11:03 AM   #15
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie hempel View Post
wow thats a big boy.. good luck..
I might need the luck to get it down to basement...hopefully my cardboard replica works out!

Unread 10/04/2011, 06:52 PM   #16
trickedout900
Registered Member

Simply awesome!

trickedout900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I'm anxiously awaiting the exact dimensions of the tank and stand! It would fit perfectly in the wall but not sure I can move it down my stairs and make the turn. I started making a replica sized tank out off boxes and did not work well....I picked up some PvC/joints at Lowes tonight and have postponed building the replica until I have exact dimensions.

I'm hoping I can make the turn but my basement ceilings are finished at ten feet...I'm really having my doubts

Unread 10/05/2011, 06:08 AM   #18
alanbates12
Registered Member.

following along. What are you using to do the drawings

alanbates12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2011, 06:53 AM   #19
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
Bat, thanks for the compliments. I've just recently started playing with the 3d modeling and am using Google Sketchup. This is some of my first models but the tank, stand, and basement are all scaled to the same exact dimensions so I can move things around without any physical labor involved I want to have a drawn out plan before I start spending the money on the system. I'd like to have the propagation system up and running in the next couple weeks so I can allow something to mature since I had to sell other tank!
See earlier post^^^ Great free program and really easy to pick up if your savvy on computer and have had some experience with something such as PhotoShop.

Unread 10/05/2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

No Go on the beast above:(

So after some further investigations seems that the beast (132X30X30) is not going to work. Unfortunately Luke still has the tank now and I'm not going to be taking it off his hands I was like a school kid all day waiting to get home with dimensions to build a PVC replica!

Below is pic of it when trying to tilt on its PVC replica while trying to tilt on its end and maneuver into basement:

Here's another view:

Unfortunately drywall is not going to be an option taking out at this point because of two walls being load bearing and the header being a steal beam

Unread 10/06/2011, 09:41 AM   #21
trickedout900
Registered Member

That sucks man, it would have been a sweet tank.

trickedout900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 09:44 AM   #22
dprill
Premium Member

So what is plan B?

dprill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 04:26 PM   #23
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

My original plan was to go with a 96"X36"X30" but I came across the plywood/glass tank that was nearly 12 feet long and would work in the area which I'd like to put the tank in. That being said it would not make it down the stairs without taking out a load bearing wall and don't really want to ruin my house's structural warranty over a good deal on a tank as my house is worth much more

So back to original Plan A!

Below is my PVC mock up of the 96"X36"X30" tank I'd like to get sometime next year when I've got the moneys built up a bit more This is how I'd have to tilt the tank and move it into its final resting place. With this I only have a few inches to spare.

Sat on it's end:

Wall which I'll have tank installed on. Original plan was in wall with one side viewable but the more and more I look the more I think about having three sides viewable...Thoughts?

I'm going to put my focus back on getting my prop tank up and running and stick to my guns now.

Unread 10/08/2011, 05:00 PM   #24
alanbates12
Registered Member.

Just looked at your drawings and look like the inside stair wall should not be a load bearing wall. If this is the room your going to put your tank in it would be awesome to take out that wall to install your tank and then put back a hand rail so as you come down the stairs you could see the tank. Don't think that would cost very much at all. Heck if I lived closer I'd come do it just to see that tank. Just a thought. That would be a sweet tank. Good Luck

Last edited by alanbates12; 10/08/2011 at 05:08 PM.
alanbates12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2011, 06:19 PM   #25
JohnM99
Premium Member

Have you considered having it built in place? That is one way to deal with limited access room. Also - as said above - a heavy weight is one thing carrying across level ground. Manuevering it down tight stairs is quite another - seems to quadruple the weight!
Good luck.

JohnM99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantik, in-wall tank, indmas, leds, mixed reef, orphek, reefaholic