Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2012, 09:17 PM   #501
Bill 6069
Registered Member

Peter,

Thank you for welcoming us into your home today.

Your tank is a magnificent creation that most can only dream of.

Yours and Shawn's willingness to openly share not oniy your succeses but also the dificulties encounterd along the way are certainly an inspiration to all reef enthusiasts.

As you have learned from and paid tribute to the four masters, many others have and will continue to be motivated to continuously create the best reef enviroment possible with their given resources.

Bill

Bill 6069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 09:19 PM   #502
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman187 View Post
Thank you so much for hosting all of us today, not only was it a great day to ride the Bike all the way to Oakville, but by the time i could pick my jaw up off the ground think i ate every bug between your place and home! simple amazing, i can't belive how little justice that pictures do to this amazing tank and setup. I thank you again so much for this glimpse into your ocean side resort.

Scott
Thanks very much Scott. Personally I can never understand giving up 4 wheels for two but it could be that I have led too much of a sheltered life. It was great to meet you and I look forward to the next meeting which Mr. Wilson has assured me will take place next summer.....Time to take the wheels back out....

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 09:37 PM   #503
Padrino
Registered Member

Peter and team,
Thanks for hosting the tank tour this afternoon, I was very happy to finally see the tank in person after following this thread since the days it traveled through the window with the Amhurst crane crew.

The pictures on this thread don't do justice even though you have a SWEET camera. There really is nothing like seeing this in person. Thank you again for opening up your home to us and sharing this tank with all of us.
Cheers
Rob

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 07:27 AM   #504
chingchai
Premium Member

You guys are so lucky to see Peter's tank.
I wish I can have one chance to be there too.
BTW, any pictures of you guys get together?

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 07:38 AM   #505
brockboi
Registered Member

I don't believe there was a picture of everyone together. Something that definitely should have been done! I was surprised to hear yesterday that you and Peter have never met before and that Florida will be the first time. The tank alone is well worth the trip to the Great White North! Much respect was paid to your influence on the project yesterday chingchai. You paved the way for practice and communication!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post

brockboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2012, 04:15 PM   #506
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Although you were not there in person Chingchai, everyone in the room knows that you were the primary inspiration for this tank.I did have Rob Baxter there who you may remember did the videos of the tank a few months ago. He took some video of everyone at the tour and we agreed that we would post the episode after Rob has a chance to edit it. We think it will take him a couple of weeks.

I was very lucky to meet so many polite nice people through the forum and Mr. Wilson's store. The people involved in this hobby seem to be very kind and generous. It was a great afternoon and I learned a lot from everyone I talked to.

I am planning quite an extensive renovation of the fish room so the next couple of months should be interesting on the thread. Its probably a good thing that we can't play golf in the Canadian winter. There are a few that try but they are crazy!!!!! Or is it the other way around, I forget!

Peter

Unread 10/22/2012, 04:21 PM   #507
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Peter and team,
Thanks for hosting the tank tour this afternoon, I was very happy to finally see the tank in person after following this thread since the days it traveled through the window with the Amhurst crane crew.

The pictures on this thread don't do justice even though you have a SWEET camera. There really is nothing like seeing this in person. Thank you again for opening up your home to us and sharing this tank with all of us.
Cheers
Rob
Thanks Rob, I'm glad you were able to make it. I think you were definitely one of the founding members of this thread community so it was fitting that you finally got to see it in person. Now that you have seen this one all you need to do is visit Chingchai and Andy's tank to have checked off your bucket list.

Thanks again Rob for your continuing support.

Peter

Unread 10/22/2012, 04:25 PM   #508
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 6069 View Post
Peter,

Thank you for welcoming us into your home today.

Your tank is a magnificent creation that most can only dream of.

Yours and Shawn's willingness to openly share not oniy your succeses but also the dificulties encounterd along the way are certainly an inspiration to all reef enthusiasts.

As you have learned from and paid tribute to the four masters, many others have and will continue to be motivated to continuously create the best reef enviroment possible with their given resources.

Bill
Thank you very much for the generous praise. Its the positive culture that this forum has had on this project that I believe everyone on this thread can take credit for. I for one am very proud of everyones contribution to the success of this tank.

Peter

Unread 10/22/2012, 04:39 PM   #509
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carant View Post
Hello All,

I too had the opportunity today to view Peter's tank and meet him and some of his team; Dave, Shawn and Shawn's lovely assistant.

Simply a living work of art and science that words and pictures can not do justice to.

This tank and thread have been amazing for Reef Central and the hobby as it is one of the prime examples of how the internet can be used to join a group of individuals with the common goal of sharing and learning.

Thank you Peter for your hospitality today and your time and commitment to the hobby.

Very few people have the resources to create a tank exactly like your’s, however, everyone that reads your Thread and wants to learn has no reason not to have the same kind of success whether their system is a 30, 65 or 600 gallons.

Thank you for not being selfish and just keeping your hobby to yourself. Sharing to the level you have is beyond the normal call of duty and we are all better off because of you.

Cheers,
Bruce and Claire
Bruce and Claire, thank you very much for coming by, it was a great day. I very much agree with your sentiments expressed that size and cost are NOT a guarantee for success but attitude can go along way to ensuring success regardless of scale. If I didn't know when I started I certainly do now that selfishness is a fast path to disaster for a hobby like this one that is so dependent on the body of knowledge and experience that is fostered in this community. We depend on sharing which in a sense should be a requisite for any successful family in pursuit of a healthy outcome. So its a two way street that I hope we can continue to maintain in the months and years to come.

I look forward to seeing you folks again at next years update.

Peter

Unread 10/23/2012, 06:39 AM   #510
deadmeat
Registered Member

Wow! What more can I say?

Tom

650 Gallon grow-out swimming pool
deadmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2012, 07:50 PM   #511
TYSDADI
Registered Member

Hello Nineball, Mr.Wilson,
May I say that you entire thread is quite the inspiration!
I have tried to recreate your mangrove wall on a somewhat smaller scale. I have 3 tanks that are 4' long by 6" wide by 6" deep.
Do you keep any livestock in yours? (Besides the mangroves of course.)
How many mangroves per gallon of total water volume do you suggest?
Thanks,
James

TYSDADI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2012, 08:35 PM   #512
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSDADI View Post
Hello Nineball, Mr.Wilson,
May I say that you entire thread is quite the inspiration!
I have tried to recreate your mangrove wall on a somewhat smaller scale. I have 3 tanks that are 4' long by 6" wide by 6" deep.
Do you keep any livestock in yours? (Besides the mangroves of course.)
How many mangroves per gallon of total water volume do you suggest?
Thanks,
James
We started off with pods that were only a couple inches apart, knowing that not all of the pods would properly root. We still lose a few of them even after a year of growth.

The tanks are too small for fish, but we keep some snails, starfish and crabs with them. Mysis shrimp spontaneously showed up in the mangrove tanks, but I have never seen them anywhere else in the system.

After a year of weekly plucking, it appears that the pink cotton candy hair algae has finally died off. I'm not sure if it's the slow flow or plasma lights that caused it to grow in the mangrove system, maybe both.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2012, 03:51 AM   #513
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Sean, do you think that the pink algae may have been stealing a bit of the nutrients in the mud but can no longer reach any from the surface area? just thinking out loud

as for the last reader post: a 6 x 6 " limits what sorts of fish would be happy. I can not think of one I would trust not to jump out yet still thrive in the narrow slip

if that person is set on a fish for those runs then I would suggest looking outside the normal range of reef fish: maybe check with someone like John at reef cleaners who does some of his own collecting or Gulf Marine Supply

Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2012, 07:28 AM   #514
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Yes, there could be nutrients leaching from the miracle mud. It is the only part of the system that has this substrate.

Unread 10/24/2012, 08:04 AM   #515
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
Yes, there could be nutrients leaching from the miracle mud. It is the only part of the system that has this substrate.
This is somewhat off topic but relates to the "mud".

Many many moons ago I had freshwater and always had trouble growing Amazon Swords. About 15 years ago I built a tank for my daughter in which I use clay cat litter with some plant soil. The plants grew like weeds. In fact I frequently cut them back. The tank also had trouble with nitrates, which is why I asked about the miracle mud feeding the mangroves.

Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2012, 08:03 PM   #516
ClustaAZ
Registered Member

Great tank build.

ClustaAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2012, 08:56 PM   #517
nanonubey
Shogun

It's been a long time since i checked out your thread, it looks awesome!

250 DD, Nanoseascreations custom sump and reactor with Seaslug bio pellets , (2) 400w MH Lumen max2 (20k Radium) and (2) 80w ATI aqua blue plus t-5's ,(2) Tunze 6105's w Tunze 7095, (2) Vortech mp40w es,ReefKeeper Elite, JBJ ATO, Reef octopus extreme 200, and Arctica 1/5 chiller.

RR 20l frag tank, Nova Extreme light with ATI bulbs, (12) bulb d.i.y. reefledlights.com , (1)Vortech MP10es.

" My girlfriend hates when I use the F word in any of it's various forms, fish, fish tank, fish store...."

" Ninja fish trips weekly"
nanonubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2012, 10:09 PM   #518
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
After a year of weekly plucking, it appears that the pink cotton candy hair algae has finally died off. I'm not sure if it's the slow flow or plasma lights that caused it to grow in the mangrove system, maybe both.
Lucky for you, I had that garbage in my display tank, and it sure did love acroporas, just clinging between the branches, eventually killing all but the tips... lost a great many corals to that scourge. Then one day there was no more... of course I didn't have many branching corals it could cling to either.

Unread 10/28/2012, 08:35 AM   #519
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
This is somewhat off topic but relates to the "mud".

Many many moons ago I had freshwater and always had trouble growing Amazon Swords. About 15 years ago I built a tank for my daughter in which I use clay cat litter with some plant soil. The plants grew like weeds. In fact I frequently cut them back. The tank also had trouble with nitrates, which is why I asked about the miracle mud feeding the mangroves.

Joe
Potting soil adds nitrogen, something we have no shortage of in marine tanks

A better medium for plants is latterite which is an iron rich clay. Sponges and some corals utilize iron, but that doesn't mean you should throw a handful of nails in your sump

Unread 10/28/2012, 08:48 AM   #520
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Potting soil adds nitrogen, something we have no shortage of in marine tanks

A better medium for plants is latterite which is an iron rich clay. Sponges and some corals utilize iron, but that doesn't mean you should throw a handful of nails in your sump
You could always run with this idea and us a nail gun to place your corals on a rock. This way they have iron right ready to go.

I probably shouldn't joke about it but it just stuck me as funny (but someone may start to wonder)

Joe

Unread 10/28/2012, 09:10 AM   #521
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
Peter,
Has anybody ever testing the water going into the mangroves and coming out? If memory serves me right you have slow flow and the length of those trays came to about 24' and I would be interested to see if there is any noticeable change in the water.
Joe
Wouldn't the growth be the test? If there is less growth at the exit of the mangrove system then you could make the case that the nutrients (or some other needed material) were not making it all the way to the end.

Just a thought.

Peter,
I haven't checked in for a few months and the growth is outstanding, a continued inspiration to all in the hobby! At some point you will be doing a lot of pruning (unless I have missed the discussion as time does not allow me to follow the thread full time.) What will you do with all the frags you will eventually be producing?

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2012, 09:42 AM   #522
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley000 View Post
Wouldn't the growth be the test? If there is less growth at the exit of the mangrove system then you could make the case that the nutrients (or some other needed material) were not making it all the way to the end.

Just a thought.

Peter,
I haven't checked in for a few months and the growth is outstanding, a continued inspiration to all in the hobby! At some point you will be doing a lot of pruning (unless I have missed the discussion as time does not allow me to follow the thread full time.) What will you do with all the frags you will eventually be producing?
Here is why I question.

If we look at just growing some form of algae in a sump we can easily say its growth is from the nutrients it pulls from the water. There are no other sources for it to get anything from.

In the case of mangroves in mud the mangroves could be pulling the nutrients from the mud. In this case the question becomes of how much value are they? I truelly don't know the answer to it. There is a whole other part of this and that becomes do the mangroves add something of value to the water? I don't know the answer to this either.

The biggest problem is I am an engineer and we are always looking for proof. In a case like this the data is hard to find

The one thing they do add is apart from the water is they look nice.

Joe

Unread 10/29/2012, 05:18 AM   #523
Padrino
Registered Member

From one eng to another. Conduct an experiment and put lots of mangroves in a regular sand bed and compare results

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2012, 10:15 AM   #524
Briney Dave
Registered Member

I am just starting a large run of trees with no medium just the reef water tricking by. I will share those results as they unfold
(the trees are suspended in the water via plant tape to a pvc pipe)

Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2012, 10:52 PM   #525
arctictwist
Registered Member

i only come on once in a while now, mostly because my tank was shut down and sold. but i have to keep coming back once in a while to check on this. everything is beautiful, i love what you guys created!

arctictwist is offline   Reply With Quote