Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2018, 07:47 PM   #1
02tts
Registered Member

Is this ich or something else?

Fish are eating well and they are no twitching or flashing or hitting against a rock, etc. So I’m not sure if it’s ich or something else.

If you look at his tail it looks like something else but I’m not sure?

Last edited by 02tts; 09/21/2018 at 08:10 PM.
02tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 08:16 PM   #2
OhsCC
Registered Member

Looks like velvet. Treat immediately.

OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 08:18 PM   #3
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhsCC View Post
Looks like velvet. Treat immediately.

I don’t think it’s velvet, they’d all be dead by now. Velvet would pretty much kill everything in 24-48 hours.

Unread 09/21/2018, 08:21 PM   #4
OhsCC
Registered Member

Agree. Velvet kills fast. Ich is more salt like. Those spots look larger and fuzzier.

OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 09:27 PM   #5
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

Looks like velvet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 03:56 AM   #6
Louis Z
Registered Member

Use a formalin product as a dip . And treat in TTM whatever it is you need to get him out of the tank quickly. Velvet does act fast. It can attack the body and if it settles in the gills it usually will kill the fish quickly . I lean toward velvet too . Any new additions to the tank or was the fish itself a new acquisition? . Do you have any copper med on hand?

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 06:15 AM   #7
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
Use a formalin product as a dip . And treat in TTM whatever it is you need to get him out of the tank quickly. Velvet does act fast. It can attack the body and if it settles in the gills it usually will kill the fish quickly . I lean toward velvet too . Any new additions to the tank or was the fish itself a new acquisition? . Do you have any copper med on hand?

No new additions. Last addition was 3 weeks ago and it was a hermit crab, which whatever this is probably came along in the shell of the crab as the tank was fine before then. Given the timeline I don’t think it’s velvet, I think it’s either ich or some bacteria infection but I decided to start treating with cupramine late last night as the fish were getting worse.

Unfortunately it’s impossible for me to take the fish out of the DT and put them into my QT as the tank is just too big and have way too many rocks, i would never catch them.

So I’m sure the crabs won’t make it and I’m sure this is going to take a lot of cupramine since the rocks and sand will probably absorb a large amount of it.

Unread 09/22/2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Louis Z
Registered Member

Yikes .drain the tank and scoop them out with a bucket . I would say a koi net. use a Rubbermaid storage tote from HD or Lows . I would still dip them . If you dont want to use formalin you can dip them using Seachem’s Paraguard. It has instructions on how to use a concentrated 1hr bath .

Unread 09/22/2018, 08:05 AM   #9
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
Yikes .drain the tank and scoop them out with a bucket . I would say a koi net. use a Rubbermaid storage tote from HD or Lows . I would still dip them . If you dont want to use formalin you can dip them using Seachem’s Paraguard. It has instructions on how to use a concentrated 1hr bath .

Yeah, I’m not draining 500G or removing 400lbs of rock.

It is what it is. The cupramine should take care of it. It’s a fowlr system anyway and will never be anything else.

Unread 09/22/2018, 10:50 AM   #10
02tts
Registered Member

I don’t think it’s ich, doesn’t look like it. You all may be right that it’s velvet but man, it’s been almost a month since the hermit intro...strange. But anything is possible.

Treating with Cupramine daily until I get to .4-.5 - don’t want to do it too abruptly so hopefully they’ll make it through.

Unread 09/22/2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Louis Z
Registered Member

Just speculating . So let’s say one amyloodinium dinospore came in with crabs . It attached and grew to trophont and dropped tomonts to start the cycle . They hatched an then attached to fish and became apparent http://agrilife.org/fisheries/files/...arine-Fish.pdf

Unread 10/03/2018, 05:20 PM   #12
02tts
Registered Member

For anyone interested; .35 -.40 does great at killing ich, does not completely eradicate velvet.

I was hoping not to have to do .5+ but looks like I don’t have a choice.

I’ve seen people having to treat to .7 which I think is too high and probably fatal for some fish.

Seachem instructions of .5 aside, anyone have any personal experiences with varying doses and what it took to eradicate it?