Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/25/2019, 10:09 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

Tank stand help - which option?

I purchased a tank stand and am.. concerned about its capability. Previous owner claimed he kept a fully stocked FW tank on it. Complicating matters more the sump doesn’t even fit - I should have brought a measuring tape with me. I’m considering cutting the middle support and then dropping in the sump and putting a new piece of wood in. Do you guys have any input? Here are some pics of the stand
I’m concerned about it holding the tank since it looks like it has minimal support.

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg

I started building my own stand but was concerned about it being sturdy - here’s the link to the stand I was making
https://youtu.be/8LQhrHyX-kM

Do you guys have any input? I don’t know which one to go with - and this is a pretty important decision. I see petco sells a stand but it looks like it has 4 individual legs so I’m avoiding that so I don’t damage my flooring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2019, 10:18 PM   #2
Krchfam
Registered Member

Looks like same stand I have in my 90 gallon. Not sure I would cut out the center support though, I had to remove it to get my sump in but then reattached it. If I would do it again I would build my own to get more room underneath.

Krchfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2019, 10:29 PM   #3
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krchfam View Post
Looks like same stand I have in my 90 gallon. Not sure I would cut out the center support though, I had to remove it to get my sump in but then reattached it. If I would do it again I would build my own to get more room underneath.

Did you have any issues after reattaching it? I wasn’t clear - my plan is to reattach it once the sump is dropped in. I’m not entirely sure how I’ll do it yet

Unread 11/26/2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Krchfam
Registered Member

Lol . . . Not yet!

Krchfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 09:02 AM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

Looks like a standard All-Glass stand. Made with 1xs, it is definitely strong enough. Folks that build their own with 2x4s are overdoing it to compensate for their carpentry skills.

Yes, you can remove the brace to get the sump in. Just put it back after you're done.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 09:09 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post

I started building my own stand but was concerned about it being sturdy - here’s the link to the stand I was making
https://youtu.be/8LQhrHyX-kM

Do you guys have any input?
That stand in the video could hold a car parked on top of it..

Unread 11/26/2019, 09:12 AM   #7
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Looks like a standard All-Glass stand. Made with 1xs, it is definitely strong enough. Folks that build their own with 2x4s are overdoing it to compensate for their carpentry skills.

Yes, you can remove the brace to get the sump in. Just put it back after you're done.

Thank you! I didn’t know that the 2x4s were overcompensation - that’s why the new stand seemed so sketchy because it’s so thin.

Unread 11/26/2019, 09:30 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

You can easily remove the center support to place the sump. What I would do is remove the support in front, not on top, and then make a new one out of readily available 1x3 or 4 from HD. Attach it using pocket hole screws so that if the need arises, you can remove the new support in the future.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2019, 09:47 AM   #9
QuickxSilver
Registered Member

I had the same issue with my last stand, just pry the top middle board going across and put your sump in and place the board back on. It's resting on the support so it doesn't have to be nailed back in, just make sure it's level.

QuickxSilver is offline   Reply With Quote