Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2018, 10:54 PM   #1
BClute
Registered Member

Paired Clown

If 2 clowns are hosting an Anemone together it's safe to say they're paired, correct? It's obvious that one has become the female and the male does the sideways shimmy dance all the time. I also for the first time noticed tonight what I believe was cheek kissing, but I only thought that was exhibited in maroon clowns from what I've read. it just seems like the female doesn't care about male at all. The female occupies the whole anemone while the male basically just hangs out in a little piece on the front edge. When I see it I always think of an angry wife making the husband sleep at the foot of the bed or something haha

I've slowly been stocking up on items and researching care for a clown fry tank in the case they decide to spawn, but I don't know if it will ever happen.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 11:12 PM   #2
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

My mocha clowns. Have been together or paired up for a little over two ywars now but i have never seen then lay eggs. I’ve bern researching n reading up as well.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 11:52 PM   #3
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
My mocha clowns. Have been together or paired up for a little over two ywars now but i have never seen then lay eggs. I’ve bern researching n reading up as well.

I want it sooo bad haha. I just started feeding them multiple times a day and hiked the temp up a lil to see if this will promote spawning.

Even if I'm a girls failure at raising the fry which will prob be the case the first few times, I still want to know that my tank is good enough for them to spawn. I have a 2 inch flame angel and 6 line in the tank, and
I hope these fish aren't impeding them from getting down and dirty .

Unread 02/07/2018, 01:40 PM   #4
PeteStarks
Registered Member

Do you run a moonlight on your tank? I have read more than a few posts claiming that moonlights may also be a factor that promotes spawning behavior.

PeteStarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 09:01 PM   #5
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteStarks View Post
Do you run a moonlight on your tank? I have read more than a few posts claiming that moonlights may also be a factor that promotes spawning behavior.

I have a moonlight, but I only use it when I'm viewing the tank at night. I used to have it on 24/7 but thought it was contributing to an algae bloom so I turned it off. Maybe I'll try leaving it on again.

Unread 02/08/2018, 12:55 PM   #6
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

Maybe you need to bring in their food, a movie and romantic music to get them going.

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:09 AM   #7
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I asked this exact same question a while back.
was told not really a mated pair unless they lay eggs.
lo and behold, they did (on their own), and been doing it every year ever since. I don't feed them anything other than formula one pellets.

as to try to hatch them, one year, I attempted that. was not successful. It is like 10x harder than how it looks.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1896515

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 12:50 PM   #8
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I asked this exact same question a while back.
was told not really a mated pair unless they lay eggs.
lo and behold, they did (on their own), and been doing it every year ever since. I don't feed them anything other than formula one pellets.

as to try to hatch them, one year, I attempted that. was not successful. It is like 10x harder than how it looks.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1896515

O I'm sure it's much harder than it looks. It would probably take multiple, multiple try's to get it down, which id be okay with. If there's a will there's a way

Unread 02/11/2018, 10:02 AM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

What you have would be considered a bonded pair, after they spawn that would be called a mated pair.
Time/age is probably the biggest factor here, typically it's about 1-1.5 yrs if you got them as a young pair.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote