Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2013, 07:19 PM   #26
BrandinAbbott
Registered Member

Question Leaky HH seal vs. Magdrive Style Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton_Z View Post
Wazel,

Was the last repair with a new mechanical seal? I have worked on a variety of centrifugal pumps (like the reeflo design) and chronic seal leakage can be caused by a variety of causes. It sounds like the root cause of your leakage has never been identified.

Excessive endplay in the motor, high imbalance in the impeller from damage, eccentric operation due to poor fit pump to motor, are all possible causes. I have had a few pumps leak due to poor seal seat fit in the housing.

The stationary part of the seal in the pump housing is the seal seat. The moving component of the seal rides on this seal seat and motor shafting and uses the spring pressure to maintain good contact. I agree movement here as you describe will definitely cause trouble and sounds like mis-assembly could have been the source. It's too bad Reeflo did not help you out to get this solved.

The Iwaki is a magdrive style setup, so no worries about the use of mech seals here.
I also currently have this problem with my Hammerhead pump w/ Baldor motor. I have not tried to re-seat the seal yet but I am trying to figure out what the "magdrive style setup" is that you are referring to. I have little experience with external pumps. However, its not very complicated and I would like to know the difference with this style vs. the seal on the Hammerhead pumps.

~Brandin~

Last edited by BrandinAbbott; 05/04/2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: adding signature
BrandinAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2013, 10:20 AM   #27
Triton_Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandinAbbott View Post
However, its not very complicated and I would like to know the difference with this style vs. the seal on the Hammerhead pumps.

~Brandin~
Brandin,

The difference between a mechanical sealed pump and a magnetic drive pump is the connection between the motor and pump impeller. A magnetic drive (MagDrive) uses a permanent magnet coupling to connect the motor drive shaft to pump impeller. This setup allows the pump to run without any seals (other than a stationary housing oring) versus the direct shaft connection of a mechanical sealed type pump (Reeflo Hammerhead / Dart / etc).

Do a google image search for Iwaki Magnetic Drive and you can see the configuration of the impeller and magnet drive coupling.

The only disadvantages I see are the added cost and the whether the liquid pumped is clean enough (as the liquid and dirt flows in the area of the magnet coupling).

Magnetic Drive pumps are the way to go for less maintenance for our uses.

I am still having excellent results from my Reeflo Snapper/Dart, but it's located in an accessible location if repairs are needed. If the pump was under a stand and hard to remove, I would have opted for the more reliable solution of a Magnetic Drive style pump.

Good luck with your repairs.

Unread 08/07/2013, 10:12 AM   #28
wazel
Premium Member

Hello again all,
I just wanted to give a brief update on this story. While my new Iwaki does not leak it does add a huge amount of heat to my tank. My chiller was running constantly. In a fit of depression I decided to try one more time to fix my HHG. I went on Grainger's website and found a "Dayton 3ACF4" shaft seal ($22.00). I used plumbers silicon grease to install it (i used silicon sealant before). And perhaps one other thing that made a difference is I noticed on Reeflo's online seal replacement instructions that you should put clean water on the seal before seating the to sides back together. I had not done this in the past. So long story short.. my HHG has been dry for a little over 2 months. If the fix is the seal or the grease or the clean water I do not know but that formula is working for me at the moment. Time will tell....

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef, AquaMaxx EM300,65gal sump,Delta Star Chiller

Last edited by wazel; 08/07/2013 at 10:33 AM.
wazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2013, 11:13 PM   #29
mrkookm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazel View Post
Hello again all,
I just wanted to give a brief update on this story. While my new Iwaki does not leak it does add a huge amount of heat to my tank. My chiller was running constantly. In a fit of depression I decided to try one more time to fix my HHG. I went on Grainger's website and found a "Dayton 3ACF4" shaft seal ($22.00). I used plumbers silicon grease to install it (i used silicon sealant before). And perhaps one other thing that made a difference is I noticed on Reeflo's online seal replacement instructions that you should put clean water on the seal before seating the to sides back together. I had not done this in the past. So long story short.. my HHG has been dry for a little over 2 months. If the fix is the seal or the grease or the clean water I do not know but that formula is working for me at the moment. Time will tell....

I had a leaky seal issue with my new Goby (FW use & needed lowest flow, but with some head) Gold pump all due to a wobbly impeller which I found out later. I reached out to Chris who as everyone already know provides awesome support, and he did for me the same. He put some seals in the mail as well as a new impeller at no cost.

So during my wait and I got anxious to get my pump up and running so I can complete my assessment of it to verify how well it will handle my low flow requirements. I got such a high flow pump only because I rather not use Pan World / Blueline anymore due to the heat it dumps into the tank and me having to run a chiller often.

Long story short I ended up buying a used Reeflo HH on Craigslist real cheap for it's impeller & wet ends and from Grainger 3 Daytons (1 3ACF5 & 2 3ACF4) & 3 Pac-seals (1 1R317 & 2 1R318). The seals were purchased a day apart.

Initially I went with the Daytons because quite frankly they were more expensive and I associated that with quality, plus it had 'better material' options and it came in a nice box. But wrong, the quality might be there, but they all failed. This always happened when I adjusted the output flow via a valve to around to ~700 - 800gph on a 1" pipe If I leave it on wide open after a few hours there are no issues. Crank down on the valve and it's a wrap--leak in under an hour.

Frustration and no stock of Daytons had me going with the 1R317 seal, but a fail on my part and I ended up cracking the CoolCarb face, so last resort I bought the seal I really never intended on buying from the get go--the 1R318. The specs has it not having a spring retainer, but I bought 2 of them anyway as at this point I was already in deep simplicity of the seal design and it failing got the better of me... I had to figure this out.

In the end the seal that I had no intention of buying because it was too cheap and specs listed it as missing a part is the one that is working extremely well! I even cranked it down way low ~600gph and that sucker has being holding up! So for those of yous looking for a viable option get the 1R318 aka Pac Seal 68-062-04. Wazel says his Dayton works, but it is likely he is using a higher discharge flow than I am, but if a product can do well when it under more stain then less is obviously a non-issue.

I have ordered 2 more online this time around at $8.16ea + $5 ship. At this point I don't even want to try the 1R317 even though it looks identical. I said the same for the Dayton's since they all share the same principle operation wise, but something is different about it and it couldn't handle the increased case pressure of whatever is at work when I crank down on the valve.

BTW I did receive the seal from Reeflo, but that's just another spare at this point.

mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2013, 07:52 AM   #30
wazel
Premium Member

Well my Dayton lasted about a month and is now leaking again. I put my Iwaki back online while I screw around with my HHG some more. I am going to try the seal you are having luck with. Also I just sent my spare HHG back to Reeflo for a vibration and leak issue. They did turn it around very quickly, however it still vibrates and leaks. It appears they replaced the motor and seal with no results. One other BIG issue I noticed is that Reeflo is NOT using Carbide Silicon seals in these pumps as they advertise. The seal they put in my pump was a standard ceramic seal. I found a Silicon Carbide seal on the Grainger website ($62.00) that is my next try to fix the issue. Does anyone know of company that makes a pump like a Reeflo, I would love to toss them to the curb.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef, AquaMaxx EM300,65gal sump,Delta Star Chiller
Unread 09/28/2013, 03:06 PM   #31
wazel
Premium Member

Well its been a week with the 1R318. So far so good......time will tell

Unread 09/28/2013, 06:17 PM   #32
5pacey
Registered Member

Well... I was sorta thinking about the Barracuda/Hammerhead hybrid as one of my options but this thread puts the last nail in that coffin for sure. I've been peeve'd @ ReeFlo anyway for ditching BlowHoles recently after a year on the market because I bought one and was going to build my system around them Good specs on paper, did hydrostatic testing during which it ran great, quiet, good flow etc... Looks like I am looking @ PW 200PS, sounds like less average complaints/less than perfect comments than about Iwaki. I am stuck w/BH 1100 now though which I'll either have to sell @ 50% discount or find some unplanned use for it.

Space

5pacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2013, 10:20 AM   #33
wazel
Premium Member

Almost weeks and so far so good.

Well I have not put any serious back pressure on my HHG and the seal has not failed so far. Perhaps that was part of the equation. I would always close the valve on the output side of the pump before shutting off the pump when I do my water changes. I will now shut the valve after i turn off the pump and see if it stays dry. I attached a pic of the HHG installation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19700110_124748.jpg (33.5 KB, 62 views)

Unread 10/10/2013, 11:46 AM   #34
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Quote:
Well I have not put any serious back pressure on my HHG and the seal has not failed so far. Perhaps that was part of the equation. I would always close the valve on the output side of the pump before shutting off the pump when I do my water changes. I will now shut the valve after i turn off the pump and see if it stays dry. I attached a pic of the HHG installation.
Always, always, 1) power off; 2) close valve.

But, you will replace the Reeflo seal at least every 18 months if not more.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2013, 12:01 PM   #35
wazel
Premium Member

I would be VERY happy to get 12 months !! I have a second HHG as a backup. I can swap pumps in less than 5 minutes, so rotating them once a year would be a wonderful development compared to all the grief up to this point.

Unread 10/11/2013, 12:20 PM   #36
sean2sean
Registered Member

I hope I won't have this issue when installing my hammerhead/barracuda hybrid pump....

sean2sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2013, 12:08 PM   #37
Loganutah
Registered Member

I have had the same problems! Leaky HH pumps, had seal replaced once, then they sent new pump second time, I received the pump 2 days ago and it has started to leak from shaft seal....... immediately cleaned and reassembled pump, added some silicone grease where the ceramic bearing slides into the impeller. does it madder what side of the ceramic ring faces out? one side has a groove in it.?

What seal are you getting to work the grainger one?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PAC...-without-1R318 ?

Loganutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2013, 08:12 AM   #38
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

The orientation of the ring does matter. There is a video I believe on the reeflo website for how to replace the seal. I don't think you are supposed to use any grease, just water, so that may have made things worse Loganutah.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2013, 06:53 PM   #39
Loganutah
Registered Member

Still leaking..... I am experimenting with some RTV sealant between the impeller ceramic and the graphite seal....(fully cured prior to water contact). I will let you know if that works. i have 2 of these pumps laying around and want to find a solution.... I put just a small amount on cleaned surfaces and tightened it down, let cure 3 days... i will let you know if it leaks........ so far so good.
i suspect the issue is where the graphite seal contacts the ceramic?

Loganutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2013, 07:39 PM   #40
tkeracer619
Registered Member

So have you ever changed the bearings like I said 3 years ago?

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2013, 08:49 AM   #41
wazel
Premium Member

I am not sure who you are asking about changing the bearings.... but changing the bearings would require sending the pump back to Reeflo. They replaced the whole motor on my backup HHG and it started leaking after 5 days. And I must say whoever installed the shaft seal on that repair did a horrible job ! The seal seat was not even seated completely in the bracket. I have spent half of what it cost for the pump in shipping charges sending both of mine back and forth to Reeflo. The latest seal I installed (Pac Seal 1R318) failed after 22 days. I'm putting the Iwaki back online for the winter. The extra heat it adds keeps my heater off during the winter months. In the spring I will try the REAL silicon carbide seal from Grainger (Dayton 3ACF7) for one last experiment, after that I have no options left.

Last edited by wazel; 10/18/2013 at 08:57 AM.
Unread 10/18/2013, 10:56 AM   #42
droth335
Registered Member

I have a reeflo hammerhead as well - actually on the 2nd one as the first one leaked - even after replacing the seal. I doubt I will ever purchase another one of their pumps...but it doesn't seem there are a lot of better options out there for a high pressure pump. Crazy.

Current Tank Info: 210 sps dominant reef: 40g sump, kalk,4 reefbreeder photon 32's ; 300DD mixed reef with 180 gallon sump, 4 Reefbreeder Photon 32's.
droth335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 05:59 PM   #43
Bob Nell
Registered Member

I had similar problem. Decided to use in sump Sicce high flow. Works great little heat similar flow. Much more reliable.

Bob Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 08:07 PM   #44
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I replace seals on my Hammerhead, Barracuda and Dart pumps when they start to leak...usually some rusty, salty crusties found down under the pump. I have had seals last for 2 years and some for 1 year...I do use clear silicone to seal around the metal part to the plastic, but I just use water on the ceramic part per the instructions. I am satisfied with the pumps as they move a lot of water for not a lot of electricity.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2014, 12:58 PM   #45
wazel
Premium Member

Seal Issue Finally Resolved

Hello again all,

US Seal PS-1905 is the fix.

It is a Silicon Carbide seal made for harsh environments.
If the part of the seal that fits in the impeller is WHITE you do NOT
have a Silicon Carbide Seal.

When the one I ordered showed up is was clearly of superior quality than the crap seals I have installed for the past 4 years. The part of the seal that fits into the impeller is a very dark gray. I got mine from Sunplay_dot_Com

If you need to get one just Google "US Seal PS-1905" its about $40.00

Unread 01/15/2014, 05:06 PM   #46
pja24
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello again all,

US Seal PS-1905 is the fix.

It is a Silicon Carbide seal made for harsh environments.
If the part of the seal that fits in the impeller is WHITE you do NOT
have a Silicon Carbide Seal.

When the one I ordered showed up is was clearly of superior quality than the crap seals I have installed for the past 4 years. The part of the seal that fits into the impeller is a very dark gray. I got mine from Sunplay_dot_Com

If you need to get one just Google "US Seal PS-1905" its about $40.00
You wouldn't happen to know which seal part number for dart/snapper hybrid? Would love to have backup when needed. Thanks

Unread 02/06/2014, 01:59 PM   #47
jrpark22000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pja24 View Post
You wouldn't happen to know which seal part number for dart/snapper hybrid? Would love to have backup when needed. Thanks
I did the research on that in another thread back in 2012.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=14

jrpark22000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2014, 07:54 PM   #48
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

I cannot fault Reeflo for their CS, but you should not have to replace seals every 12-14 months on these HH Hybrid pumps. I bought a new one when I set up my 465 gallon, and the seal was broken. Got a replacement seal from Reeflo while they shipped me a replacement pump,. I fixed it, then bought the one I just fixed as a refurb and saved the replacement pump as a backup. So the seal I replaced started leaking again after 14 months. I had the output ballvalved down and had used the lower flow Barracuda impeller as well, and frankly I am sick of the maintenance these pumps require. Return pumps should not require this level of maintenance.

I owned and used PanWorld pumps for years before buying the HH Hybrid and never had one fail. I bought the pump in the first place when I upgraded to a 465 gallon tank, and Reeflo seemed to be the pump of choice.

My 155 gallon custom sump was drilled for the HH hybrid, of course, so I was reluctant to switch to a different pump, but when I tried to replace the newly leaking seal that had been broken when new, I was totally unable to remove the stupid Barracuda impeller to get to the broken seal! Even my LFS with two guys working on it couldn't get it off, so I can only guess the impeller net is bound to the shaft now.

Anyways, I finally bit the bullet and bought an Iwaki 1/4 horse 70 RLT, and I am so glad I did. I had to modify my plumbing to fit it, and now I have the still working backup HH hybrid as a backup and the Iwaki primary. Great match to my system. I can now run the Iwaki full open, and the flow is a little more than I had on the HH Hybrid ballvalved back, and also run my peripherals. Looking forward to not having to replace seals on this Iwaki. My plumbing is now able to fit either the Iwaki or the HH Hybrid, although I doubt I'll have to use the Reeflo.

If I had realized what a pain ownership and use of the HH was, I would have just bought an Iwaki in the first place

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 06:53 PM   #49
Robby2782
Registered Member

This thread just saved me a lot of headache. I was going to purchase a reeflo super dart hybrid, but I think I'm going to go with Iwaki instead.

Robby2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 08:16 PM   #50
echoreef
Registered Member

I am having a nightmare with my new Reeflo Super Dart/Snapper gold on my new setup. Multiple leaks since putting the pump into place. I was send new parts and those leaked as well for different reasons. On top of that there is this loud clattering noise from the motor. How can this happen on a new pump. It's been nothing but trouble from the beginning. I wish there were alternatives.

echoreef is offline   Reply With Quote