Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/29/2011, 11:44 AM   #1
110galreef
Registered Member

Reef Chili, Coral Frenzy, Reef roids.

Tank params are ideal almost too clean. Looking to add something to see if I get better polyp extrension, better colors, and better growth. Plan to only add a few times a week at most in a modest amount. Tank is mixed reef SPS dominant.

I am also starting to feed my tank/fish Rods food which has much for my corals as well.

These 3 seem similiar and pretty good coral foods.

Any user experience between them that can weigh in? Any tips?

I am looking to feed my corals something extra, (yes I know light & WC is all), still going to add more.

Either of these going to be more encomapsing?
Either less prone to raise phospahte or lead to bad water quality more than another?

Thanks for the input.

Unread 08/29/2011, 11:54 AM   #2
kv2wr1
Registered Member

I have used reef chili and a little goes a long way. My filter feeders love this stuff. I have also used Rod's as well. I think Rod's is more of a whole reef food as in that you can feed the fish, corals and inverts with it whereas reef chili is more for corals and filter feeders. Fish will eat reef chili, but would need something more than just that. Rod's is pre-washed supposedly so it is suppose to be extremely low in phosphates as far as food is concerned. Again I would use both sparingly. On the reef chili container, it states as to how much to use.

kv2wr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 11:55 AM   #3
LeLutinBanni
Registered Member

I am using coral frenzy and the corals react very well

LeLutinBanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 12:00 PM   #4
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv2wr1 View Post
I have used reef chili and a little goes a long way. My filter feeders love this stuff. I have also used Rod's as well. I think Rod's is more of a whole reef food as in that you can feed the fish, corals and inverts with it whereas reef chili is more for corals and filter feeders. Fish will eat reef chili, but would need something more than just that. Rod's is pre-washed supposedly so it is suppose to be extremely low in phosphates as far as food is concerned. Again I would use both sparingly. On the reef chili container, it states as to how much to use.
Yeah exactly.

I plan to use the Rods primarily for the fish. But it does have the extra's for the reef. I will also feed an occasional flake or pelets when I don't have time to thaw the frozen Rods.

I plan to supplement the corals feeding with something extra like reef chilli, coral frenzy or reef roids to aid in growth and colors. Just some extra that they are not getting from the fish food & POO!

Unread 08/29/2011, 12:18 PM   #5
110galreef
Registered Member

Reef Roids looks a little more limited on it's ingredients and maybe more targeted for filter feeders? Hard to tell as they don't list any ingredients?

But they claim no fish meal and thus won't pollute/degrade the tank.

Unread 08/29/2011, 12:51 PM   #6
aleonn
Registered Member

I purchased Reef Chili a while ago, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. Do you guys broadcast feed, or target feed?

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 12:56 PM   #7
110galreef
Registered Member

I plan to broadcast. Way to big of a tank & too many corals to target. I will turn off return pump for like 15-20 mins and let the CLS spread it around.

I also use a mesh filter sock which will catch quite a bit when the return pump is kicked back on and will rinse that a day after this broadcast feeding. Again I plan to do this feeding 2x's a week to start.

Unread 08/29/2011, 02:58 PM   #8
dublo8
Registered Member

I use both reef chili and reef roids and do both, target and broadcast. Reef chili is a good all around coral food but reef roids IMO is the cats meow. If you look at the nutritional levels it eclipses almost every other food out there. It's very small grain though. That's why I mix it with other foods. I do highly suggest it as well as reef chili. Both are great foods and both will last an extremely long time, a little goes a long long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 08/29/2011, 03:46 PM   #9
reefsurfing
Registered Member

I have been using Reef Chili for two weeks and I have seen a considerable improvement in growth and polyp extension. I see much more all around growth both encrusting and upward movement. The polyp extension is unreal at this point and I have seen the polyps holding onto large chunks of the reef chili.

I turn my pumps off every third night and broadcast feed the tank until the morning, does the trick for me.

reefsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2011, 06:45 AM   #10
110galreef
Registered Member

Anyone have any skiimer issues....like going nuts or losing the head?

Unread 08/30/2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Palting
Registered Member

I use Coral Frenzy, dissolve that with some phyto and zooplankton from a bottle, turn everything off and target feed several LPS. After 15 mins, I turn on just the powerheads for another 30 mins to feed the other filter feeders. I only do it once a week. I have a lot of SPS, and don't want the nutrient level to go too high for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
Anyone have any skiimer issues....like going nuts or losing the head?
Skimmer output kicks up a notch overnight, does not "go nuts". Then again, I have several layers of mechanical filtration before the skimmer that takes out most of the junk.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2011, 09:26 AM   #12
110galreef
Registered Member

Has anyone noticed and increase in PO4 from these feedings in general. I realize right after it will probably go up but compared to what your tank normally was at, has the normal gone up since or have you had to increase WC's, heavier skimming, etc..

Unread 08/30/2011, 09:43 AM   #13
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

i target feed my corals and alternate between reef roids 3x per week, and coral frenzy 3x per week. Sometime i'll mix Selcon in the food, and sometimes i'll dose amino acids too.
I rely on good flow and great skimming (Tunze).
The flow keeps left over food up and then it can be removed by the skimmer. The skimmer pulls any and all left over, immediately out of the tank
these products have never given me increase inphosphates or nitrates .

Unread 08/30/2011, 09:43 AM   #14
jporter
Registered Member

I use reef roids, reef chili, oyster feast, and rod food for the fish. I like to mix it up a little like I do for my dogs. It has to get boring eating the same food day after day.

jporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2011, 09:54 AM   #15
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridescentLily View Post
i target feed my corals and alternate between reef roids 3x per week, and coral frenzy 3x per week. Sometime i'll mix Selcon in the food, and sometimes i'll dose amino acids too.
I rely on good flow and great skimming (Tunze).
The flow keeps left over food up and then it can be removed by the skimmer. The skimmer pulls any and all left over, immediately out of the tank
these products have never given me increase inphosphates or nitrates .
Wow so you are feeding your tank this stuff 6x's aweek! do you turn off your return pump when feeding? I remeber seeing you had a softie/lpd tank correct. I bet these guys love this stuff. Do you see any difference in feeding response or polyp extension between the two foods?

I have tried the amino acids now for about 6 weeks. Had no difference in anything other than a thinning wallet. So AA are done for me!

Unread 08/30/2011, 09:55 AM   #16
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter View Post
I use reef roids, reef chili, oyster feast, and rod food for the fish. I like to mix it up a little like I do for my dogs. It has to get boring eating the same food day after day.
Yeah i plan to mix it up! just don't want too many reef foods on my shelfs! haha

You notice a difference in response from corals between the reef roids and reef chilli?

Unread 08/30/2011, 09:58 AM   #17
jporter
Registered Member

Not really, and both powders stink about the same. I have a whole section in the fridge, and freezer for foods. Kind of ridiculous.

jporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2013, 01:49 PM   #18
James32
Registered Member

I feed reef roids a pinch every day or every other day I just put it in front of the power head and let it spread through the tank with the flo I do not shut anything off. I also feed Coral frenzy every other day in the same way I just use a bigger pinch.Also once A week I will turn off my skimmer and target feed all my coral like suns,dendros, clams,chili spong ,featherstar,coco worms etc with a mixtre of pe mysis frozen brine and frozen reef plankton as well as zoplan and phytoplan,coral frenzy cyclopezze frozen rotifers all mixed together with a liter or so of my tank water you can see my scedual and photos at www.aquaticlog.com and my username is james32
cheers

James32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2013, 02:17 PM   #19
saf1
Registered Member

I use Coral Heaven from ipsf.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Buzz1329
Premium Member

Does any of this stuff work for SPS?

180 mixed reef
Buzz1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 09:08 PM   #21
TankCla
SPSychology

I just got a sample of reef-roids from my LFS. Don't know how to dose them.
What is the dosage per gallon of reef-roids?

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef, 29 gallon sump, 6x54W(Giesemann) T5HO, Tunze 9410, 2xJebao RW15, Tunze Silence, DIY ato, RKE Titanium
TankCla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2013, 05:45 AM   #22
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

Advanced Aquarist did a test, sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts.

Reef Chili IIRC, did best.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2013, 05:54 AM   #23
Touring
Registered Member.

I'm not saying you are but you should have max polyp extension without dosing any food. I don't feed mine sps at all and the same amount of extension is their day and night. There's no difference. Waste of money...

Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2014, 01:14 PM   #24
crn005
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
Advanced Aquarist did a test, sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts.

Reef Chili IIRC, did best.
Not only did Advanced Aquarist do a test, so did the University of Hawaii. They found that Reef Chili did the best for three common SPS species.

http://www.academia.edu/1647139/Cora...tificial_foods

crn005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2014, 01:41 PM   #25
atrox
Registered Member

I use coral frenzy. Immediate results esp with pineapple sponges, they are everywhere. I've also seen some strange behavior from my maxima I can't tell if it's trying to suck in or blow out the coral frenzy.

atrox is offline   Reply With Quote