Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Connecticut Area Regional Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2012, 07:24 AM   #26
gmate
MASC Member

Make sure you cycle that QT tank first or you could be in for more problems. Best of luck Mike.

gmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 08:38 AM   #27
Pallobi
CTARS, BRS & OSRAS Member

IMO... QT tanks do not need to be cycled... Daily up keep and small water changes, cleaning of a filter sponge, siphoning detritus, etc, will do the trick... But you can not lack with this...

Unread 06/05/2012, 09:19 AM   #28
SteelerMike
Registered Member

I did a water change on the main tank yesterday and used water from there to fill the QT. I realize it may have the ich in it, but I'm going to treat the water anyway. I figured this would avoid having to cycle the tank and then I would do small water changes and maintenance as Pallobi said

SteelerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 09:37 AM   #29
norrin_radd
Registered Member

this is a good read

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2159738

there are actually a lot of good ones here
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Current Tank Info: 29g JBJ
norrin_radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 08:52 PM   #30
charleneatkins
Registered Member

the products norad is referring to s made by microlift. It is really a 2 part. artemiss and herbtana. I have used both especially for my seahorse tank. I have had good results. It may take longer than the 10 days they ask for. I have stayed with products because it does not seem to "crash" my biological system. Keep the fish well fed. Add a garlic additive. Ick does not like garlic
Best of luck, you are not alone, we have all been there
Charlene

Current Tank Info: 28,55 & 90g mixed reef,10G FW
charleneatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 11:34 PM   #31
mtcoins123
Far From Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxb0rder View Post
If there is a petsmart by you try there for ich treatment they have had huge sales in there saltwater section the past week or so trying to clear it out for new stuff i remember seeing something for ich treatment like 80% off.
i hear they are quitting the "saltwater" department at least in my area that is what they have said i got a buttload of additives at 2$ a liter normaly 15$ i bought them all lol got a little bigger tank i will use them

Current Tank Info: The power company has put the replacement meter bearings on hold until someone else hooks it up :D
mtcoins123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 10:50 AM   #32
SueAndHerZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleneatkins View Post
the products norad is referring to s made by microlift. It is really a 2 part. artemiss and herbtana. I have used both especially for my seahorse tank. I have had good results. It may take longer than the 10 days they ask for. I have stayed with products because it does not seem to "crash" my biological system. Keep the fish well fed. Add a garlic additive. Ick does not like garlic
Best of luck, you are not alone, we have all been there
Charlene
I have both of these products, too, and used it once in QT to treat ich but the fish died. Not saying it was a result of the products, they might have died anyway. Is this something you use pro-actively, Charlene? For example I have four new fish in QT.... should I add this stuff as a health booster and preventive or only "as needed"?
Sue

Unread 06/06/2012, 10:57 AM   #33
SteelerMike
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrin_radd View Post
Very helpful stuff. Thanks

Unread 06/07/2012, 08:09 AM   #34
SteelerMike
Registered Member

A little update. The tang is still doing OK in the MT and the blenny is still yet to show any signs of ich. I have the HT all set up to go, but it looks like the tang may be fighting it off. There are less spots on him than before and he is eating like crazy. I know the cycle of the parasite is to fall off and multiply, but I was reading that sometimes the fish develop an immunity if they fight it off. Still not sure whether to try to catch and treat them or ride it out. I'm just concerned that the stress of catching them may lead to them dying.

Unread 06/07/2012, 12:07 PM   #35
norrin_radd
Registered Member

the spots come and go they are part of the cycle, it the immune system gets back to normal when the cylce comes around again the "SPOTS" won't appear. Keep an eye on it and read a bit more about the Cycle of ich, it is pretty interesting (There reason for going fallow is to break the cycle)

Unread 06/07/2012, 12:11 PM   #36
norrin_radd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo View Post
I have both of these products, too, and used it once in QT to treat ich but the fish died. Not saying it was a result of the products, they might have died anyway. Is this something you use pro-actively, Charlene? For example I have four new fish in QT.... should I add this stuff as a health booster and preventive or only "as needed"?
Sue
Not sure if it can be a proactive add. I believe there IS something out that is good for using in QT as a proactive prevention method. ALthough I could be wrong about microbelift. I cant remember and will read it when I get home. I could be wrong about it and it might actually be used as a proactive.. but either way it prolly didnt kill your fish. when I had ich the Gramma died the clown did not. but the gramma was pretty bad looking and IMO is not a very hardy fish, cause I lost another one for NO reason recently