Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2007, 10:44 PM   #1
badazztealcobra
Registered Member

saltwater safe paint ??

I am going to be making an overflow for my soon to be tank out of acrylic, and was trying to figure out if I could just use the clear acrylic I have and paint it with krylon or if I need to go out and buy some black acrylic to make it out of......

Anyone ever paint anything that sits in their tank ????

badazztealcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Wrassemeister
Registered Member

I just painted my clear overflow with krylon fusion. I read that many have not suffered any ill effects from using this paint, but it is recommended to let it sit and cure for a while (2 weeks) before putting in the tank. Supposedly the paint bonds chemically to the plastic. Few people emailed krylon and asked if it was safe to use in aquaria, they replied saying that they do not recommend doing it and that it was not tested for underwater use, but it could be them just covering their butts from lawsuits etc... either way im giving it a try, but it you have a choice to use black acrylic that would probably be the best bet....

Thou Shalt Love Thy Wrasse

Current Tank Info: 34g rimless sps
Wrassemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 12:04 AM   #3
MrMexReefer
Moved On

hmmm i used the "painters touch" stuff that I used to paint the back of the tank to paint the 90* elbow for my overflow, and submerged it about 4 days later. The tank is running now, and nothings dead yet... lol

MrMexReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 08:57 AM   #4
BlakDuc
Fragger

I have been using the stuff I painted with Fusion for almost 6 months now with no ill effects. Make sure to sand it well with some 220 grit sandpaper. Make sure there are no glossy area otherwise, the paint wont stick to those sections. 1 Piece of PVC that is in there only cured for about a day or so. I havent had any issues.

Current Tank Info: IM Fusion 40
BlakDuc is offline   Reply With Quote