Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2015, 08:43 PM   #51
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Hose blew , you tried Eheim tubing? Works real good and last for decades.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 07:56 AM   #52
JB NY
Registered Member

So my reactor is still going. My chaeto growth has slowed dramatically, about 1/3 of what it used to be. I think the excess nutrients have been removed from the tank and now it is just pulling out what ever excessive amounts I get on a daily basis.

My levels from the other day are NO3 5ppm, PO4 0.02ppm. I still dose about .5ppm daily of KNO3 to keep levels where they are.

My tank was rebooted less than 10 months ago, so there is not much large corals in the tank but lots of SPS frags and smaller LPS that are all doing fine. Still no algae in the display tank. These are pictures from a week or two ago.

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 09:56 AM   #53
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Very interesting to say the least. This is definitely something I should consider for the 230 i am building. Lets keep the updates coming. Oh, JBNY, great looking tank.

Current Tank Info: Frag tank at the moment, planning another
mr9iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 07:19 PM   #54
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I love the rock scape JB NY Do you have to clean the glass often?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2015, 07:12 AM   #55
JB NY
Registered Member

Thanks, I tried to make the rock work as open as possible for the fish to swim.

I clean the glass every 4-5 days

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
Unread 09/25/2015, 09:49 AM   #56
trueperc
Registered Member

This seems to be a great little device. I really like the idea of using cheato. I have been looking for a good way to stop the carbon dosing but the idea of setting up a refug on my tank is almost out of the question due to the size of refug I would need for my 300 gallon. Thanks for sharing your results.

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2015, 10:03 AM   #57
JB NY
Registered Member

I stopped carbon dosing and using GFO in Dec 2014.

Unread 09/26/2015, 09:36 AM   #58
Tarawa
Registered Member

This is genius.I had never even considered running cheato thru a reactor like that. I have a transparent unused nextreef reactor that could be modified to do this, except lights on the outside, and wouldnt look anywhere near as cool.

Tarawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 11:38 AM   #59
Sinekal
Registered Member

Do you get any cyano inside the reactor or is the flow through sufficient to ensure it doesn't occur. My refugium does a great job of keeping nitrates and phosphates in check but I can't ever seem to create enough flow in it to keep the cyano in check.

Sinekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 04:17 PM   #60
rq786
Registered Member

I am trying to convert simple reactor for this method
What color leds would work for it

rq786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 11:34 PM   #61
vmvm60
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rq786 View Post
I am trying to convert simple reactor for this method
What color leds would work for it
I'm also interested in DIY-ing something similar. However, I think the most difficult part will be the LED cooling... I could not find anywhere(ebay, Chinese online) such a metal rod and heatsink...

vmvm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 11:38 PM   #62
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmvm60 View Post
I'm also interested in DIY-ing something similar. However, I think the most difficult part will be the LED cooling... I could not find anywhere(ebay, Chinese online) such a metal rod and heatsink...
it appears to be a copper pipe with a heat sink mounted on one end, should be fairly simple to diy.

Reefed out
OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 02:22 PM   #63
rq786
Registered Member

Can you use rc car engine head

rq786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 02:56 PM   #64
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinekal View Post
Do you get any cyano inside the reactor or is the flow through sufficient to ensure it doesn't occur. My refugium does a great job of keeping nitrates and phosphates in check but I can't ever seem to create enough flow in it to keep the cyano in check.
I do have cyano in my reactor. It is the only place I have cyano in my whole system so I am fine with it being there.

Unread 09/29/2015, 06:51 AM   #65
trueperc
Registered Member

I am wondering on the sizing they use. JB NY, you were saying you are not getting the same growth as before and I am wondering would you have been better to go with a smaller unit? My thoughts are similar to those ATS, the people running them and who built them found bigger was always not better and there was for sure size issue. There was a great reduction in size recommendations from when it first started. The reason I am asking, is I have already contacted the company and really like this idea, but I stumbled across some board and people where have issues with getting good growth. The model they suggested was the E or C 24, but my thoughts is accually the E or C 18 as from my understanding standing is only a 6 inch height difference. I would rather trim more often than have an issue with growth. What do you think? If you where to do it again would you stay the same size or go the smaller unit?

Unread 09/29/2015, 08:04 AM   #66
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB NY View Post
I do have cyano in my reactor. It is the only place I have cyano in my whole system so I am fine with it being there.
I wonder if this is indicative of nitrate deficiency? In a planted fw tank cyano is often a symptom of nitrate deficiency and the addition of kno3 will cause it to recede fairly rapidly. I'm aware that sw systems are different but would be interested to see whether dosing an inorganic source of nitrate in a controlled and calculated manner would boost the cheato growth and cause the disappearance of the cyano.

Reefed out
Unread 09/29/2015, 08:21 AM   #67
trueperc
Registered Member

I believe they actually provide you with some nitrate solution when you buy it.

Unread 09/29/2015, 08:38 AM   #68
JB NY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueperc View Post
I am wondering on the sizing they use. JB NY, you were saying you are not getting the same growth as before and I am wondering would you have been better to go with a smaller unit? My thoughts are similar to those ATS, the people running them and who built them found bigger was always not better and there was for sure size issue. There was a great reduction in size recommendations from when it first started. The reason I am asking, is I have already contacted the company and really like this idea, but I stumbled across some board and people where have issues with getting good growth. The model they suggested was the E or C 24, but my thoughts is accually the E or C 18 as from my understanding standing is only a 6 inch height difference. I would rather trim more often than have an issue with growth. What do you think? If you where to do it again would you stay the same size or go the smaller unit?
I'm not sure, I don't know how oversizing it would really give me anything other than more room in the reactor. One thing I have been doing that they do not recommend is running ozone. I have run ozone on my tanks I I didn't want to stop using it. Tristan at Pax thinks that is absolutely can adversely affect macro growth, so I shut it off 4 days ago to see if it helps when the Chaeto growth. FWIW other than not having strong growth anymore, I am not suffering from any issues, nutrient or algae in my system. It's been pretty rock steady for months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieNZ View Post
I wonder if this is indicative of nitrate deficiency? In a planted fw tank cyano is often a symptom of nitrate deficiency and the addition of kno3 will cause it to recede fairly rapidly. I'm aware that sw systems are different but would be interested to see whether dosing an inorganic source of nitrate in a controlled and calculated manner would boost the cheato growth and cause the disappearance of the cyano.
I do dose KN03 daily I have been for a good 6-7 months.

Unread 09/29/2015, 08:44 AM   #69
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not sure, I don't know how oversizing it would really give me anything other than more room in the reactor. One thing I have been doing that they do not recommend is running ozone. I have run ozone on my tanks I I didn't want to stop using it. Tristan at Pax thinks that is absolutely can adversely affect macro growth, so I shut it off 4 days ago to see if it helps when the Chaeto growth. FWIW other than not having strong growth anymore, I am not suffering from any issues, nutrient or algae in my system. It's been pretty rock steady for months now.

I do dose KN03 daily I have been for a good 6-7 months.
How much are you dosing? (Just interested)

Reefed out
Unread 09/29/2015, 08:55 AM   #70
JB NY
Registered Member

enough to raise the system .5ppm a day.

Unread 09/29/2015, 09:29 AM   #71
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
enough to raise the system .5ppm a day.
Is that depleted daily? Or do you maintain a consistent figure?

Reefed out
Unread 09/29/2015, 09:46 AM   #72
JB NY
Registered Member

I maintain it at 5ppm, I started with an almost zero reading and raised 1ppm a day until I had about 5-7ppm then dropped back to the dose I have now. It keeps my NO3 at 5ppm.

Unread 09/29/2015, 09:56 AM   #73
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
I maintain it at 5ppm, I started with an almost zero reading and raised 1ppm a day until I had about 5-7ppm then dropped back to the dose I have now. It keeps my NO3 at 5ppm.
Thanks for the info

Reefed out
Unread 09/30/2015, 12:04 PM   #74
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't know how oversizing it would really give me anything other than more room in the reactor
One thing it could do is cause flow to route around the growth. Or, if the lights are the same, then a larger size could allow the growth to get farther away from the light.

Unread 10/13/2015, 10:42 AM   #75
clorox
Registered Member

Ok, how do I buy one of these? Pax bellum's site is under construction. I sent them an email a week ago but no answer.

clorox is offline   Reply With Quote