Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2006, 10:56 AM   #351
jnarowe
Registered Member

I have skimmer envy.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2006, 11:08 AM   #352
nyvp
Registered Member

just to add to the skimmer envy

it hold 60+ gallons of water

Remeber this is 18"round acrylic. the base is 22x22 and its just under 6ft tall

nothing new on rest of tank its been up now for month and a half all good. I took out 3 of the 4 gobies wife didnt like them everyone else including the sailfin are great.

nyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2006, 11:20 AM   #353
clekchau
Premium Member

wow wow very nice

Unread 12/02/2006, 11:28 AM   #354
dgasmd
Registered Member

So you have the skimmer there now? Looks like Spazz's garage still. That is incredibly good if the skimmer is pulling that kind of air with that much head pressure. That means it will take a small to med air pump to max it out.

The only comment I have about the skimmer is that the cup seems unnecessarily gigantic. I seriously doubt you are going to use it to collect the skimmate. I would put a drain in it to a 5g bucket in the floor. God knows we all have too many of those buckets laying around waiting for a good use. That will so much easier to change and drain than trying to carry that full cup with several gallons of skimmate. That is what I did with mine anyway.

Current Tank Info: Currently out of the hobby, but considering a Comeback V 2.1!
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2006, 11:34 AM   #355
clekchau
Premium Member

dgasmd, that is what i am contemplating is having a 5 gallon waste collecter built. how did you build yours? any pictures?

Unread 12/02/2006, 11:38 AM   #356
dgasmd
Registered Member

Mine is as simple as simple gets. I took a 1/2" hose draining from the collection cup and the hose empties right into an open 5g bucket. I did not want to overly complicate that unnecessarily, but I have seen all kinds fo design for it with lids on and carbon chambers for the air exit. I want to see the level on the bucket, and since it is in my garage where it gets tons of air exchange, I don't care about smells. Mine never smells.

Current Tank Info: Currently out of the hobby, but considering a Comeback V 2.1!
Unread 12/02/2006, 11:42 AM   #357
clekchau
Premium Member

so you don't have anything to prevent stopping the skimmer if it goes crazy to prevent flooding the house ? that is what i am looking for.

Unread 12/02/2006, 11:44 AM   #358
dgasmd
Registered Member

What you are looking for is not possible to be used with these types of skimmers. Only downdrafts or becket skimmers can have an auto shut off due to their designs. I had one with my previous becket skimmer and they do work well for them.

Unread 12/02/2006, 01:32 PM   #359
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Not true. I have a float switch in my collection container that will shut off the recirc pump when it gets full.

It works very well, but you do add a float switch, low voltage power supply and a relay. So, it is not as simple as a float shutting off the air.

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260

Last edited by AcroSteve; 12/02/2006 at 02:13 PM.
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2006, 01:34 PM   #360
GSDgirl
Registered Member

I'm jealous of your set up! I wanna see more pics!

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon reef
GSDgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2006, 01:36 PM   #361
dgasmd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
Not true. I have a float switch in my collection container that will shutt off the recirc pump when it gets full.

It works very well, but you do add a float switch, low voltage power supply and a relay. So, it is not as simple as a float shutting off the air.
Does yours also shut off the air pump? Because if the air intake continious to go in, the skimmer will get pressurized unless it has a way of venting it.

I just assumed the guy asking here was refering to something like the becket auto shut off containers. You can make anything and everything you want, but after a certain point, I think automation works more against you than with you. This to me is not something I feel I need, so I don't have it. My skimmer would have to pump out 80+ gallons before I would have to worry about anything!!

Unread 12/02/2006, 01:52 PM   #362
clekchau
Premium Member

the guy agrees with you , however i work out of town m-thu so i want to take preventive measures to avoid a catastrophie, still researching on some kind of collecter container that will automatically shut off when it reaches capacity.

Unread 12/02/2006, 03:55 PM   #363
nyvp
Registered Member

why not have it drain outside directly and not worry about overdraining

Unread 12/02/2006, 04:26 PM   #364
marino420td
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
Not true. I have a float switch in my collection container that will shut off the recirc pump when it gets full.

I would more information on this set up. Can you please pm details so as to not derail this thread? Thanks.

marino420td is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2006, 08:11 PM   #365
nyvp
Registered Member

by all means derail this is for all to have fun thread

Unread 12/02/2006, 10:10 PM   #366
clekchau
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nyvp
why not have it drain outside directly and not worry about overdraining
i thought about this also and asked spazz, he did not suggest it as all of my neighbors would be highly upset at me due to the smell ha ha. he is building me a waste collecter that will stop the skimmer when it reaches capacity, not sure how he will do this though

clekchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2006, 11:41 PM   #367
46bfinGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clekchau
i thought about this also and asked spazz, he did not suggest it as all of my neighbors would be highly upset at me due to the smell ha ha. he is building me a waste collecter that will stop the skimmer when it reaches capacity, not sure how he will do this though

be sure to post some pics of the waste collector.id like to see how he makes it.man that skimmer is sweet!!!!

46bfinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2006, 01:00 AM   #368
jnarowe
Registered Member

here is a pic of my 6g collection bucket. I have an electronic float switch in it that shuts down the air pump and sounds an audible alarm...believe me, I have had many over-skimming events and since I rigged this up, all has been good. I believe that larger collection cups alllow for the foam to build and fall off the head more easily than smaller collection cups. I cut my riser tube at an angle ala Weatherson and it works great.

Unread 12/03/2006, 01:01 AM   #369
jnarowe
Registered Member

BTW, allowing it to drain directly to a house drain seems like a good idea, but you never know how much you are skimming and that can have a negative affect on your salinity.

Unread 12/03/2006, 06:42 AM   #370
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

jnarowe makes some good points. Espesially if you top off based on float switches or valves. I use a timer, so I could skim out many gallons without worry about a salinity change.

With my setup, I have a 24vDC power supply that supplies control voltage to several float switches on my system. I could have used 120v right from the wall socket, but for added safety, I got the power supply.

If you are familliar with relays, it is very simple. The 24v runs through the float switch which activates the coil of the relay. The common side of the relay contacts are connected to the wall 120v outlet and the normally closed contacts are connected to a "switched" outlet.

The relay on the left is the one that controlls the top outlet for the skimmer pumps. The relay in the middle with the knob controls the bottom outlet that my return pump is plugged into.

My current skimmer is a needle wheel without an additional air pump, but it would be very simple to shut it down also if I had one. I have another space available on the 3 way splitter.

And then, my collection cup with the switch.

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260

Last edited by AcroSteve; 12/03/2006 at 07:05 AM.
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2006, 07:10 AM   #371
qwuintus
Registered Member

Sweet deal...

Can you take pics of the entire room/setup for an overview. I way you have the OM setup on the bottom with the Y connectors and aquascaping seems optimal. The only thing I dont see are unions on the OM incase you want to change something.

Edit: After taking another look it seems that the mid portion doesnt have as much flow as the bottom. Why did you choose to use all the plumbing at the bottom to stay at that level? It could have easily be hidden by your rock work.

Also, I believe you can get more flow across your tank by using penducers (sp?) rather than the loc-lines.

With those in place and your tunzes there should be some sort of counter current I'm guessing. You could also utilize the top portion of your tank (where the kalk tank is) for some type of surge tank.

Your tank though, just thought I'd give some ideas. Later..

qwuintus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2006, 07:26 AM   #372
nyvp
Registered Member

[ qwuintus
Sweet deal...

>>> thanks

Can you take pics of the entire room/setup for an overview. I way you have the OM setup on the bottom with the Y connectors and aquascaping seems optimal. The only thing I dont see are unions on the OM incase you want to change something.
>>> yes there are unions right out of the om4way to disassemble everything

Edit: After taking another look it seems that the mid portion doesnt have as much flow as the bottom. Why did you choose to use all the plumbing at the bottom to stay at that level? It could have easily be hidden by your rock work.

>>> I relise that but what I will be doing in my high flow acros will be right in front
my low flow lps in middle and the rest that need alot of flow at the end. by the way the 6100 hits about 6-8 feet down the tank as well as the CL bouncing off the walls back at the rock work. Flow isnt an issue atm as I'm not going all sps. 20x is fine for me

Also, I believe you can get more flow across your tank by using penducers (sp?) rather than the loc-lines.

>>> yes that was an Idea down the road. This is just getting me rolling can chnage things later. I also have 8 holes in my brace incase I want to put a om8way over the top to increase flow as well.

With those in place and your tunzes there should be some sort of counter current I'm guessing. You could also utilize the top portion of your tank (where the kalk tank is) for some type of surge tank.

>>> true tnks for the ideas and input.

Unread 12/03/2006, 07:39 AM   #373
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
That looks like ALOT of carbon...

Unread 12/03/2006, 07:44 AM   #374
nyvp
Registered Member

ya i was thinking the same thing. It looks like a collector used for ozone use to get the smell out.

Unread 12/03/2006, 09:35 AM   #375
qwuintus
Registered Member

Looks like you have it all planned out- glad to hear.

Now where are those pics

qwuintus is offline   Reply With Quote