Macropharyngodon meleagris 78 33.05%
Macropharyngodon negrosensis 29 12.29%
Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2012, 09:54 PM   #2151
jason2459
Registered Member

Can't wait. I hear you about not taking flash. I don't take any pictures while in QT right now with the leopards and stay away as much as possible. Besides my camera skills are very bad anyway. The pictures I posted on the previous page are about as good as they get.

Here's a video I took before adding a clam, before removing the starry blenny, and before war was declared between the Potter's and Larger bipartitus. Thought I posted it here but guess only in my journal.

Sorry for the glare but like I said camera skills are lacking. You can click on the cog/gear looking icon and change to 720p for bit better quality.
http://youtu.be/eqw_kXY0k1Y?hd=1

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 10:01 PM   #2152
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

thanks for sharing and i love the potters leopard which is next on my DT,s list if they come up on the list .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 12:43 PM   #2153
jason2459
Registered Member

Potter's Wrasse [Expert Only], coming up on DD tonight

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 03/07/2012, 08:09 PM   #2154
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

lol i just have been watching my black leopard male and female going nuts in their new tank the female seems to be the aggressor and is taking on the colors of a male.i had just put in three newbies ,a black tail tamarim ,kuiter leopard ,and a royal cleaner and here my model black leopards that i have had for five years are going off the wall . gonna be a good test here and i might have to get the hook out !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 03/14/2012, 07:28 AM   #2155
Mike S
Registered Member

Been waiting to purchase a bipartitus and it looks like I'll have an opportunity coming up to acquire a juvenile/female. Does a sole juvenile/female in a display typically morph into a male or does it normally need the presence of another juvenile/female to trigger that change? After doing quiet of bit of searching I haven't come across anything conclusive and am trying to decide whether to get one or two.

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2012, 08:32 AM   #2156
jason2459
Registered Member

Mike it seems like they change "as the need arises"... What ever that means. Though it seems like they can change with out another female and also may never change even with multiple females.

Unread 03/14/2012, 08:33 AM   #2157
jason2459
Registered Member

I thought I posted here about the choati being available on LA the other day but looks like they are sold out again.

Unread 03/14/2012, 10:13 AM   #2158
Mike S
Registered Member

Thanks Jason it sounds like it is the luck of the draw.

Unread 03/14/2012, 12:35 PM   #2159
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Thanks Jason it sounds like it is the luck of the draw.
I noticed my female begin the male transformation when I got rid of my most aggressive fish at the time (square back anthias)... I guess the blackspotted leopard wanted to take the tank crown so he started changing colors. Its been about a year almost and he is still not fully changed but each month you do notice the new colors coming through.

Unread 03/14/2012, 06:02 PM   #2160
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

the bipartus does not need to be paired up to produce a male . i have had single females turn male with no other wrasses present .

Dave

Unread 03/14/2012, 09:19 PM   #2161
jason2459
Registered Member

Awesome! That's about sums up what I just saw. I remember in a previous post Dave you said that these leopards could swim in the sand and didn't take you very literally. I just saw my Potter's dive in the sand thinking he was going down for the night just to see him come back up on the other side of the rocks that he dove under. This was a good 2 foot swim under the sand and rocks. Just surprised the heck out of me I had to post this experience!

Unread 03/14/2012, 10:08 PM   #2162
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

you dont say ? amazing huh ,thanks for sharing that one and it definitely is true

Dave

Unread 03/15/2012, 04:17 AM   #2163
rnscross
Registered Member

I got this wrasse a couple of weeks ago, I have been looking for a leopard for a while, just waiting for a decent looking specimen that was eating to come along. I'm fail sure that its a Macropharyngodon ornatus, and was wondering whether I got this right, and what limitations this puts on my getting other leopard females? As I thought it was a meleagris, which were in the other tanks but it lacks the black/yellow spot on its side and has the beginings of the orange/yellow spot on the dorsal fin. thanks.

rnscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 07:15 AM   #2164
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

IMO it puts no limitations on what you van put into your tank as far as leopard wrasses . the limitation will be when you get a terminal male of a male close to this and then try to add another male or female that is a dominant one .for some great reason leopards can co exist pretty easily . i have a black terminal male leopard in my 210 and now i have to be careful as to not get him upset with the next additions and i do plan on some pretty expensive specimines so i may very well attempt to remove him so there will be a much better chance of harmony within the tank .

Dave

Unread 03/15/2012, 04:15 PM   #2165
aquaph8
Love The Fish

My favorite.
[IMG][/IMG]

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 07:01 PM   #2166
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

awesome Brett , i just put a kuiteri in my 210 and he immediately slipped behind my rock wall and got stuck back there . after hours trying i had to give up on him and i knew he was a going to die . fast forward three days and he poped out just like nothing had happened . we patched the couple of cracks where he could have snuck through and i am hoping that he stays out in the front of the wall from now on . such a beautiful wrasse huh ?

Dave

Unread 03/15/2012, 07:54 PM   #2167
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Glad to hear she's alright Dave, they are one of my all time favorites. I'm so glad they finally poped up for sale.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
Unread 03/15/2012, 08:18 PM   #2168
jason2459
Registered Member

Thanks for those photos. I have one now due to be added to my main tank at the end of the month assuming everything goes well. Still nervous about my Potter's as he's the rooster of the tank and already took out one female bipart. I have another one but won't let him bully to much. Just see them spin around a couple times and swim off on their separate ways.

Unread 03/15/2012, 09:57 PM   #2169
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Nice zoas, man!

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 10:02 PM   #2170
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by small alien View Post
Nice zoas, man!
Thank you

Unread 03/16/2012, 07:31 AM   #2171
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

I just bought this awesome male meleagris, Ive been looking for one for about 2 years now to go with my big girl meleagris. I was hoping she would turn male on me since she is about 3", but she never has.

Here he is in his acclimation box.

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2012, 05:21 PM   #2172
Mike S
Registered Member

I joined the club and picked up a male bipartitus yesterday. After acclimatimg him I put it in my DT and he immediately sand dove. I could see him squirming around last night. He poked his head up once for a minute after the lights went out and then burried himself deeper. I haven't seen him since but I know I need to be patient and not go looking for him. Hopefully he makes an appearance and I can get him eating before dosing the tank with prazi.

Unread 03/21/2012, 05:39 PM   #2173
jason2459
Registered Member

Great choice and good luck Mike. Just gotta have patience.

Unread 03/21/2012, 06:55 PM   #2174
Mike S
Registered Member

Well that didn't take long. My 3 year old said dady your fish is yawning. Sure enough my blue spotted jawfish who had camped out near the burried wrasse was sitting on the sand showing how big his mouth is to the new arrival who was sticking his head out of the sand. He is out and picking at the rocks. I can breathe a little easier for the moment.

Unread 03/21/2012, 06:56 PM   #2175
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

hey Mike you should dose with the prazi pro asap IMO. it will not effect his eating response in any way .

Dave