Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2015, 01:48 PM   #1
scelona
Registered Member

Bulkheads on sump?

I am getting ready to install a herbie overflow on my 40 gallon breeder and was thinking of ways to secure all the piping to reduce the stress on the DT bulkheads. The idea of installing bulkheads on my 20 G tall sump popped into my head and I tried to find examples of this with no success. Is there a reason I've never seen this done? You would have to be really precise with your plumbing and your sump would be immobile but neither of these things seem like an issue to me.

scelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 01:58 PM   #2
scelona
Registered Member

Might be worth mentioning that my sump will go under my tank in the stand so the bulkheads could theoretically help me reduce the lateral distance the plumbing will have to cover. just a thought

Unread 07/07/2015, 03:36 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

I ran a piece of wood along the back wall of my cabinet and attached the drain and return lines to it.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 03:58 PM   #4
scelona
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
I ran a piece of wood along the back wall of my cabinet and attached the drain and return lines to it.

That looks really nice, I will look to see if there's somewhere to mount brackets like that. Your setup looks really clean and well laid out, definitely what I am shooting for. I have seen so many people just hang all their plumbing from the DT bulkheads and am trying to avoid that.

Tags
bulkhead, herbie, overflow, plumbing, sump