Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2003, 09:24 PM   #1
epicentyr
Registered Member

pics needed help

Could someone post a pic of an O.bimaculatus, I ordered a O. bimaculoides from FishSupply.com and definitaly did not recieve a bimaculoides. I knew upon receiving it because my previous octos have been bimaculoides. I recieved an octo about 2-2.5 inch mantle with dark coloration and thick tenticles. I just am hoping that i didnt get a full grown pigmy species. Also this octo seems to be quite secretive, one of the reasons that i liked the bimac was because it was so playful.

thanks
Derek

epicentyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2003, 09:52 AM   #2
sideways
Registered Member

Does it have the blue false eye spots? If so, is the blue ring broken or solid?

sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2003, 10:38 AM   #3
cephalopoder
Premium Member

If you have kept O.bimaculoides before you know how to look for the false eye spots. O.bimaculatus looks very similar but grows about 3 times larger. The also have a longer arm to mantle length. If your new octopus has no false eyespots it is neither O.bimaculoides nor O.bimaculatus. With out knowing the ocean the octopus came from and some picures its is impossible to guess what you might have.
If you can, take some decent quality pics and post them.

Unread 02/18/2003, 11:02 AM   #4
epicentyr
Registered Member

thanks for the replies. My new octo does not have the false eye spots. i will try to poast some pics if he ever comes out. the only pics i have are from the underneath when he was going into my tank. since then he has been under a rock.

thanks
Derek

Unread 02/18/2003, 01:40 PM   #5
VL
Moved On

Have you told the folks @ fishsupply.com to see if they can tell you what they shipped?

I am interested because I am about 2-3 weeks away from making an order my self and they have been the better of the places to order one from.

VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2003, 02:41 PM   #6
epicentyr
Registered Member

yes i have talked to fishsupply and they insist that it is a bimac. I just finished tearing the tank apart and removed all of the hiding spots. waiting for the dust to settle to take a pic. i will be very supprised if it does turn out to be a bimac. it seems to be too brown and it has too many frilly hairs on it

Unread 02/18/2003, 04:28 PM   #7
cephalopoder
Premium Member

Relaxxxxxxx tearing your tank apart is not going to help at all. It will only stress your octopus.
I understand how you feel though. The first octopus I ever orderd was from fishsupply.
Like you, I had orderd a O.bimaculoides.
When I got my shipment I could tell right away that I didn't not have a O. bimaculoides. I was a little peeved. So I called to complain.
Jack explained to me that he sells them under the same names they are sold to him as.
To be honest he didn't even know that bimaculoides had false eye spots at the time.
Well I was at first dissapointed to get a octopus that was not a bimac after hearing good things about them. This was at a time long before this forum ever started and before tonmos' time. The cephalopod page and ceph-list were the only resource available to me.
Well my new octopus was nocturnal, lived in the sand and I had no idea what it was. So I took some pictures and sent emails out to Dr Woods. Dr Caldwell, Dr.Cigliano, Dr Forsythe...
It soon became known that what I had was a very rare species of octopus called macropus. Macropus is in the family of long arm octopuses that are red with white spots. Now instead of feeling upset with fishsupply, I called back to thank them! From that point I have been best of friends with Jack and I was the one who helped teach him what O.bimaculoides looks like. He now keeps his eyes open for strange looking octopuses for me and some I have sent to researches for the good of science.
So who knows what you have, but rather than being bummed about it, enjoy and lets ID the beast and go from there. Who knows you might have a very rare specimen that is of interest to science. A reseacher would gladly pay you your cost if they had a interest and you will be part of a discovery that could help science!
What people need to understand is octopuses change shape,color and there are over 300 species of octopus and many more undiscoverd. It is hard enough for the serious ceph experts to ID any species with out knowing where it was collected from and a big stack of books and research papers to their side. The only species that any LFS can ID are bimacs because of the false eye spots.
We must remember that even bimacs can be tricky for the untrained when they are small and not flashing the eyespots.
Try and get some pics when the little monkey comes out of hiding and we will go from there.
Good Luck!

Unread 02/18/2003, 10:22 PM   #8
epicentyr
Registered Member

just waiting. Now I am kind of excited to see what I have. Thanks Cephalopoder

Derek

Unread 02/19/2003, 08:08 PM   #9
epicentyr
Registered Member

good news he just began to eat. He ate 2 fiddler crabs tonight.

still waiting on a good pic to post.

Derek