Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2003, 12:31 PM   #1
sideways
Registered Member

fiberglass screen

I'm using fiberglass screen on the top of my tank to help it breathe a little better and keep it cooler. I want to close off my skimmer outlet too. Is the fiberglass screen ok to use under water or should I use something else. I was thinking of buying one of those green fish nets and cutting the netting out and using that, but I already have the screening so if that'll work it would be cheaper. Do you think I should seal it on with sealent or just rubberband it on?

Current Tank Info: At home: 20g FOWLR, 50g FOWLR, 46g bowfront FW... At work: Sea Nettles, Moon Jellies, 1300g lionfish and 11,000g FW
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2003, 09:17 PM   #2
sideways
Registered Member

nevermind, I cut the netting out of a fishnet

Current Tank Info: At home: 20g FOWLR, 50g FOWLR, 46g bowfront FW... At work: Sea Nettles, Moon Jellies, 1300g lionfish and 11,000g FW
Unread 03/28/2003, 06:07 AM   #3
cephalopoder
Premium Member

Hi
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
You can use window screen but you need to make sure it is does not have a mildew proof chemical added to it if it is ment for window screens. I personally use bridal veil or mesh filter bags. They all clog easily and need to be cleaned every now and then. When my bimacs are a bit bigger I just use the plastic screen cap that comes with the maxi jet pumps. I do not cover my bimac tanks or skimmer outlets. I have kept many bimacs and never had a problem doing this. They almost refuse to leave the water.

Unread 03/28/2003, 07:20 AM   #4
sideways
Registered Member

Thanks Chris,
I used the screen on the top to ventilate the tank some(It had nothing about mildew protectent on it), I had to cover it a bit since my girlfriend would freak in the off chance that she saw an octopus scuttle across the floor. Maybe once she gets used to it and gives it a cute girly name, she'll let the tank go topless...then again, maybe not. It would keep the tank cooler. I used some netting on the plastic elbo outlet of my bakpak2. I doubt the bimac would try to go up it against the force of the water, but then again it does look like a nice pvc pipe elbow like they like to hide in! Once I learn its mannerisms, I'll probably start opening the tank up, but for right now, better safe than sorry. My bimac is coming today, Jack has been very nice to me. Hopefully he'll arive in great condition!

Unread 03/28/2003, 09:13 AM   #5
cephalopoder
Premium Member

I am excited for you. Its always a adventure getting a new octopus. Keep us postd and good luck!

Unread 03/28/2003, 12:25 PM   #6
lawfish
Registered Member

Talking

Hi again sideways:

How is the new guy doing??? (getting mine in the morning. I wanted to thank Chris for mentioning Jack at fishsupply. IU mentioned you name and Jack was very helpful. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!!!!!

lawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2003, 05:36 PM   #7
sideways
Registered Member

Hey lawfish, he/she's doing great. Before I ever got it out of the bag it was flashing colors at me and shooting water several feet out of the bag. I've seen it go from tan to dark brown to gray to white to black and even mottled colors, it does this quicker than you can snap your fingers...it puts a chameleon to shame. He's hiding out a bit on the back glass behind the rocks, hopefully he'll get used to me soon enough and venture out.

ps What does an octo's normal breathing rate look like. Does his whole mantle move in and out and how fast? I just want to make sure the powerhead and skimmer are putting out enough oxygen. I feel like a first time parent, worrying myself to death.