Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/18/2011, 06:03 PM   #1
luv951
Registered Member

Unique Canopy Design

Due to some space limitations, I have to design my canopy to be a bit out of the norm. I think it will look OK, but decided to see what other's opinions were before I start building.

Here it the design I am currently working with. Ignore the lines, I just can't figure out how to get rid of them in Sketchup.

The stand and canopy will be ebonized and laquered (sp?) maple.

Unread 06/18/2011, 07:56 PM   #2
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

what type of light will be inside the canopy ? can you build the light compartment the same size as the top of the tank as that would be best .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 09:54 PM   #3
luv951
Registered Member

The light will be LED. No, I can't build the canopy all one size, as there is a fireplace mantle that intrudes on it. After a lot of back and forth, this is the only place that my wife and I want to put the tank, so a work-around for the mantle is needed.

Unread 06/18/2011, 09:58 PM   #4
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

if they are leds then you will be fine . are you planning on a fan in the set up ? heat really shouldnt be a problem but it always helps

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 10:29 PM   #5
luv951
Registered Member

not sure right now...I would like to avoid it if possible. If I do them, they will be inside the pendant and I will not put vents in it. I am thinking maybe just have then inside the pendant blowing across the heatsinks, but not have specific vents for them.

For a sense of scale, the tank is 30 x 30. The pendant will be about 23 x 21...23 being the width, when the tank is viewed from the front pane...

I plan to leave an inch or two between the bottom of the pendant and the top of the "ring" part of the canopy.

I just finished building the frame of the ring tonight and tomorrow I will trim it out, so I am already a day into this project, for better or worse

Unread 06/18/2011, 10:39 PM   #6
rayn
Registered Member

I think it would look cool and unique, especially sitting in a mantle. Could you incorporate a fan I.to your led setup and possibly have it on a temp switch where it only turns on when needed? Then possi my a closing type vent on the backside to open in and let the air get sucked in.

Unread 06/18/2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Bilk
Registered Member

It's a similar design to what I did. Use maple as well. Mine are led too. The tank is 24x24 and the light canopy is 20x20. The lights are about 5" lower at this point than in the pics. I didn't want to shock the corals and have them bleach out.

Bilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 10:51 PM   #8
peppie
Registered Member

Just a thought do you need the hood? Can you hang the lights? Could you just build a facia around the lights.
Might help with more suggestions if we had a few pics of the tank setting in place.

peppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2011, 10:53 PM   #9
peppie
Registered Member

Yea like Bilk did. lol
Got caught inbetween posts.

Unread 06/18/2011, 11:03 PM   #10
luv951
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayn View Post
I think it would look cool and unique, especially sitting in a mantle. Could you incorporate a fan I.to your led setup and possibly have it on a temp switch where it only turns on when needed? Then possi my a closing type vent on the backside to open in and let the air get sucked in.
Its not incorporated into the mantle. Its just in the general vicinity. I think these pics will help:

[QUOTE=Bilk;18918505]It's a similar design to what I did. Use maple as well. Mine are led too. The tank is 24x24 and the light canopy is 20x20. The lights are about 5" lower at this point than in the pics. I didn't want to shock the corals and have them bleach out.

Bilk - that is a beautiful tank! I love the stand also. In hindsight, I wish I had gone rimless, but I made a call based on putting this tank somewhere else. Its and Envision, so I don't really wanna just sell it to start over, although it did cross my mind.

What kind of LEDs are those? they dont look DIY. Where did you get them and are you happy with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppie View Post
Just a thought do you need the hood? Can you hang the lights? Could you just build a facia around the lights.
Might help with more suggestions if we had a few pics of the tank setting in place.
Basically my hood is a fascia around the lights. Since the tank has a euro brace, I built the "ring" section of the canopy to hide it. Apart from that, it will be very similar to Bilk's.

Unread 06/18/2011, 11:05 PM   #11
Bilk
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea like Bilk did. lol
Got caught inbetween posts.
The main light and the support (lamp tree) are from Cadlights. I hated the way the lights were suspended by some cables and the wires not only showed, but they didn't allow the light to hang plumb and level because of their weight. So I drilled the lamp tree - that's what Cadlights calls it - and ran the wires thru it. I also added those stunner strips for more coverage of the front and rear of the tank. I'll see how this setup works for a while. I may add this light purchase to the "wasted money" thread LOL and go with Maxspect.

Tank isn't doing bad with them though. Time will tell.

Unread 06/18/2011, 11:05 PM   #12
luv951
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilk View Post

What is the door made of??? how is it white and gold in one picture and black and blacker in the others??? man, that is cool.....

Unread 06/18/2011, 11:09 PM   #13
Bilk
Registered Member

Thanks. The 120w leds are from Cadlights as part of the package. The others are Stunner Strips from Ecoxotic. The stand is homemade

One more of the stand and sump

Unread 06/18/2011, 11:12 PM   #14
Bilk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv951 View Post
What is the door made of??? how is it white and gold in one picture and black and blacker in the others??? man, that is cool.....
The laminate on the doors is aluminum and has a photo-etched pattern that changes with the angle of the light. I thought it looked kind of organic and reef-like

Unread 06/18/2011, 11:30 PM   #15
luv951
Registered Member

Very nice setup! I like the simplicity of your rockwork and the stand is sweet.

I am plumbing through my wall, into the crawlspace and out to the garage to a fish room, so the stand is just for support. I don't think you can really tell in the pics, but the tank is basically an end table, between the sectional and the wall. I have to have my tank in the main room that we hang out it, or its not worth it to me. In our house, thats the great room, kitchen and the seat right in front of the tank will get a great view. Here are some pics of the frame I built today and the tank, sitting on the stand in its spot.

Unread 06/19/2011, 12:05 AM   #16
peppie
Registered Member

Man, That is a head scratch-er. Dont suppose you can move the fireplace 6'' to the right.LOL
It seems to me you are pretty handy with and I see you have the tools to back it up. You could scribe the mantle into the side of the hood. Not sure that is a visual option. I still like the hanging option.
Maybe you could mount a nice shelf support system to the back wall and mount the lights on that. It would give you the ability to adjust the height

Unread 06/19/2011, 12:39 AM   #17
luv951
Registered Member

Quote:
Man, That is a head scratch-er. Dont suppose you can move the fireplace 6'' to the right.LOL
It seems to me you are pretty handy with and I see you have the tools to back it up. You could scribe the mantle into the side of the hood. Not sure that is a visual option. I still like the hanging option.
Maybe you could mount a nice shelf support system to the back wall and mount the lights on that. It would give you the ability to adjust the height

Ya, no. Wifey killed that option pretty quickly! i am right now deciding between hanging the light from the ceiling or the wall. Each has its pluses and minuses.

Unread 06/19/2011, 07:11 AM   #18
Bilk
Registered Member

I think the tank will look nice there, but I don't envy having to service, maintain, aquascape, move things inside the tank and access it in that position and in such close proximity to nice furniture. I know you can move the sofa, but IMO that would be an added chore I wouldn't want. That said, you will obviously not only need the ability to raise the light out of the way for all of the aforementioned, but it will need adjustability. I also think, like me, you'll want to conceal the wiring to preserve the nice look of your room and have a "finished" product. Maybe you can fabricate something similar to what I have for this. My light fixture and enclosure isn't very heavy so one stantion worked well. I'm sure you could used wood for this. Just need to be a little inventive. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv951 View Post
Ya, no. Wifey killed that option pretty quickly! i am right now deciding between hanging the light from the ceiling or the wall. Each has its pluses and minuses.

Unread 06/19/2011, 08:00 AM   #19
Bilk
Registered Member

After looking at your setup again, I just noticed the external overflow, which makes things a bit tougher. Because your tank is euro-braced, use that to your advantage. You can support the lights and enclosure from the top of the tank. You'll still need to devise a way to raise and lower them, but it could still make the whole thing look very finished. The supports may only need to be front and back as you're encumbered by the projection of the mantle shelf. LED fixtures are very light so you don't need to over-design the supports.

Unread 06/19/2011, 08:26 AM   #20
Fish4Me2
Registered Member

Could you do a floating canopy that ends just above the mantle? You'd have a gap like Bilk does, but that tank looks great, and then your canopy would match the size of your tank.

Fish4Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2011, 08:45 AM   #21
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

Hanging it from the wall will look nicer IMO. Depends a bit on how high your ceilings are, but I was never personally a fan of long hanging lights from a ceiling.

Unread 06/19/2011, 11:07 AM   #22
luv951
Registered Member

Quote:
I think the tank will look nice there, but I don't envy having to service, maintain, aquascape, move things inside the tank and access it in that position and in such close proximity to nice furniture. I know you can move the sofa, but IMO that would be an added chore I wouldn't want. That said, you will obviously not only need the ability to raise the light out of the way for all of the aforementioned, but it will need adjustability. I also think, like me, you'll want to conceal the wiring to preserve the nice look of your room and have a "finished" product. Maybe you can fabricate something similar to what I have for this. My light fixture and enclosure isn't very heavy so one stantion worked well. I'm sure you could used wood for this. Just need to be a little inventive. Keep us posted.

Quote:
After looking at your setup again, I just noticed the external overflow, which makes things a bit tougher. Because your tank is euro-braced, use that to your advantage. You can support the lights and enclosure from the top of the tank. You'll still need to devise a way to raise and lower them, but it could still make the whole thing look very finished. The supports may only need to be front and back as you're encumbered by the projection of the mantle shelf. LED fixtures are very light so you don't need to over-design the supports.
The main position from which to access the tank will be to the right side as its shown in the pics. Being a cube, its the same access from any side, I just need to get the light out of the way. I have the frame constructed and it conceals the overflow box as well. But, ya, I am not really sure how I am going to do the lights. I am leaning towards hanging from the wall with the hanging mechanism allowing me to move the lights and also hiding the cords. I can go into the wall with the cords and then down and into the bottom of the stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4Me2 View Post
Could you do a floating canopy that ends just above the mantle? You'd have a gap like Bilk does, but that tank looks great, and then your canopy would match the size of your tank.
I thought about this, and if it was not euro-braced its what I would have done. Having it to do over again, I would definitely go with rimless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Hanging it from the wall will look nicer IMO. Depends a bit on how high your ceilings are, but I was never personally a fan of long hanging lights from a ceiling.
I tend to agree. We have 10 foot ceilings so it would be a long hang for sure.