Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/02/2009, 01:51 PM   #26
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Wow, who resurrected this?

Karl,

Sure you can grow algae in a wet/dry. The thing is that the algae do no usually uptaken nutrients as fast as they are produced. If you try it do frequent nitrate analysis.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2009, 08:46 AM   #27
mcarrick
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Not too tough to cut bio tower; but I have plenty of other large tanks to add to the sump. I am trying to make my bio tower as large as possible plus incorporate an algae scrubber. I am also going to have an outdoor barnacle and kelp tank as a refugium. The 5hp chiller arrives next week, and all of the plumbing is done, so it won't be long. I wiil get some photos up soon. Thanks.

mcarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2009, 10:37 AM   #28
coolwaves
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarrick View Post
I have plenty of other large tanks to add to the sump. I am trying to make my bio tower as large as possible plus incorporate an algae scrubber. I am also going to have an outdoor barnacle and kelp tank as a refugium. The 5hp chiller arrives next week, and all of the plumbing is done, so it won't be long. I wiil get some photos up soon.
sweet

coolwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2010, 11:42 AM   #29
katarina
Registered Member

I am still reading the first part of this topic split. Thank you very much for making this thread. I have already learned a ton of useful info.

katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2011, 01:25 AM   #30
Railgrinder
Registered Member

Wow Lots of great info here, i've only managed to read thru the lightning so far but vowel to read it all, just may take a year or two lol Thanks for all the time youve put into this WK

Railgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2012, 09:40 PM   #31
timothybui
Registered Member

Resurrecting this thread again.

First post for me, just wanted to thank Waterkeeper for all the info he is sharing. I'm still on the first page of the first thread before the split. Though I am still reading and researching, I had no idea how fast time went by as I am still here at work sitting in the office. Looks like I'm bringing work home with me tonight!

I'm fairly new to the new hobby. Actually I started this late December of 2011, mainly freshwater though. 60g with a cross breed FW (s/he really aggressive). 30g with two Convict Cichlids which are breeding my feeders. 3g nano planted with CRS.

I decided to switch up the game plan and go saltwater so I picked up a 40B and a 29g while Petco had their $1/gallon sale. Hoping to drill holes soon for the overflow and then paint the background. Will be using the 29g as a sump. I also bought a 15g tank off the shelf at the LFS with a built in overflow and it came with a pump rated at 105g /hr. The 15g has been up and running for 2 days already.

timothybui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2013, 09:51 PM   #32
JiveWalker
Registered Member

What a great thread!

Unread 11/10/2014, 12:00 AM   #33
nopun
Registered Member

thank you for this entertaining and educational thread!

nopun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 12:47 PM   #34
booie
Registered Member

Hi

I have a 22 gallon reef that is still cycling once the cycle is finished is it OK to grow SPS corals in it my light is a T5

booie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 01:09 PM   #35
DrAalam
Registered Member

Hi everybody my name is ahmad and it's my 1st post
it's my 6th week with:
Fluval edge 12g
Fluval canister filter 306
Hydor Koralia Nano 425
22lb LS
9.5lb LR
7 hermit crabs
3 red legs
15 blue legs
3 fancy snails
7 margrita snails

ammonia and nitrites are almost undetectable while nitrate is high.
there was a bloom of brown bacteria growing all over the sand and live rock for few days snails took care of it now green algae is growing over almost everything in small amounts but it looks like it's collecting day after anther. i rushed in the beginning with 2 clowns but they died once i added the canister the 3rd day. now i learned the lesson :-).
my question is : what is next and do i need to do water changes like every 2 days ?

DrAalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 10:00 AM   #36
SFKINNC
Registered Member

Where is the rest of this thread?

SFKINNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 06:17 AM   #37
Fishkeeper01
Registered Member

Thank you for this educational thread. This gave me a lot of information in starting up my reef tank.

Fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2018, 01:05 PM   #38
rempfield
Registered Member

Newbie... looking to purchase a tank soon

Only have room for 24" wide tank. Deciding between Biocube 32, Red Sea 170 (Reefer or E-Series).

I know Biocube isn't as customizable.

$ is not an issue... but I'm a total noob so I want to keep it simple to start.

Only looking to have a pair of clownfish with anemone and one other fish, perhaps a small Yellow Tang. Eventually coral as well.

Will definitely get a chiller as we live in SoCal and don't always use the AC in the summer.

Thoughts on Biocube vs 170? Reefer vs E Series?

Thanks

rempfield is offline   Reply With Quote