Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2018, 09:13 AM   #26
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

How are you Klir owners liking your roller mat? I'm thinking of the 7" version when it comes out

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 09:30 AM   #27
pecan2phat
Registered Member

You know what, I like it even if it's not perfect.
The possible simple fix for Coralvue might just be a better fleece manufacturer. It's meet all my needs in terms of easy use, no plumbing or rerouting of drain lines needed and no huge clearance needed in your stand.
It's kept my hands off dirty filter socks and filter cup pads and it's made my DT clearer then the previous filtration methods.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 09:40 AM   #28
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat View Post
You know what, I like it even if it's not perfect.
The possible simple fix for Coralvue might just be a better fleece manufacturer. It's meet all my needs in terms of easy use, no plumbing or rerouting of drain lines needed and no huge clearance needed in your stand.
It's kept my hands off dirty filter socks and filter cup pads and it's made my DT clearer then the previous filtration methods.
Good to hear. So only complaint is the fleece? How come you don't like the fleece?

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
Unread 09/14/2018, 10:07 AM   #29
pecan2phat
Registered Member

The fleece is just a guess on my part, could be the design of the fleece support bracket wall design also. But you can see what I'm referring to back on post 13 of this thread. You can see the uTube link for a 9 sec video.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 03:38 PM   #30
tletourneau
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
How are you Klir owners liking your roller mat? I'm thinking of the 7" version when it comes out
Once I worked out some (self-induced) issues it has been good. My water is as clear as it's ever been and I'm not blowing through fleece, although I did pick up a few spare rolls. Also, not having to deal with filter socks is great! I built an adapter for mine so if I have any issues it's a minute or two to go back to the socks. I don't expect any issues but it is a new product so I like to have a backup plan.

I haven't had any issues with the fleece but it would be greats if they diversify the product line a bit assuming that the filter is a success. The current fleece is 50 microns, I would like to have the option to choose a 20-25 micron fleece as well.

Unread 09/18/2018, 06:26 PM   #31
mnml
Registered Member

Mine is working as expected. However, I noticed if the fleece is not perfectly lined up on the roller, it will get stuck on the side of the filter as it advances. There’s not much room for error which is good and bad. Not andeal breaker but I had to unwind mine to line it up perfectly.

Also, it would be nice if they offered different grade fleece options.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 08:08 AM   #32
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tletourneau View Post
Once I worked out some (self-induced) issues it has been good. My water is as clear as it's ever been and I'm not blowing through fleece, although I did pick up a few spare rolls. Also, not having to deal with filter socks is great! I built an adapter for mine so if I have any issues it's a minute or two to go back to the socks. I don't expect any issues but it is a new product so I like to have a backup plan.

I haven't had any issues with the fleece but it would be greats if they diversify the product line a bit assuming that the filter is a success. The current fleece is 50 microns, I would like to have the option to choose a 20-25 micron fleece as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnml View Post
Mine is working as expected. However, I noticed if the fleece is not perfectly lined up on the roller, it will get stuck on the side of the filter as it advances. There’s not much room for error which is good and bad. Not andeal breaker but I had to unwind mine to line it up perfectly.

Also, it would be nice if they offered different grade fleece options.
Good to hear. Are you guys having the same issue with water escaping like pecan2phat?

Unread 09/19/2018, 10:11 AM   #33
mnml
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
Good to hear. Are you guys having the same issue with water escaping like pecan2phat?

Mine doesn't have water coming out the sides like that. I did slow down my flow going through the filter though. When mine gets clogged, you do see a water start to build up towards the top of the waterline and coming through the filter. Once the fleece advances, I don't see any surge coming out the top of the fleece where the water line is.

I only have 5 chromis in my tank at the moment so my bioload is light. I plan to add a fish next week now that my cycle has completed.

I'll update in a few weeks if there's any negative outcome from increased bioload.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 11:21 AM   #34
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

thank you

Unread 10/31/2018, 04:26 PM   #35
boshk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackrat View Post
You mentioned Clarisea!
Walk away now. These things are absolute junk. Mine managed to do one roll of fleece before the motor refused to move the roll anymore and needed to be moved by hand every day.

£280 is an awful lot of money to pay for a glorified filtersock.
Your Clarisea ran out of warranty?
I was thinking of the new SK5000

Current Tank Info: Reefer 170
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 10:10 PM   #36
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Well a Dreamreef sounds dreamy enough.

Unread 11/01/2018, 12:44 AM   #37
ispookie666
Registered Member

Hi from across the pond.
I run a X filter, launched by a c9mpany called innovitech. I'm running it on a 235g tank.

Their bigger version 1.7 will easily run systems around 600g.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ispookie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 12:46 AM   #38
ispookie666
Registered Member

This is the product

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ispookie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2019, 11:04 AM   #39
byee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackrat View Post
You mentioned Clarisea!

Walk away now. These things are absolute junk. Mine managed to do one roll of fleece before the motor refused to move the roll anymore and needed to be moved by hand every day.

£280 is an awful lot of money to pay for a glorified filtersock.

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering the Clearisea. Looks well built but looks can be deceiving!

I’ll wait for the bugs to be worked before I buy the KLIR. I like the KLIR simply because it drops into you filter sock holder.

byee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2019, 08:55 PM   #40
MentalNote
Registered Member

Just for another point of view, I've run a Clarisea SK-5000 since early December. I have had absolutely zero issues with it and would highly recommend it. I've used filter socks; I've used no sock.

-My issue with filter socks is I don't change them every few days - causing the waste to simply breakdown in my sock. I also hated washing them.
-My issue with no socks is the crud builds up in my sump, and breaks down there.

Now, whenever I hear the Clarisea roller advance - from the comfort of my couch - I smile.

Unread 03/10/2019, 04:34 PM   #41
markster33139
Registered Member

I would like to add that I have been using the new GEO roller sump for 4 months now and I couldn't be happier, and like the last poster stated I too smile when the motor advances. GEOs sumps are top quality and his modified Clarisea works extremely well in this application.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Unread 03/21/2019, 11:06 AM   #42
KnightMetro
Registered Member

I'm still not all sold any any system just yet.

Some of the stand alone drop ins feel a bit small or I wonder where I would put them in my future sump. The ones that are designed with/within a sump, like the Geo and the soon Trigger sumps, these are very costly. Very.

Now, that being said, this concept shot from Trigger looks to be exactly what I have in mind. A wide roller mat that takes care of the entire entry chamber. If they released this within the size and design of the Tritton 44, I would be highly interested.

That said, the cost would be? I probably don't want to know.

KnightMetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 10:29 PM   #43
Bary
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalNote View Post
Now, whenever I hear the Clarisea roller advance - from the comfort of my couch - I smile.
Nothing better than peace of mind while lounging! Cheers!

Bary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 03:03 PM   #44
biecacka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
I heard he is in the Florida panhandle.
Wonder how he did with the storm?

Just seen this. He’s doing great. Spoke with him not long ago.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 10:52 AM   #45
david.d
Registered Member

ClariSea 3000

I ordered the Clarisea 3000 from Amazon, which was probably not the best move as I received the European version with a 32mm intake fitting. There's an installation video from Clarisea with a guy who is trying to see how fast he can put it together, and so after you watch it at least 5 times to figure out what he's doing, you can eventually figure it out. And the video uses a few different parts. You would think they could re-do the video with the right parts. You should put this together where no one can hear you cussing. For the first 2 days, I couldn't get my skimmer to work. It would just foam overboard on the lowest setting. I think there's a coating on the filter roll that my Bubble Magus skimmer does not like. On day 3 I was going to send it back when the skimmer started to work. By day 4 it had used up about 40% of the filter roll although much of that was due to shooting up aiptaisa too aggressively. I'm still not 100% sure I'm keeping it, BUT, the water is very noticeably cleaner, and skimmer is starting to work, and so I'm hopeful this works out, although I haven't thrown the box away yet. It is definitely a great idea with the float switch advancing the roll just a tad each time, but I do have concerns about the motor holding up long-term.

david.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2019, 06:11 PM   #46
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Is there a cost savings to having to assemble it?

Unread 07/20/2019, 08:49 PM   #47
david.d
Registered Member

There is no option to buy it pre-assembled. I'm sure it would cost more for the manufacturer to sell it already assembled, which would increase the already somewhat hefty cost. But they could do a better job with the video instructions.

Unread 07/24/2019, 08:54 PM   #48
RobbyG
Registered Member

This may be a dumb question but assuming your sump is in the house doesn't the used Mat section give off a terrible stench after a few days of rotting material being accumulated? Also how long does the 50 yard roll last in a typical tank setup?

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2019, 10:04 AM   #49
david.d
Registered Member

I can't smell it at all, even close up. I'm 8 days in with the Clarisea and roll 1 is close to being exhausted, although that's likely because I was trying to get rid of aiptasia and had a bunch of crap in the water. I think they put a coating on the filter to control the smell. The smell is not an issue for me, but I'm still not confident on my skimmer. It was just overflowing constantly, either because the water was too clean or there is a coating on the filter roll that the skimmer doesn't like. I think the skimmer is starting to stabilize now, but if it happens again when I put a new roll on, I'm going to be very upset. The water quality is improved, so I hope this works out.

Unread 07/25/2019, 10:09 AM   #50
david.d
Registered Member

I'm hoping to get 4-8 weeks out of a roll going forward, but we'll see. Replacements for the 3000 model are about $20.