Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2018, 09:59 PM   #1
PirateLove
Registered Member

Have to do something about these flatworms

About a week or two ago I noticed these little bugs by my powerhead. I posted a pic and they were id'd as flatworms. I just looked at my tank and they are all over the glass now and on the stalks on my frogspawn. I have two questions...

Would getting a yellow wrasse be a good first step? I heard they will eat them. I do not like the look of 6 line wrasses.

Also, are there any other pests that would affect or kill a frogspawn coral?

Thanks!

Current tank: Cad Lights 42 versa. Kessil AP700. Some Sps and Lps.
PirateLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 10:34 PM   #2
Daddi0
Registered Member

I have a Dwarf Flameback Angel that picks at rocks all day long.

Unread 01/31/2018, 07:43 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

I've tried manual removal. You'll never get on top of the problem that way unless you devote 32 hours/day to the job.

I've tried a green coris wrasse - he became a bully and didn't even dent the population. I ended up catching him with a #10 barbless flyfishing hook and line. He went to the LFS where they put him in with the large triggers and Lionfish where he held his own without issue.

I've tried Flatworm Exit. The first time at 1.5 x the suggest dose, the second a week later at 2x. Got some of them that way, but the remaining ones just laughed at me.

Then I got a pair of Blue Star Leopard Wrasses - both smallish females. They hit the water hunting and within a week there was not a FW to be found. They even carefully plucked them right off the fleshy part of my prized Elegance coral, without disturbing it at all. They continue to spend their days cruising the reef together, although one has made the switch to male. As an added bonus, they are probably the most visually stunning fish I have ever kept, and at least IME, 110% reef safe. (unless you are a flatworm)

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 08:58 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

It's good to know that leopard wrasses are so effective at eating flatworms.

A yellow wrasse (H. chrysus) should be an expert at it too. I agree to make sure that you don't get the much bigger/meaner green or any actual Coris sp wrasse.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 10:54 PM   #5
Sgchick
Registered Member

I looked these up on Live Aquaria and they are gorgeous. Live Aquaria says they require expert care. Do you feel they are difficult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I've tried manual removal. You'll never get on top of the problem that way unless you devote 32 hours/day to the job.

I've tried a green coris wrasse - he became a bully and didn't even dent the population. I ended up catching him with a #10 barbless flyfishing hook and line. He went to the LFS where they put him in with the large triggers and Lionfish where he held his own without issue.

I've tried Flatworm Exit. The first time at 1.5 x the suggest dose, the second a week later at 2x. Got some of them that way, but the remaining ones just laughed at me.

Then I got a pair of Blue Star Leopard Wrasses - both smallish females. They hit the water hunting and within a week there was not a FW to be found. They even carefully plucked them right off the fleshy part of my prized Elegance coral, without disturbing it at all. They continue to spend their days cruising the reef together, although one has made the switch to male. As an added bonus, they are probably the most visually stunning fish I have ever kept, and at least IME, 110% reef safe. (unless you are a flatworm)

Sgchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 01:00 AM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Yes, they can be. You certainly should try to get one that is in peak physical condition to start with if you are going to try them.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 03:40 AM   #7
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgchick View Post
I looked these up on Live Aquaria and they are gorgeous. Live Aquaria says they require expert care. Do you feel they are difficult?
There is a huge primer thread in the reef fish section about leopard wrasses. There is some good reading in there.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 06:06 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

I think the "expert" rating is due mainly to their need for a proper sand bed to sleep in and having a well established tank so that there is plenty for them to hunt. They will be happiest when they can cruise around all day finding little morsels to feast upon. In a newer tank, that just won't be the case.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 07:54 AM   #9
Sgchick
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies on the wrasse. I also thought the Valentini would eat the peppermint shrimp, but I have 3 that have been around for 4 months now and he doesn't even look at them...lol...I guess time will tell. I will check out the other wrasse that were mentioned.. and the articles...thanks so much!

Unread 02/17/2018, 07:56 AM   #10
Sgchick
Registered Member

I should have mentioned that my tank has been running for 4 years now :-)

Unread 02/17/2018, 08:32 AM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I think the "expert" rating is due mainly to their need for a proper sand bed to sleep in and having a well established tank so that there is plenty for them to hunt. They will be happiest when they can cruise around all day finding little morsels to feast upon. In a newer tank, that just won't be the case.
That, and the fact that they don't ship/acclimate well.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 07:53 PM   #12
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Levansole treatment worked for me it was a one and done treatment. It was so easy

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 08:25 PM   #13
Cari
Registered Member

Melanarus wrasse (male) for me, beautiful fish, great personality. Wouldn’t be without one!

Cari is offline   Reply With Quote