Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2018, 06:18 PM   #1
houston220
Registered Member

Tank Fabricators

I tried searching for feedback on tank fabricators and cannot pull up the old thread. Am I doing something wrong?

Any companies highly recommended for a 180 to 200 gallon glass tank?

houston220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

I just purchased a 72x30x24 from my LFS which I have been doing business with for over 20 years and I bought my current tank from in 1998. That said the custom builder he ordered my custom build from is the original owner/builder of Oceanic Tanks which I have a Model 135 Oceanic that has been wet since 2000. My new tank will be 1/2" glass panes, back drilled for a Synergy Shadow Overflow and 3/4" bottom with traditional framing and bracing. The tank cost me $1459.00 drilled and delivered to the LFS plus sales tax. I went with this because I prefer to support local businesses (I doubt my LFS made much money on the tank sale but they know I will spend more money with them). The delivered cost was inline with what I had found if I ordered online or from a custom builder shipped to my home. Since I have had great luck with my Oceanic, it is over built IMO, if this builder is in fact the same builder as my Oceanic I am OK with that.

Myself I looked at Glasscages, Customaquariums, Marineland and AGA. Note I have not owned any of these tanks nor purchased from any of these builders. I will share what I found researching my tank purchase. All of these offer a standard 180 or 220 but I wanted a wide 220 not a tall 220. Also, there are some very good builders in Canada but I just did not want to deal with all of that.

Glasscages: had mixed reviews many claimed poor quality construction. But I found nothing definitive or negative enough to discourage me from considering them. They were high on my short list since they offered the tank size I wanted off the shelf and a reduced shipping cost if I picked up the aquarium at one of their drop sites.
Customeraquariums: I found very little in the way of reviews for this builder. They we not high on my list since they did not offer any kind of help with shipping cost, which is a big deal when you are looking at $400 - $500 shipping cost in itself. But they do offer a huge selection of standard sizes. They have an exceptional website.
Marineland did not offer the size I wanted so they were not considered. But they are considered by most as the standard in off the shelf builders. There are some complaints about tank failures with Marineland, mainly with their DD tanks.
AGA (Aqueon) did not offer the tank size I wanted so they were not on my list. Again another company measured as the off the shelf builder. In fact they are the builder that purchased the Oceanic name.

If you are looking at a 73.5x25x30 210 or a 73.5x25.13x26.25 180 you can walk into most any LFS and purchase this tank in either a Marineland or AGA.

Hopefully this was helpful, Good Luck!

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 09:22 PM   #3
houston220
Registered Member

Unfortunately I have two load bearing walls that limit my size to about 70” so I am stuck with a custom build. Would have to drive about two hours to support a LFS and I am uncomftable hauling the tank that far, so I am shopping. Thanks for the info on the other builders.

I think my old tank was Oceanic but it was a standard size.

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:37 PM   #4
MarkW64
Registered Member

Be sure to include Miracles in Ontario as one of the options you check out. They ship to the US all the time, no “hassle” at all. They built my tank two years ago. For what I wanted they were the best balance of cost/build quality.

Unread 02/06/2018, 10:03 PM   #5
JaySchulz
Registered Member

I had customaquariums.com build my custom tank. The experience was great and prices are awesome. Shipping was included in the price and with most tanks they ship to your front door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 10:09 PM   #6
akopley
Premium Member

Have my third custom glass cages tank on the way now. Quality is good enough for me. I had to clean up silicon on my last tank but am hoping since I paid extra for black silicon on my 240 (3 side low iron glass) peninsula it will be better.

akopley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 08:46 AM   #7
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston220 View Post
I tried searching for feedback on tank fabricators and cannot pull up the old thread. Am I doing something wrong?

Any companies highly recommended for a 180 to 200 gallon glass tank?
Making a tank out of fabric sounds like a terrible idea.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 09:20 PM   #8
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
I had customaquariums.com build my custom tank. The experience was great and prices are awesome. Shipping was included in the price and with most tanks they ship to your front door.

My current tank came here. Very pleased. Have also used Miracles and liked them as well.

Unread 02/10/2018, 11:41 PM   #9
zoanutty
Registered Member

Go on Facebook and look up TankMe. His name is Gaston Bianchi.

zoanutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 08:18 AM   #10
jh2pizza
Registered Member

Glasscages come through for me in a huge way. I was seeking a 220 30" deep with no overflows. ( I use external overflows due to it being built into the wall, you cannot see them) and they had one cut out, but not assembled as they were going to bring the exact tank to MACNA. I had it in 10 days. I discussed my concerns about the attention to detail on the seams and they did a great job.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 180 in wall, 100 sump, Geo Kalk Reactor, Tunze 9415 skimmer, Geo Media Reactors, Geo 624 CA Reactor
jh2pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 01:00 PM   #11
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Why not acrylic!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 09:44 PM   #12
houston220
Registered Member

Personal preference

Unread 02/15/2018, 02:47 PM   #13
fixmgood
Registered Member

AGE out of Garland Texas,you will not be sorry.Great product.
Check it out on my build thread,look at bottom of this post.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote