Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2017, 07:28 AM   #776
reefmutt
Registered Member

So, you're using reefbrite LEDs to supplement your.... LEDs.. now there's another first!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 10:49 AM   #777
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
Just to clarify, I have no idea what to think because there is very little data either early in the process or later. My perception is that the anecdotes don't point to anything definitive in any direction, which is why I am kind of desperate for any kind of data. In my mind a survey might shed some light on the instances of anecdote as people tend to remember the stories that confirm their feelings on the matter and forget the ones that don't.
Confirmation bias is difficult to account for in the simple surveys typically posted on these boards and I expect would be hard to rule out in any poll on this subject . It and other external variables specific to a given aquarium or aquarist are a bit more discoverable in anecdotal case by case studies with q and a IME. In other words , connecting with those using a specific method and digging in one case at a time may offer insight for a disciplined analyst in assessing the probative value if any of a given anecdote. This is not data either may be more helpful when viewed through a prism tinted with some knowledge of the biology and chemistry involved including relevant published works if any to determine plausibility and perhaps even probablilty of a specific cause and effect.

My perception based on my own experience with organic carbon dosing and other nutrient control methods, anecdotal accounts of others and a myriad of papers is that organic carbon dosing reduces PO4 as the heterotrophic bacteria it supports use it along with nitrogen and carbon . If nitrate was/is the only target a sulfur denitrator might be a better option. If on the other hand the aquarist is unconcerned about nutrient levels and balance then no action is an obvious choice.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.

Last edited by tmz; 01/26/2017 at 12:17 PM.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 11:12 AM   #778
jason2459
Registered Member

I have a couple cases where I have seen a dramatic shift in PO4 due to driving up bacteria counts.

First time was when I first rebuilt my 55 gallon tank with pukani dry rock. My PO4 levels were extremely high. I started experimenting with a new method at the time of providing a carbon source through a pellet form. IO had a patent out in using tiny pellets in the substrate. Another company came out with larger pellets that were being put in mesh bags and some were figuring out how to use a reactor with them.

I tested out a different much cheaper source through using shapelock pellets used by hobiest to form the pha into different forms.

To me it worked well and helped to reduce my PO4 and defeat hair algae. Interesting side note I did not have elevated nitrates at the time and never really have had elevated nitrates.

Second instance where I feel I can say carbon dosing influenced PO4 was when changing my carbon sources. Since using that shapelock worked so well I kept looking into other forms of carbon dosing and landed on dosing just vinegar. I was able to for many years not use GFO at all and keep my PO4 levels around .02 to .09ppm with no concern of nitrates being under 5mg/l as always.

However, about a year ago I changed from dosing just vinegar to a mixture of Vodka and Vinegar using around the same ratio that TMZ uses of 690ml of Vinegar to 310ml Vodka. I adjusted dosage to equate what I was dosing vinegar wise to provide the same amount of a carbon source. My nitrates quickly became undetectable and PO4 dropped and stayed in a range below .02ppm.

I have actually in the past couple months switched back to dosing just vinegar and my nitrates have gone back to around 2.5-5mg/l and phosphates ranging again around .02-.09ppm.

So, take it for what its worth. But we do know bacteria does consume some form of C:N: P. Plus several other minor and trace elements. With the need of other elements to even metabolism them like Na, K, and Mg.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 11:25 AM   #779
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I have a permanent 90g fishless tank for coral quarentine and I am able to have NO3 of 2.5ppm, and PO4 of 0.1ppm just dosing coral powder food 3 times per week. acros are maintaning color and seem not to mind being fishless and nutrients are in tank without dosing chemicals.

I would preffer to add coral food.

Food is my first choice but some favor "nutrient fixing"( balancing N and P and C to prevent a limiting nutrient/see Liebig's law) This approach has been a mainstay for freshwater planted tanks for a long time and may have some useful applications in saltwater aquariums. It seems to be particulary useful, if the goal is to raise only one nutrient . As noted , I do toy with the nitrate side of that a tiny bit from time to time ; never needed to added phosphate though. Sometimes folks can strip it out with gfo or other aggressive treatments.Discontinuing the gfo ,lanthanum or whatever binder is in play coupled with a bit of extra food usually fixes it but if one want's to toy with phosphate additions the Seachem product is a reasonable choice.

I feed heavily, btw and I'm curious about your favorite coral food.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.

Last edited by tmz; 01/26/2017 at 12:19 PM.
Unread 01/27/2017, 07:20 AM   #780
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
I used to run MH until two years ago. I ran 4 250's, 2 in each reflector, 2 Radiums and 2 Ushio 14k (I think). After killing 90% of my SPS after amquel additions I switched to Radions G3's, now G4's. So, no MH now.

I have also run 2 XHO reefbrite strips, one front on back, with both the MH and the current lights.
Thales,
do the 2 XHO reefbrite strips give you something you like now that you run them with the G4s? I ask becuase I understand when you used them with the Halides, but now with the G4s, what is the purpose of the strips?
or you are using them because you already had them?
do you run the strip just in dusk and dawn?
blue strips correct?

Thanks

Unread 01/29/2017, 10:57 AM   #781
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Thales,
how many G4s do you have over your tank? XR30Pros G4s?
can I know the dimensions of your tank?

thanks
3 pros. Previously 3 g3 pros.

5 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet.

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 11:01 AM   #782
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post

My perception based on my own experience with organic carbon dosing and other nutrient control methods, anecdotal accounts of others and a myriad of papers is that organic carbon dosing reduces PO4 as the heterotrophic bacteria it supports use it along with nitrogen and carbon . If nitrate was/is the only target a sulfur denitrator might be a better option. If on the other hand the aquarist is unconcerned about nutrient levels and balance then no action is an obvious choice.
And the forums are filled with reports of Phosphate not budging with carbon dosing. The reality and the theory don't seem to mesh up in aquaria at least anecdotally. Conformation bias is hard to account for in anecdote!

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Unread 01/29/2017, 11:01 AM   #783
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
So, you're using reefbrite LEDs to supplement your.... LEDs.. now there's another first!
hehe. It does help deal with the shadowing problem.

Unread 01/29/2017, 11:03 AM   #784
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I have a couple cases where I have seen a dramatic shift in PO4 due to driving up bacteria counts.

First time was when I first rebuilt my 55 gallon tank with pukani dry rock. My PO4 levels were extremely high. I started experimenting with a new method at the time of providing a carbon source through a pellet form. IO had a patent out in using tiny pellets in the substrate. Another company came out with larger pellets that were being put in mesh bags and some were figuring out how to use a reactor with them.

I tested out a different much cheaper source through using shapelock pellets used by hobiest to form the pha into different forms.

To me it worked well and helped to reduce my PO4 and defeat hair algae. Interesting side note I did not have elevated nitrates at the time and never really have had elevated nitrates.

Second instance where I feel I can say carbon dosing influenced PO4 was when changing my carbon sources. Since using that shapelock worked so well I kept looking into other forms of carbon dosing and landed on dosing just vinegar. I was able to for many years not use GFO at all and keep my PO4 levels around .02 to .09ppm with no concern of nitrates being under 5mg/l as always.

However, about a year ago I changed from dosing just vinegar to a mixture of Vodka and Vinegar using around the same ratio that TMZ uses of 690ml of Vinegar to 310ml Vodka. I adjusted dosage to equate what I was dosing vinegar wise to provide the same amount of a carbon source. My nitrates quickly became undetectable and PO4 dropped and stayed in a range below .02ppm.

I have actually in the past couple months switched back to dosing just vinegar and my nitrates have gone back to around 2.5-5mg/l and phosphates ranging again around .02-.09ppm.

So, take it for what its worth. But we do know bacteria does consume some form of C:N: P. Plus several other minor and trace elements. With the need of other elements to even metabolism them like Na, K, and Mg.
Interesting. Surely different sources encourage different bacteria. If I get it together perhaps I'll do a mix and start dosing again.

Unread 01/29/2017, 11:06 AM   #785
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Thales,
do the 2 XHO reefbrite strips give you something you like now that you run them with the G4s? I ask becuase I understand when you used them with the Halides, but now with the G4s, what is the purpose of the strips?
or you are using them because you already had them?
do you run the strip just in dusk and dawn?
blue strips correct?

Thanks
The strips help prevent the heavy showing that you often get from LED 'main' lights. Yes blue strips. I am a fan of 'more blue' so this way I get that along with the less blue light from the radions.

Unread 01/29/2017, 08:57 PM   #786
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
And the forums are filled with reports of Phosphate not budging with carbon dosing.
This probably occurs from the P in their rock. The growing bacteria must have P of course, and it must come from somewhere. And those folks are dosing because of "nutrient problems" that have been building, so there is most probably a lot of P coming out of the rock.

Unread 01/29/2017, 09:47 PM   #787
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Thanks for the detail on the leds. I'm considering changing over one of my sps tanks from mh /vho actinic with reefbrites. Did switch over one tank form 175 20K MH which is more lps with some sps and it's doing fine . I still use the reefbrtites on that one too.

Unread 01/29/2017, 10:17 PM   #788
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Interesting. Surely different sources encourage different bacteria. If I get it together perhaps I'll do a mix and start dosing again.
Perhaps, the acetobacter( that oxidize the ehtanol to acetic acid ) take up a bit more than those metabolizing the acetate; maybe not. The vodka vinegar mix does well for me in reducing phosphate and nitrogen as seen in a nitrate reduction overtime and maintaining both at relatively low levels in a heavily fed system. .
Your tank as pictured looks fine with high nutrients ,though: so I'm not sure I'd change much. Might try to keep them somewhat constant particulary phosphate at a level of your choice given the many roles it plays like ATP energizing the calcioblastic fluid and calcification alterations by high PO4., protein phosphorylation, dna, phospholipids et alia.

Unread 01/29/2017, 10:20 PM   #789
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
This probably occurs from the P in their rock. The growing bacteria must have P of course, and it must come from somewhere. And those folks are dosing because of "nutrient problems" that have been building, so there is most probably a lot of P coming out of the rock.
Could be in some cases where PO4 is high at the start ; eventually it should equilibriate if PO4 from the water column is kept relatively low.

Unread 01/29/2017, 11:56 PM   #790
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Apparently we see them differently.

Don't take this the wrong way; not trying to be picky. Did you mean conformation bias or confirmation bias? I know what the later means ; not sure of the contextual meaning of the former.

Unread 01/30/2017, 12:17 AM   #791
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
And the forums are filled with reports of Phosphate not budging with carbon dosing. The reality and the theory don't seem to mesh up in aquaria at least anecdotally. Conformation bias is hard to account for in anecdote!
Apparently we interpret what we've read and observed differently or reviewed different things.
Not to be picky; but did you mean confirmation bias or conformation bias? I know what the former means in psychology and skepticism and it seems to be the same as your earlier explaination as to why a survey could be refuted or interpreted with a positive response translatable to a negative which left me puzzled as to why you would you'd favor a false trail by suggesting a survey in the first place. If you mean conformation bias I'm not sure of your meaning in the context of this discussion. Perhaps you could clarify.

Unread 01/30/2017, 11:34 AM   #792
reefmutt
Registered Member

Speaking of clarification, I'd LOVE some here.. this is way beyond me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Might try to keep them somewhat constant particulary phosphate at a level of your choice given the many roles it plays like ATP energizing the calcioblastic fluid and calcification alterations by high PO4., protein phosphorylation, dna, phospholipids et alia.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/30/2017, 12:01 PM   #793
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Matt; It's just a partial list of known biological functions where phosphate is used by organisms including corals and a suggestion that sharp variations in availablility may stress the organisms as they adjust.
Often discussions about phosphate are confined to it's contribution to nuisance algae and cyano bacteria and it's effect in altering the growth of skeltal coral mass . It plays a more complex role than that in living things.

Unread 01/30/2017, 02:21 PM   #794
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks. Yes, it seems to me that sps in particular are sensitive to those shifts. In my experience, they seem to be more stressed by the drops in p than increase but clearly each shift requires an adaptation by the coral.
Sorry Rich, I'm sure you won't mind a tiny chemistry lesson deviation in your thread..
Tom, would you tell me what ATP stands for and what protein phosphorylation is, please?

Unread 01/31/2017, 12:08 AM   #795
Acronic
The Fifth Master

ATP is essentially the intracellular transfer of energy or food (chemicals) used for metabolism

ATP stands for adenosine triphosphate

Picture it as a school bus that picks up the energy from school and brings it home to the cell

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 01:03 AM   #796
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Nice explanation Acronic.

In calcification the ATP provides energy to transfer calcium taken up by coral polyps to the calcioblastic fluid( extracytoplasmic calcifying fluid/ECF) from which the calcium carbonate skeletal matrix is formed.

As I understand it ,protein phosphorylation and dephosphorylation are ezymatic activities that ,respectively, add and subtract charged additions including phosphate to amino acids which help organisms adjust to changing conditions and to modifiy amino acids and protein chains. Someone else may chime in and be able to offer a clearer explanation.

Last edited by tmz; 02/01/2017 at 12:15 AM.
Unread 01/31/2017, 08:21 AM   #797
Acronic
The Fifth Master

Haha thanks Tom.

My apologies for my crude understanding of the matter. Unfortunately, I learned how to run before I could walk in biology

Unread 01/31/2017, 01:28 PM   #798
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

No apology needed .My comment wasn't meant to be sarcasm. I really think your explanation was elegant,concise and understandable. I just added a bit of specificity on where the energy bus stops are in the calcification process.

Last edited by tmz; 01/31/2017 at 01:35 PM.
Unread 01/31/2017, 01:57 PM   #799
Acronic
The Fifth Master

Excellent! If you ever require a layman translation in your guy

Unread 02/01/2017, 12:13 AM   #800
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

You bet. Colorful wrasse in your avatar; what is it?