Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2015, 06:07 AM   #101
biggles
Registered Member

I'm redesigning my matrix holder after watching a show with a guy doing some gold sifting on a river bank............ came to me like WHAM ! - that's the answer to debris buildup, flow and everything.

We need pics please Mike, i want to know if you're a noodle stacker.......

Love your simple but effective DIY approach to reefing Daniel

Unread 10/06/2015, 10:06 AM   #102
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
Exactly what made the Siporax more appealing to me. I find reactors always accumulate debris which requires removal and disassembly to clean. Since most of the filth ends up on the bottom of the reactor all the media needs to come out for a proper cleaning. The egg crate box, on the other hand, can be kept clean simply by moving the media by hand and letting the water flow move accumulated debris back on its way. Just a theory at the moment as I just built and installed my box and Siporax on Sunday
I'm building an eggcrate box and loading matrix into media bags then just stacking them in the box for easy cleaning. Although I may not get optimal performance, with 3 liters of matrix in a 135 gallon tank, I think I'll be ok with whatever performance I get out of it.

pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 03:45 PM   #103
rodneyri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I'm redesigning my matrix holder after watching a show with a guy doing some gold sifting on a river bank............ came to me like WHAM ! - that's the answer to debris buildup, flow and everything.

We need pics please Mike, i want to know if you're a noodle stacker.......

Love your simple but effective DIY approach to reefing Daniel
you aint going to find gold in there

I plan on running my siporax in a reactor with low flow, and blast it weekly to clear out any detrius.

Unread 10/06/2015, 04:08 PM   #104
M007
Acro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I'm redesigning my matrix holder after watching a show with a guy doing some gold sifting on a river bank............ came to me like WHAM ! - that's the answer to debris buildup, flow and everything. We need pics please Mike, i want to know if you're a noodle stacker....... Love your simple but effective DIY approach to reefing Daniel
No way I was going to stress stacking those little cylinders

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2123797864.jpg (76.1 KB, 384 views)

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2015, 04:16 PM   #105
M007
Acro Whore

I've got a 6045 in that sump section for some gentle water movement and dropped a couple of orphaned corals on top just top speed the seeding process along. Managed to talk someone into bringing me another 10L of Siporax from Germany so I should be able to top off my little ghetto box in a couple of weeks. Now I'm trying to figure out how to engineer a small Gyre into the mix.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
Unread 10/07/2015, 08:46 AM   #106
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M007 View Post
I've got a 6045 in that sump section for some gentle water movement and dropped a couple of orphaned corals on top just top speed the seeding process along. Managed to talk someone into bringing me another 10L of Siporax from Germany so I should be able to top off my little ghetto box in a couple of weeks. Now I'm trying to figure out how to engineer a small Gyre into the mix.
Are you up to 17 liters of siporax now? Are you going to end up building a second basket and pull out some of the live rock in your sump? I know you'll only build up enough bacteria to handle the bio lode of your tank, but if you're pulling out some of that stack of live rock to put in the siporax I can see a major detritus trap going away. I wonder if that'll push your levels so low that you'll need to start dosing to keep detectable levels of nitrate and phosphate in the system. It'll be interesting to track with so many messy fish in the tank.

Unread 10/07/2015, 10:49 AM   #107
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

If I get matrix instead of siporax, I will use these to help detritus move on through.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151006_221525_resized.jpg (50.8 KB, 311 views)

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2015, 12:44 PM   #108
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I bought 1 kg of Siporax (15 mm), which is approximately 3 lt, from my lfs today. It cost me £22, i.e. just slightly over £7 per litre. I am pleased with the price.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070233.jpg (46.1 KB, 193 views)

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2015, 01:22 PM   #109
pstank1
Registered Member

I wish I could find it that cheaply in the states. Hopefully you'll be just as pleased with the results as you were with the price. Keep us updated on the progress.

Unread 10/07/2015, 03:30 PM   #110
M007
Acro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
Are you up to 17 liters of siporax now? Are you going to end up building a second basket and pull out some of the live rock in your sump? I know you'll only build up enough bacteria to handle the bio lode of your tank, but if you're pulling out some of that stack of live rock to put in the siporax I can see a major detritus trap going away. I wonder if that'll push your levels so low that you'll need to start dosing to keep detectable levels of nitrate and phosphate in the system. It'll be interesting to track with so many messy fish in the tank.
I built the box and dumped in the 7L of Siporax. Ended up less than half full So I got someone to order up 10L more for me and will bring it in a couple of weeks. This should fill the box nicely and if I have any left overs I will build another smaller box for the rest. Those pieces of LR are large with lots of space for flow through and one has a huge yellow sponge growing on it. I removed 3 TMP buckets of LR, basically everything in that sump compartment, and shopvac'd it. There was at least a 1/2 inch of sh** under the LR. After the box with Siporax went in only 4 pieces of rock would fit back so I chose the ones with the most interesting life forms. This along with the coral orphans will help seed the Siporax. The rest of the rock went to a friend.

Unread 10/09/2015, 08:04 AM   #111
StarF
Registered Member

just bought a few additionals packs of siporax, can the net they are delived in be used to keep the siporax in the sump?

StarF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2015, 10:22 AM   #112
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Rather than making a big box for my siporax media, I am considering making three small ones and placing them in three different sump sections. By d section.oing that I will be exposing the media to different water flow conditions smoothing out advantages and disadvantages of each

What do you think of this idea?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 10/09/2015, 07:20 PM   #113
M007
Acro Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Rather than making a big box for my siporax media, I am considering making three small ones and placing them in three different sump sections. By d section.oing that I will be exposing the media to different water flow conditions smoothing out advantages and disadvantages of each

Not a bad The smaller box sizes would minimize any unwanted build up and would be easier to maintain. It would also give you more flexibility should you need to add a new piece of equipment. Thanks, I think I will do the same

Unread 10/10/2015, 04:41 AM   #114
SeargentSlice
Registered Member

Quote:

I have 2L of Matrix and 1L of siporax with more on order. I like your Idea and going to run the media the same way.
Thx

Current Tank Info: 150XH SPS, Alpha 170, Lumenbright, 250 Radium / ATI Blue Plus
SeargentSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2015, 08:30 PM   #115
pstank1
Registered Member

Quote:

I don't see any problems with this. It doesn't have to all be packed together in order to make it work. Seems like the logical way to go if you have space constraints.

Unread 10/13/2015, 10:40 PM   #116
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

I have replace all of my rubble with this media. 2 gallons of balls + 1 large block.
IMG_4752 by rich colombo, on Flickr

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2015, 11:08 PM   #117
pstank1
Registered Member

Those balls may get brittle over time. You may not want to keep the block on top of them long term. You have a sock in place, so your balls will stay clean That should probably do the trick. How big is the tank and how much rock do you have in it?

Unread 10/14/2015, 05:29 AM   #118
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
Those balls may get brittle over time. You may not want to keep the block on top of them long term. You have a sock in place, so your balls will stay clean That should probably do the trick. How big is the tank and how much rock do you have in it?
LOL

Thanks for the advice, that makes sense. I'll put the balls on top of the block. They're all elevated on a perforated platform where detritus can fall below. I usually shop vac any detritus that falls with each water change. This system is about 130g total. I used 1 1/3 gallons of balls + 1 large block. The display has 45lbs of tonga.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
Unread 10/14/2015, 05:30 AM   #119
nemodan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson6745 View Post
I have replace all of my rubble with this media. 2 gallons of balls + 1 large block.
IMG_4752 by rich colombo, on Flickr
I think that if you replace the large block with more balls, the surface ratio will be higher, providing more surface for aerobic and anaerobic bacterias to growth.

Just a though, if it is working as is, good enough for me

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2015, 05:38 AM   #120
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

I was originally going to put all balls in there, but hearing that the block denitrifies better. I dunno I think this plenty of surface area compared to the old rubble that was in there.

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 10/14/2015, 06:17 AM   #121
spkennyva
Registered Member

How quickly do you all expect to see results? I added 1 lt of siporax to my 40B over week ago and haven't seen even the slightest tick downward using a salifert NO3 test. Two days ago I added a second liter. I'm hoping that 2 liters of siporax will provide some reduction, right? BTW, my tank has been hovering around 7 ppm for over a year. What would be a realistic expectation of 2L of siporax in a 40B?

spkennyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2015, 07:40 AM   #122
nemodan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
How quickly do you all expect to see results? I added 1 lt of siporax to my 40B over week ago and haven't seen even the slightest tick downward using a salifert NO3 test. Two days ago I added a second liter. I'm hoping that 2 liters of siporax will provide some reduction, right? BTW, my tank has been hovering around 7 ppm for over a year. What would be a realistic expectation of 2L of siporax in a 40B?
For any of these "artificial rocks" you need to provide several weeks (1-2 months) of time for the bacteria to growth and do their job.

Measure all again after a month.

This is biology, no chemicals that binds Phosp. Or nitrates.

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2015, 09:44 AM   #123
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post

This is biology, no chemicals that binds Phosp. Or nitrates.
Is this true?

Consider aluminum-based or ferric oxide-based medium as well as lanthanum chloride (or even calcium hydroxide) that binds phosphates .

Unread 10/14/2015, 10:01 AM   #124
Mael
Registered Member

Just set my Matrix up last night, I had around 1L in a mesh bag in the sump near the main drain, so no way to know the flow but had no detrius build up.

Now I have added that litre and 1 more litre of fresh matrix to a NextReef smr1 I had laying around, hooked up a rio pump that should be pushing around 50gph through the reactor, need to test tonight to be sure.

I am also seeding the matrix by dosing aquavitro seed at the pump intake for the reactor and the bottom half had been in the sump for a month so I am hoping to start seeing results in a month instead of 2 months.

I just need to make sure the 44gph guide for a 4" reactor is based off of inner diameter(since that is what the SMR1 is). Will post when I start seeing results.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2015, 11:29 AM   #125
spkennyva
Registered Member

Quote:
Is this true?

I took what he said to mean that the approach using Siporax utilizes biology and not chemicals to achieve reduced nitrates.

spkennyva is offline   Reply With Quote