Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2016, 09:00 PM   #1
boshk
Registered Member

opinions on this setup

Hi guys

I posted this on the Red Sea section too due to a specific question..

Would like some opinions on this setup, nothing has been purchased yet, stocking are just a thought:

I already have a 33G freshwater in Living room.

This will be my 1st saltwater tank

Reefer Nano (18" 21G in Living room) OR
Reefer 170 ( 24" 34G, which has to go in my study/office/mancave)

Stock=simple...2x Clownfish, 1x Cleaner shrimp...much later down the line anemone...still researching for additions

Lights=Current USA orbit marine 18-24" (via Amazon)

Cover=DIY mesh type....to prevent Clowns from jumping

2x Jebao rw-4 pumps

Digital thermometer

SUMP:
Bubble Magus Curve 5
2x Eheim jager 100W, OR 2x Hydor 100W
Return pump=Eheim 1260 pump OR Sicce Syncra 2 (both rated around 2000L/hr 530g/hr)
Tunze Nano osomolator for the ATO

Red Sea Salt (not Coral pro)
Live sand
Live Rock (maybe its Cured)

thanks
any opinions or suggestions welcome

PS I live in Hong Kong so a lot of the stuff you guys have access to I don't.
I can't even get access to Dry Rock and Instant Ocean's Bio-Spira or Dr Tim's One and Only.

4 reef shops, all of them only stock Cured Rock (it might even be uncured Live @US$5/lb

Thoughts are later on down the track:
-I may need a chiller since HK gets to 34C (93F) in summer.....
-May change the ATO reservoir to a Refugium IF I find I need a bigger ATO tank
-

boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 04:40 AM   #2
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

The only thing I suggest is that you get better lighting if you plan on having corals at anytime. Those lights will at best work for soft corals but will not be sufficient for anemones, LPS or SPS corals. It's cheaper to get the correct light now rather than buying this one and then having to purchase the better light later. If you're on a budget the Chinese have the 165w Full spectrum for about $85 American. You should look into them.

It gets to 93 in your house in the summer??

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 05:24 PM   #3
boshk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
The only thing I suggest is that you get better lighting if you plan on having corals at anytime. Those lights will at best work for soft corals but will not be sufficient for anemones, LPS or SPS corals. It's cheaper to get the correct light now rather than buying this one and then having to purchase the better light later. If you're on a budget the Chinese have the 165w Full spectrum for about $85 American. You should look into them.

It gets to 93 in your house in the summer??
okay, I'll have another look at the lights.

outside gets to 93F, indoors not quite sure but I don't leave my air-conditioning on when I am out.

boshk is offline   Reply With Quote