Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2016, 11:55 AM   #126
Omie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6sigma View Post
sorry to hear that...

thats weird...i gave up our yellow tail damsel to a better home (hopefully), (a fish store) so that we can add some peaceful fish. it was very sad. wife still mad at me. but i assured her it was best for it and for our current fish and future.

these little guys truly are pets....

It's true, they are like pets...
I told the story at my LFS and when I mention that one of the eye was swollen, they told me that an infection may kill it.

Well, I order another one. I hope he will bring some fun to the tank!

Unread 01/24/2016, 11:56 AM   #127
Omie
Registered Member

I was looking for info about my clam and lots of people told me to put it on a rock. I hope she will like her new spot!

photo IMG_2797.jpg

Unread 02/03/2016, 11:33 PM   #128
champion6sigma
Registered Member

Awesome clam!

Hey I got myself a frag rack for the tank! And two starter polyps. A pink zipper and a cornbread rockstar.

I'm hoping to take pics soon. I've got reef roids food for coral.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2538593
champion6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2016, 05:27 AM   #129
FISHUNT-72
Registered Member

Omie, I'll be heading over to Orlando for my daughter's swim meet next weekend. Can you recommend a few fish stores worth visiting. I've been to WWC, but interested in visiting a few others while in town. You have a great tank & pics by the way. I've been following along. Thank you.

FISHUNT-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 05:33 PM   #130
Omie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHUNT-72 View Post
Omie, I'll be heading over to Orlando for my daughter's swim meet next weekend. Can you recommend a few fish stores worth visiting. I've been to WWC, but interested in visiting a few others while in town. You have a great tank & pics by the way. I've been following along. Thank you.
Thanks!!!
I like to go to Reefer's Direct in St. Cloud. The people there are awesome and you always found good deals. It's my prefer store and it is close to my house. The other one is Sea in the City. I think it's located in Orlando. Was one in Alafaya Trl. that the name was Aquaria Studio, but I think they change names and owners. Other is Top Shelf Aquatics, in Orlando. That one is close to Sea in the City.
Hope this ones will be close to you!
Keep me posted!

Unread 02/05/2016, 05:34 PM   #131
Omie
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome clam!

Hey I got myself a frag rack for the tank! And two starter polyps. A pink zipper and a cornbread rockstar.

I'm hoping to take pics soon. I've got reef roids food for coral.
Pics!!! Show them all!!!

Unread 02/06/2016, 06:31 AM   #132
FISHUNT-72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omie View Post
Thanks!!!
I like to go to Reefer's Direct in St. Cloud. The people there are awesome and you always found good deals. It's my prefer store and it is close to my house. The other one is Sea in the City. I think it's located in Orlando. Was one in Alafaya Trl. that the name was Aquaria Studio, but I think they change names and owners. Other is Top Shelf Aquatics, in Orlando. That one is close to Sea in the City.
Hope this ones will be close to you!
Keep me posted!
Awesome. I made a list. Now I'll get on Google Maps & figure out an attack plan to hit all the stores in a day. The only bad thing is my cube is bone dry at the moment,so I can only browse. At least I'll know where to go when I'm ready for livestock. I don't live too far from Orlando. Thanks again for the info!!!

FISHUNT-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2016, 07:47 AM   #133
Omie
Registered Member

I'm back, but with lots of bad news!

The past month has been hell for my tank and myself! The colors were doing good and then they started turning brown. The PE decreased and the growth became slower. All my parameters were stable and consistent.

My yellow tang started to have something like seizures. I thought it died, but after 15mins he started to swim again. Few days later my cleaner shrimp disappeared. I had it for a long time and didn't have any problems at all. Then my favorite fish, the starry blenny, died. He was so healthy and happy! When I found him he was swollen and one of his eyes had popped out. Around the same week my fire shrimp disappeared too. I was so upset and frustrated bc I wasn't doing drastic changes to the tank and I normally don't put stress on my fish.

One day, trying to find out the problem of my crash, I found that the ph dropped to 7.4 from 7.9 (my normal ph). I opened the windows and did all I could for the tank to get back the O2 needed. It went up to 8!!! Weird!!! I closed the windows and in less than a hour the ph dropped drastically to 7.6.

The next day, I went to my LFS and bought the Zeovit balance, a ph buffer. I started dosing my tank and at the same time figuring out the problem. I blame not having enough O2 bc it is cold and the a/c was turned off and the house is lacking air movement. Every time I was off work I opened the windows to bring the ph up as much as I could. I was dosing the tank A LOT anyways to keep the ph in control. It was strange because years before I never had this situation, but I couldn't found the problem behind all this.

One day I was off from work, and I was having my breakfast. While I was eating I was looking at the tank and saw my clownfish not swimming normally. I grabbed a stick that I made and move him around and he started to swim normally again. Not even 1 min and he did the same thing. I move him again and everything went back to "normal" until the female started to do the same thing!!! Ooohhh sh&$!! My yellow tang started to swim really fast with seizures. My blue tang was doing the same thing and my clowns swimming slow.

Not knowing what to do I started to move my fish side to side and then I smell something burning. My first thought was the thermostat. I tried to turn it off from my surge protector and it wasn't responding. I unplugged it and this is what I found...

photo F3EFD45B-B352-4CEB-AF92-35BD9B2003E2.jpg

My thermostat exploded and it was electrocuting my fish. After I removed the broken glass and the residual of the thermostat from the tank the clowns started to swim better, but my 2 tangs were laying on the sand breathing heavily. I did a water change right away and spent over two hrs trying to make my tangs swim again.

I went to the store and bought an expensive thermostat that doesn't break and went back to the house and did another water change. 7hrs after the incident, the tangs were swimming. All corals were fine, but some of them started to turn white bc of stress with the w/c. The next day my yellow tang died. He looked almost the same way as my starry Blenny. It's frustrating, but it could be worse.

Right now I'm on vacation, hoping that the tank is stable. My mother-in-law is taking care of it and so far so good! My ph stays over 8 and the fish are happy.

***I need some answers!!!***
A broken/cracked thermostat that is transporting electricity in to the tank can decrease the ph of the water??? After I removed it, my ph has been over 8 and I'm not dosing anything at all, (as far as balance).

Unread 03/01/2016, 12:47 PM   #134
champion6sigma
Registered Member

Just read the news> sorry to hear that man. That sucks about the heater. The fish.

be careful with the buffer. I found out the hard way i was killing my fish and coral by using that. By increasing ph with a buffer it spikes the alkalinity to killer levels. on my threads the people there told me not to use it. Water changes are my best friend.

As far as heater, I use the titanium finnex i believe. They just made an even better one with guards all around the titanium to protect from stuff laying on it...

The titanium is a champ.

I dont know much about electricity or engineering or chem to help with your other questions....just my own experience with the ph buffer, which i thought was safe. and it never kept my ph level at the higher levels after dosing because all my other parameters were off. sk8ter and others told me to balance out other variables and that ph would follow eventually....but not to worry about mine. Mines in the 7's now.

I did what you did, used the ph buffer a lot. My alk is still high after doing almost a full tank of water changes over the course of a few weeks after losing my two clowns.

Unread 03/01/2016, 05:14 PM   #135
Omie
Registered Member

Hi Champion6sigma,

Yeah man, it sucks, but I'm glad that it's doing well again. About the buffer, they have 2 different ones. My LFS told me that the one called balance by Zeovit won't raise the alk. But It did raise it. I don't think it was a lot, but it did. I put over a bottle in a week and from my steady 8 dKh it went up to 11dKh. I was testing constantly, making sure that none of the parameters would spike and make things worse. I had a lot of problems in a small period of time and the best way to prevent more damage was by testing.

To make sure that nothing would go wrong, with me being out on vacation, I bought the Cobalt Neo-Therm 200w heater. Supposedly it doesn't break and I hope so, bc it was very expensive! I added a ground to the water, that way if electricity gets in the water it will shut down everything. The ground only cost me like $12. I think it is the best thing you can do for the safety of the fish and yours too.

This weekend I will post some new corals that I bought. I went to Tampa, FL, where they had the Florida Frag Swap. Cool stuff there and nice prices too. Will keep you posted!!!

Unread 03/01/2016, 05:58 PM   #136
champion6sigma
Registered Member

Good thing u had tests. I just finished my first set of tests today from the salifert test kits I got in last week. Great tests. That neotherm looks awesome

Unread 03/01/2016, 06:46 PM   #137
Omie
Registered Member

Salifert test kits are my favorite. Little by little I have been buying the hanna checkers. It has good reviews and they are pretty accurate.

Unread 03/01/2016, 10:07 PM   #138
champion6sigma
Registered Member

I will need to maybe ground tank like u did. My alkalinity is 12.96 still working on getting it down

Unread 03/02/2016, 11:08 AM   #139
Omie
Registered Member

That's the best thing you can do and it's very cheap! Thank God that I was in my house at that moment. I wouldn't imagine me not been there at that moment. It's really the best $12 you can spend for everybody's safety!

Unread 03/02/2016, 11:54 AM   #140
RonMc
Registered Member

Omie
Just finished reading your thread and wanted to Thank-You for having names to the pictures you are posting.
It comes in very handy and will help me with my tank life choices.
Congrats on your child, great pictures, sorry about the heater, nice camera, sorry about your favorite fish. That should almost cover it.

RonMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 12:49 PM   #141
Omie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMc View Post
Omie
Just finished reading your thread and wanted to Thank-You for having names to the pictures you are posting.
It comes in very handy and will help me with my tank life choices.
Congrats on your child, great pictures, sorry about the heater, nice camera, sorry about your favorite fish. That should almost cover it.
I want to thank you for reading my thread and being part of my journey. In this hobby, we need to expect that good and bad things will happen. Hopefully more good than bad, and learn to avoid the bad ones. Sometimes I find out things the hard way, but others I learned reading threads on here and listening to advice from our fellows reefers.

I'm glad that I helped you with names. I love when people do the same thing, bc it is easier to look for them in a LFS. I'll keep posting more. I'm on vacation, but I left some corals acclimating and as soon I get home I'll post more.

Unread 03/02/2016, 03:07 PM   #142
roberthu526
Registered Member

I am not sure if this answers your question but have electricity in your saltwater does change the chemistry: basically most ion can be electrolyzed and water will be converted into H2 and O2. If you look at the wires that were exposed in your saltwater you should be able to see some thick residuals covering the metal wire.

Sorry for your loss. I switched to all metal heaters a while ago and will never go back to glass. Metal heaters are not perfect but they have less chance to explode ad electrocute the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omie View Post
I'm back, but with lots of bad news!

The past month has been hell for my tank and myself! The colors were doing good and then they started turning brown. The PE decreased and the growth became slower. All my parameters were stable and consistent.

My yellow tang started to have something like seizures. I thought it died, but after 15mins he started to swim again. Few days later my cleaner shrimp disappeared. I had it for a long time and didn't have any problems at all. Then my favorite fish, the starry blenny, died. He was so healthy and happy! When I found him he was swollen and one of his eyes had popped out. Around the same week my fire shrimp disappeared too. I was so upset and frustrated bc I wasn't doing drastic changes to the tank and I normally don't put stress on my fish.

One day, trying to find out the problem of my crash, I found that the ph dropped to 7.4 from 7.9 (my normal ph). I opened the windows and did all I could for the tank to get back the O2 needed. It went up to 8!!! Weird!!! I closed the windows and in less than a hour the ph dropped drastically to 7.6.

The next day, I went to my LFS and bought the Zeovit balance, a ph buffer. I started dosing my tank and at the same time figuring out the problem. I blame not having enough O2 bc it is cold and the a/c was turned off and the house is lacking air movement. Every time I was off work I opened the windows to bring the ph up as much as I could. I was dosing the tank A LOT anyways to keep the ph in control. It was strange because years before I never had this situation, but I couldn't found the problem behind all this.

One day I was off from work, and I was having my breakfast. While I was eating I was looking at the tank and saw my clownfish not swimming normally. I grabbed a stick that I made and move him around and he started to swim normally again. Not even 1 min and he did the same thing. I move him again and everything went back to "normal" until the female started to do the same thing!!! Ooohhh sh&$!! My yellow tang started to swim really fast with seizures. My blue tang was doing the same thing and my clowns swimming slow.

Not knowing what to do I started to move my fish side to side and then I smell something burning. My first thought was the thermostat. I tried to turn it off from my surge protector and it wasn't responding. I unplugged it and this is what I found...

photo F3EFD45B-B352-4CEB-AF92-35BD9B2003E2.jpg

My thermostat exploded and it was electrocuting my fish. After I removed the broken glass and the residual of the thermostat from the tank the clowns started to swim better, but my 2 tangs were laying on the sand breathing heavily. I did a water change right away and spent over two hrs trying to make my tangs swim again.

I went to the store and bought an expensive thermostat that doesn't break and went back to the house and did another water change. 7hrs after the incident, the tangs were swimming. All corals were fine, but some of them started to turn white bc of stress with the w/c. The next day my yellow tang died. He looked almost the same way as my starry Blenny. It's frustrating, but it could be worse.

Right now I'm on vacation, hoping that the tank is stable. My mother-in-law is taking care of it and so far so good! My ph stays over 8 and the fish are happy.

***I need some answers!!!***
A broken/cracked thermostat that is transporting electricity in to the tank can decrease the ph of the water??? After I removed it, my ph has been over 8 and I'm not dosing anything at all, (as far as balance).

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 08:16 PM   #143
champion6sigma
Registered Member

Seems like the thread is not showing latest comment. Weird. Doesn't refresh

Unread 03/02/2016, 08:59 PM   #144
Omie
Registered Member

I know! Maybe tmw will show up

Unread 03/10/2016, 11:25 PM   #145
champion6sigma
Registered Member

How's the tank doing lately?

Unread 06/29/2016, 06:41 PM   #146
Omie
Registered Member

Quote:
How's the tank doing lately?
Sorry for the late response. Im working a lot and didn't have time to take pics of my tank. So far my tank is doing great. No more mayor issues and all growing and coloring as expected. This are some pics of them.

Bonsai
 photo IMG_3114.jpg

photo IMG_3118.jpg

Top shot
 photo IMG_3153.jpg

Unread 06/29/2016, 06:42 PM   #147
Omie
Registered Member

photo IMG_3143.jpg

Unread 06/29/2016, 06:46 PM   #148
Omie
Registered Member

Acan garden
I have blue w/ red, pink, orange, red, green, and rainbow
 photo IMG_3139.jpg

Also, my Zoa garden in the back.
Blue hornets, sunny D, Rastas, nuclear, cars, utter chaos, Oompa Loompa...
 photo IMG_3140.jpg

Unread 06/30/2016, 02:56 PM   #149
Omie
Registered Member

Red Dragon
 photo IMG_3150.jpg

Unread 07/02/2016, 05:51 AM   #150
Omie
Registered Member

Candlelight
 photo IMG_3122.jpg