Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2016, 03:05 PM   #1
phantomg
Registered Member

Filtering Decision

Hi, I'm going to make a predator tank, 55 gall. I had a sump on it at one time but I won't have room for a sump where I am putting it now. Does anyone have any recommendations on a filter for this tank. There will be a few rocks and just a very few fish. One LFS told me all I would need is a protein skimmer to take care of the filtering needs.

phantomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2016, 08:28 PM   #2
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

A canister filter with carbon would keep it looking good.

Bogue Chitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 05:29 AM   #3
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I would add a HOB skimmer and a HOB filter system along with whatever size powerhead you need for circulation. The canister filters are bad nitrate traps and you will have to tear them down and clean no less than once a week to clean them.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Sapelo
Registered Member

Most of us who have used canister filters would not go back to them as they do make for extra work.
Protein skimmers are very useful which is why so many of us use them.
I can personally vouch for the Reef Octopus HOB skimmer.
Having said that, now that my skimmer is in my sump I will NEVER go back.
It may not be possible, but you're going to want to think very carefully about your options before you proceed.
Very little rock means you'll have to work extra to provide the filtration even a lightly stocked tank will require.
Dkulmann is right, you're gonna need HOB everything

Sapelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Reef_junkie91
Registered Member

Caster filters are nitrate factories hang on back protein skimmers are usually inefficient but better than a canister

Reef_junkie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 10:33 AM   #6
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

HOB skimmers are not inefficient, I've also got one, the BakPak2 and it rocks for my system. I've got a 40b with a 20 gal sump.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 01:42 PM   #7
cloak
Moved On

Being that you will have some rocks in the tank and I'm assuming some sort of substrate, I would just get yourself one of the Aquaclear HOB filters and call it a day. Throw a couple foam pads in there and perhaps some GAC and just rinse these things out in a bucket of saltwater every couple weeks or so to preserve the bacteria on/within them. Also, when your doing your water changes don't be afraid to stir up the sand bed and blast the rocks with a power head every now & then as well. Removing all this muck will be key in the long run.
Keeping a happy healthy reef tank doesn't have to be so complicated sometimes, much or less a predator tank such as this. KISS, GL.

http://www.aquacave.com/hagen-aquacl...er-filter.html

Last edited by cloak; 02/06/2016 at 02:09 PM.
cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 01:57 PM   #8
brianr24
Registered Member

I would run two aquaclear 110 's with the sponges , matrix, and some chemipure elite. That's what I do. I have a light bio load but I have zero absolute zero nitrates. And as for them sponges that are so called nitrate traps. I hardly ever clean them. Maybe once every three or four months. If that I have left them even longer. I have a 110 and a 70 just cuz my 30 g hasn't enough room. But for the cost better to go with 110's even though it's overkill.they have lots of room in them for media.

brianr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 08:09 PM   #9
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

I have to disagree. I have used canister filters all my fish keeping life and have never had a problem with them. I clean them out about once a month and my water stays sparkling clear. Why would there be so many of them on the market if they were so bad. Some people just don't want to have to take a few minutes out of their time to do maintenance on them. I have no nitrates on my reef tank and everything is looking good so far.

Unread 02/06/2016, 11:13 PM   #10
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogue Chitto View Post
I have to disagree. I have used canister filters all my fish keeping life and have never had a problem with them. I clean them out about once a month and my water stays sparkling clear. Why would there be so many of them on the market if they were so bad. Some people just don't want to have to take a few minutes out of their time to do maintenance on them. I have no nitrates on my reef tank and everything is looking good so far.
When I first started this hobby I tried canisters.... Never had good results. 5 years later and I am now convinced that every marine tank should have a sump... I'm sure you could run one with canisters but man those things are a pain in the a***

dustinkimpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 12:17 PM   #11
cloak
Moved On

Canister filters are fine, (in the right hands of course) but like mentioned above they can be a real PITA sometimes. Those Aquaclear HOB filters are just so much easier to maintain IME.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 12:33 PM   #12
Pigpen17
Registered Member

I can vouch for the Aquaclear HOB. I love they way the media stacks instead of vertical pouches like most others. Easy to clean as well. Also I have an Aquamaxx-1 HOB skimmer and I love it.

56g Column |Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer |Reef Breeders Photon 24 LED |850gph Koralia (X2) | Maxspect Gyre XF130
Pigpen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 07:53 PM   #13
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I wholly believe in having a sump for most of my tanks but I use canisters for extra filtration.

Unread 02/08/2016, 09:44 AM   #14
phantomg
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Some good advice. I have a larger tank with a sump and of course it is ime the best option but not one available right now.

Unread 02/08/2016, 09:59 AM   #15
CStrickland
Registered Member

A lot of the issues with canisters and other mechanical filtration is the way they elevate nitrates. That's why they need careful cleaning. Predator tanks tend to run high in nitrates anyway cause they are such big messy eaters. Coral tanks need lower nitrates, so predator + reef = a tricky balance.

If you go fowlr predator then you don't have to worry much about nitrates, you can run any kind of filter you want. A lot of the advice about filtration assumes you'll want low nitrates for coral.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 10:03 AM   #16
phantomg
Registered Member

I have another tank, like I mentioned, and I have coral in that one. In this one, I'm just planning on sand, rock and a few fish so my initial thinking was that my filtering needs would not be as great as in my other tank. I really don't plan on having more than 3 or 4 fish in this tank.

Unread 02/08/2016, 05:39 PM   #17
newbie2014
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen17 View Post
I can vouch for the Aquaclear HOB. I love they way the media stacks instead of vertical pouches like most others. Easy to clean as well. Also I have an Aquamaxx-1 HOB skimmer and I love it.
I also have Aquamaxx-1 on a 40B. Very quiet and collects lots of skimmate. I just hate how it spits out lots of mini bubbles into the tank after each cleaning. This is a big reason why I'm contemplating on how to add a sump to my setup.

I also have an AC 110 on the same tank. Very powerful, but can be noisy at times. The noise comes from the motor and vibrations. The splashing noise of the falling water can also be annoying. Therefore, I have to maintain consistent water level. I would have preferred a canister over any HOB filter. As long as you keep up with maintenance, the canister would be a lot more efficient and QUIET. I miss my Fluval 306.

newbie2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 08:17 PM   #18
Pigpen17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2014 View Post
I also have Aquamaxx-1 on a 40B. Very quiet and collects lots of skimmate. I just hate how it spits out lots of mini bubbles into the tank after each cleaning. This is a big reason why I'm contemplating on how to add a sump to my setup.

I also have an AC 110 on the same tank. Very powerful, but can be noisy at times. The noise comes from the motor and vibrations. The splashing noise of the falling water can also be annoying. Therefore, I have to maintain consistent water level. I would have preferred a canister over any HOB filter. As long as you keep up with maintenance, the canister would be a lot more efficient and QUIET. I miss my Fluval 306.
Did you buy the bubble trap for the HOB-1? I added it after a few months and zero bubbles. Plus I love the look of it.

56g Column |Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer |Reef Breeders Photon 24 LED |850gph Koralia (X2) | Maxspect Gyre XF130
Pigpen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 08:14 AM   #19
newbie2014
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen17 View Post
Did you buy the bubble trap for the HOB-1? I added it after a few months and zero bubbles. Plus I love the look of it.

No I didn't. I do attach a small tray full of filter floss to the outlet for the first 24hrs or so after I clean the skimmer. I may have to look into that bubble trap thingy.

Thanks for the tips.

newbie2014 is offline   Reply With Quote