Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2015, 05:04 PM   #1
RoTTen2TheCore
Registered Member

Breaking airplane laws? I don't want to.

Anyone familiar with bringing live animals on planes? I will be visiting California at the end of the month and I want to bring back a maximal and/or ultra clam back to Canada with me. It's hard to find them around here since they now require special permits to import.

Can I bring them on the plane? What permits do I need? How can I get the permits?
Also, what are a few must see LFS and aquariums in California?

RoTTen2TheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 05:33 PM   #2
GT350pwns
Registered Member

I'm not sure from first hand experience, but I've read that it's near impossible for the average Joe to do. Involves permits on the LFS's part in BOTH countries. Better to just see about one north of the border

GT350pwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 10:57 PM   #3
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

The bigger issue is the FINE and the Jail Time.

You are breaking so many invasive species laws that you will spend to much time/money trying to get your self out of trouble. While it may not be invasive, the customs person will not care and it will be dead by the time you get it sorted out.

Have you LFS or whole seller worry about the permits.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 10:59 PM   #4
sean357
Registered Member

The plane isn't the problem, customs is. I travel to Canada quite a lot and they always ask about animal and plant matter. You could lie (I've never been searched so you may get away with it), but if you do get searched they are going to hold it and it will inevitably die. Not worth it in my opinion.

sean357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Khemul
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTTen2TheCore View Post
It's hard to find them around here since they now require special permits to import.
Basically you need those special permits.

Otherwise this falls under smuggling. Which can be a bad idea, depending on how seriously the customs agents take their jobs.

Khemul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Owensue
Registered Member

Maxima clams are available around the GTA, not sure your location so that may or may not help.

Owensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 11:14 PM   #7
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemul View Post
Basically you need those special permits.

Otherwise this falls under smuggling. Which can be a bad idea, depending on how seriously the customs agents take their jobs.
This. Especially the last part.

Customs agents have sucky days at work just like the rest of us. You want to roll the dice on that? I sure wouldn't.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 11:27 PM   #8
Fish Biscuit
Registered Member

You're going to need a Cites permit & an FWS export clearance to get it out of the US, the average LFS isn't going to be able to get it done & in the long run it's going to cost you what you could spend on 5 clams or more. Then you get to do it all over again in Canada for the importation. Find someone in Canada to buy one from.

If they catch you smuggling expect your clam to be seized, a giant fine, & possible jail time in addition to missing your flight home.

Customs agents at the Intl terminal like to let their power go to their heads more so than those handling clearances in the office.

I enjoy vodka entirely too much to share with the fish.

Current Tank Info: 65 rimless with Eshopps R200 sump, current inhabitants randall goby, helfrichi, possum wrasse, barnacle blenny, mandarin, pistol, peppermint, & fire shrimp, snails, hermits, & LPS
Fish Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 11:45 PM   #9
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member

If it were me, I'd wrap it in a condom and swallow it. But that's just me.
You should call the airline and ask. They will let you know the permits etc, so you can decide for yourself if it's possible. You may also find a clam you like at a store tha will ship to Canada.
As for places to visit, I like the Monteray Bay Aquarium. If you are down in southern Cal, I would recommend La Jolla. It's got the most tide pools I ever saw.

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 12:17 AM   #10
Barney97
Registered Member

I believe that you should be able to bring in a clam from my barely literate law reading ability. Looking at the the Health of Animals Regulations http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...296/index.html
It seems as if there is a personal use exemption

"Aquatic Animals for Personal Use
193. (1) Despite section 191, an aquatic animal listed in Schedule III may be imported without a permit if
(a) the aquatic animal is imported by a person for his or her personal use;
(b) the person brings the aquatic animal into Canada or picks it up at the point of entry into Canada; and
(c) the person presents, to the inspector, proof of his or her identity and proof of the manner in which he or she acquired the aquatic animal.
(2) The quantity of aquatic animals that may be imported under subsection (1) shall not exceed
(a) four crustaceans;
(b) three kilograms of molluscs; and
(c) ten finfish that are not eviscerated.
SOR/2010-296, s. 4."

There is also this
"Aquatic Animals not Listed in Schedule III

194. No person shall import an aquatic animal that is not listed in Schedule III unless it is accompanied by a document that is satisfactory to an inspector and that includes the following information:
(a) the name and address of the exporter;
(b) the name and address of the importer;
(c) the taxonomic name of the aquatic animal, the life stage, and the number being imported, if more than one; and
(d) the country in which the aquatic animal was born or where the germplasm came from and, in the case of an aquatic animal, whether it was born in captivity or in the wild."

I would of course verify this information and see how it applies to your specific situation. It looks like it is covered by the Canadian food inspection agency so I would give them a call and see what they have to say

Current Tank Info: 60 gal tank
Barney97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 07:52 AM   #11
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Nice find on that!

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote