Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2019, 10:36 AM   #1
knhassan
Registered Member

Feed or not to feed the Softies including Zoas

Curious to find out if people have noticed difference when they start to feed the softies and what they fed?

Some people I came across see no value others swear by it to accelerate the growth and colors by feeding.

Please share your experience to help me decide.

Thanks,

Unread 08/14/2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Alex114
Registered Member

I feed a green hairy mushroom and a metallic green torch some frozen mysis shrimp about twice a week. I have two mushrooms but it’s hard to consistently feed one due to location. I had bought a single mushroom and it split on its own. The one I feed is about 2-3 times the size than the other. I doubt that size difference is 100% due to feeding but it certainly helps. The torch is fairly new but it has reacted well to the feedings and looks healthy. If anything it’s fun to see the corals react to being fed

Alex114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 02:30 PM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I feed everything that has large polyps or a mouth daily softy or hard coral, or every other day depending on how busy my day is.
I have noticed that my Ricordea mushroom has tripled in size from feeding, i know this because it went several months in my other all softy tank unfed & while it survived just fine it exhibited no growth, once i started feeding every other day in the DT i moved it to it started growing quickly. It has 2 mouths another reason im pushing the feedings, so im hoping it will divide on its own soon this yr.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Target Feed all who display a feeding response, the rest will pick up what floats by.

I support feedings, do they need it to survive, no, but no question in my mind certainly at least faster polyp growth.

Provide different sizes of foods, phyto, zoo, reef chilli, roids, Mysis....etc...I feed once every second day and twice a week I add amino acids....

Just make sure your nutrients remain stable, or back off a bit.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 07:39 AM   #5
boombox3
Registered Member

I do not feed softies and they still thrive. I would feed zoas, lps though

boombox3 is offline   Reply With Quote