Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2019, 12:22 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

how do I treat sick perc with sulfa forte and formalin

Hi,

My per I just found is sick. Attached is a pic. I just ordered the above medicines. I hope they arrive soon.
**What is the treatment protocol? I will have to set up a makeshift hospital tank or bucket worst case scenerio. I may be able to quickly set up a 7 gallon mini tank with sponge if I can find the sponge filter.
*Ignore the dying ritteri they are in. I received that one damaged last week.

Edit: she has gills which do not lie 'flat' against her head, seems to be inflamed there.

TY!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg percs2.jpg (88.2 KB, 15 views)
CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 01:34 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The Septra (Forte) dosage I was given by a vet is one tablet per 50 liters (~13 gallons).
But I also dose one tablet if I treat in a 10-gallon tank (~37 liters) and the fish never showed any signs of an overdose.

If you plan on treating in a 7-gallon (~26 liter) tank, half a tablet would match the recommended dose above (tablet cutters can be found at CVS, Walgreen's,...)
Note that this doseage is way higher than what the dosing instructions on the bottle say, but that's what always worked for me.

Septra may not kill Brooklynella, so you will likely have to give the fish also short bath treatments with either formalin or hydrogen peroxide.

In a case like this, where the fish's gills are already seriously affected by the infection, hydrogen peroxide may be the better solution as formalin reduces oxygen.
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is also way easier to find (pharmacy or even supermarket). I never used it myself but HumbleFish posted instructions in the Fish Diseases sub-forum here.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 11:48 AM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
The Septra (Forte) dosage I was given by a vet is one tablet per 50 liters (~13 gallons).
But I also dose one tablet if I treat in a 10-gallon tank (~37 liters) and the fish never showed any signs of an overdose.

If you plan on treating in a 7-gallon (~26 liter) tank, half a tablet would match the recommended dose above (tablet cutters can be found at CVS, Walgreen's,...)
Note that this doseage is way higher than what the dosing instructions on the bottle say, but that's what always worked for me.

Septra may not kill Brooklynella, so you will likely have to give the fish also short bath treatments with either formalin or hydrogen peroxide.

In a case like this, where the fish's gills are already seriously affected by the infection, hydrogen peroxide may be the better solution as formalin reduces oxygen.
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is also way easier to find (pharmacy or even supermarket). I never used it myself but HumbleFish posted instructions in the Fish Diseases sub-forum here.
Thank you so much!.. BUT she's already gone!. At least I'll have what I need for the future. She wasn't THAT sick looking. Really what looked bad though were the inflamed gills. There is a weird mass coming out of the ritteri (which is also dying). I think it must have eaten her body and expelling it.

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 12:03 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. It's always best to have all the essentials at hand before buying wild anemonefish since the progression of these infections can be extremely fast - in some cases you may just have hours to get the treatment going.

As for the anemone - that one is in desperate need of a Cipro treatment. I don't think it is beyond rescue, but you would need to start treatment asap. Ideally you would have started treatment when it first deflated.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/23/2019, 01:06 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

BTW, you should still treat the male as he most likely got infected as well.