Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2014, 03:06 PM   #1
thompson2224
Registered Member

Pink Acropora coral

Im thinking of getting a Pink Acropora coral colony to add to my 20 gallon tank. I have kept mostly LPS corals in the past. So my question is is this a hard to take care of coral? My lighting in a fluval marine and reef capable LED that has brightness of 25000K. All my corals are doing great right now. Will I have to do anything different with this coral?

thompson2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2014, 03:13 PM   #2
ReeferBill
Registered Member

I would start out with the following beginner sps , montipora caps, birds nests, pocillapora,and stylophora. These are easy sPs corals to stArt out with and if they do well then try the acros....

Unread 02/12/2014, 03:21 PM   #3
thompson2224
Registered Member

What makes acros harder?

Unread 02/12/2014, 04:06 PM   #4
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Acros are more challenging because they are more sensitive to changes that occur in a reef tank. They will usually require more flow, stronger lighting, and super stable water parameters. Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium have to be in their correct proportions to keep Acros happy. Elevated phosphates can brown out an acro, so keeping PO4 in check is very important. If you succeed in keeping them alive and colorful, great! There is however another important detail I should mention, the importance of dipping acros prior to adding them to the display tank.

You will have to be strict on your dipping procedure to make sure you're not introducing unwanted pests such as red bugs and acro eating flatworms. The AEFW are a nightmare to say the least. Putting newly treated Acros in quarantine is the safest way to prevent pest problems. Unfortunately, not every reefer has the space to have another tank so dipping and carefully inspecting the coral is the next best thing.

As ReeferBill suggested, those are the least finicky SPS you can try. There is also Green Slimer acro and Montipora Digitata. Try out one of those SPS first and see how they do in your tank. I have no experience with that light so you may want to try a piece from the least light demanding SPS selection.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2014, 04:08 PM   #5
thompson2224
Registered Member

Okay thanks! Is my lighting okay to keep SPS?

Unread 02/12/2014, 05:01 PM   #6
thompson2224
Registered Member

Is it harder then an anemone because I have a rosebud one