Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2020, 08:53 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

nano stream 6040 fish protector?

Roger,
What can i put on the large opening of the pump to prevent a fish from being injured by the impeller? I know it flickers, but it may still be dangerous since the opening is easy for a fish to inadvertently get into.

I ask because one of my really prized orange spot filefish all of a sudden was found dead in my tank. It wasnt ill at all. I have two, both of them very healthy and eating varied foods (I figured out how to feed these two).
The only other thing it could be is the arrow crab with tiny claws or my small hermits. I dont have any hermits larger than 2/3 of ". The only likely suspect is the pump porpeller, somehow he may have poked into it.

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2020, 08:39 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would think it is unlikely to harm a fish of that size. You can use the 6080.200 protective grid, but this eliminates the ability to use the flow deflector. You could also add for example some tank top screen, just keep in mind the flow of this pump is the maximum possible and any added restriction is going to reduce the flow.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2020, 05:31 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

TY rog!
You're right it's probalby not the pump but I want to remove that as a variable. And I wish I knew 100% what led to it dying. Esp since it was an orange spot file :-D .
***I will probably get that screen for both pumps. *I'm thinking that I can superglue the deflector back on the screen. It may end up with reduced flow maybe 25% from the distance from the out put to the raised level of the deflector, but I dont mind that.
What do you think about that?
TTYY

Unread 04/03/2020, 07:37 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would use something like model cement or PVC/ABS cement, that would essentially melt the plastics together and after it sets up it should be permanent, glue the grid to the deflector.

My own experience with fish that are at the limits of our knowledge and capability such as my couple tries with Moorish Idols, is unfortunately this is not unusual and you may never have a solid answer. It could be intestinal parasites, stress, not meeting some not understood dietary need. I have had such fish live for a few months with no obvious issues and then just suddenly die and such experiences are not uncommon. I know Tony at Reef Exotics has a couple of them and it seems the key from seeing some discussion about them with Joe Yaiullo is having colonies of Acropora millepora you can rotate in for feeding them as well as getting them trained on some sort of alternative, but I gather they still need the acropora for longer term success.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 04/03/2020, 11:59 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

I'll get the cement. I've had the Osffs for a year now, not just a few months. I'm sure what you said is possible as far as parasites etc

**I just ordered the strainer. TY Roger!

Unread 04/09/2020, 08:00 PM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hi Roger
I thought I ordered 2 of those protectors. Does tunze send a confirmation email if ordered? I dont see one. If ordered, would the charge have 'tunze' in the charge/name, etc?

Oh, I think the actual culprit was a large hermit.. I found one walking around. he's not in the tank anymore. So I probably dont need the pump shields, but at least I can rule them out in case I need to in future

TY roger, stay safe

Unread 04/10/2020, 06:45 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Hi Lance, we mailed your order on Monday from Austin, TX, tracking shows you will get it on Monday. My apologies, it is just me and two employees and we actually rotate now so only one of us is here at a time, my shift is basically before the sun is up and then I work from home. Generally though on Tunze.com orders, we only make further contact if a part is backordered or we cannot ship in a timely manner, otherwise, they just get done.