Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/24/2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Fliger
Registered Member

You think you're electric bill was high?

Man its gettin bad in California. Buy real estate, we might see another flood of Californians coming .....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

I am hovering about $300-$325 so far this summer which really isn't bad considering.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 07:14 PM   #2
vanmle
Moved On

Mine is about that. Luckily, haven't gone up much since I got my tank.

Van.

vanmle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 07:36 PM   #3
random_ryan
Registered Member

I pay $400 a month mine has gone up quite abit

Current Tank Info: NO TANKS. :o( .... Taking A Break.
random_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Freed
It's what it's

So I just found out today that I have the option of getting an off peak/on peak meter and off peak price per kilowatt is 1.09 cents compared to on peak at 11.05 per kilowatt. What do you think I'm going to do?

Current Tank Info: 180gal(1120 watts of MH/VHO light), 60gal "sump", Deltec 601 calcium reactor, Euro Reef CS8-3+ skimmer, 20 gallon QT
Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 07:43 PM   #5
corivus
Registered Member

hmmm mine went up from $120 to $350 this month then again my roomate decided to drop the temp 2 degree's as well. thats a slightly frightening idea since I'm considering going to ca possibly next year if my g/f gets into stanford

corivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 08:28 PM   #6
lhoo
Moved On

mine just about doubled this month from 2 months ago.

lhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 08:34 PM   #7
Fliger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lhoo
mine just about doubled this month from 2 months ago.
Mine too. I pay about $120 in the winter and about $300 in the summer. Reefers really need the peak hour program and need to be aware of it. I also replace most of my incandescents with fluorescent bulbs - you can get six pack contractor packs at HD for $10. So worth it, they use a fraction of the electricity and last a lot longer. They also don't look yellow like standard bulbs.

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Unread 07/24/2006, 08:55 PM   #8
Freed
It's what it's

Well, I just did some more checking and found out that I was given the wrong info... go figure. Regular billing gives me the 1st 200 kwh for .07954 cents per kwh. The next 300 kwh gives me something like .0543 cents per kwh and each additional from there is only .04 cents per kwh. I'm sticking with the billing I have now I guess.

Current Tank Info: 180gal(1120 watts of MH/VHO light), 60gal "sump", Deltec 601 calcium reactor, Euro Reef CS8-3+ skimmer, 20 gallon QT
Unread 07/24/2006, 09:28 PM   #9
aztbs
Registered Member

Mine is only $200 a month on the managed payment plan so far (the kind where you pay the same thing every month year round). I just picked up a chiller so that I can stop keeping the house at 79degrees 'round the clock.

If you look in the Bay Area forum, so many of them have been losing power for days at a time and they are paying $500 or more a month for that privilege. I have a generator that I could run the tank on for a while, but I have to be home to hook it up.

I get the flourescent bulbs at Sam's Club in the big packs and have replaced all the lights in the house (even the outside floods). We are putting in double pane windows soon and will probably have some more insulation blown in the attic. I would cry if I got a $500 electric bill.

aztbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 09:38 PM   #10
ADA33
Registered Member

What am I doing wrong mine was 540 last month

ADA33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 10:01 PM   #11
clintrandall
Registered Member

A lot of it has to do with your air conditioner too. I'm at 174 per month on the payment plan and I keep the house at 77 or so. Our A/C unit is only two years old so I think it really helps. It would be about $250 right now if I wasn't on the plan.

Yet I can't stop reefing - what stuff am I on?"

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef ~ 75lbs LR ~ 250W 14kMH + 2 x 96w PC ~ 2 Hydor K4's ~ ASM G2 ~ Socal creations sump(they rock!)
clintrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 10:04 PM   #12
aztbs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by widefx
What am I doing wrong mine was 540 last month
Well, what are you doing? How big is your house, how many tanks do you run, what temp do you keep it at, how good is your insulation, how often do you come in and out, do you have a huge family and run the washer/dryer a lot? There are sooooo many things that can drive the bill up.

I would start with your appliances. A/C units are the worst, maybe an upgrade is in order? May pay for itself in a few years. Fridge, dishwasher, etc. One of those little Kill-a-Watt meters could be helpful in diagnosing the problem. They are not too expensive.

Back when I lived in TX, I had a super high bill and the electric company actually loaned me a meter for a while to figure out the source of the draw. Turned out to be a rediculous water bed heater pad just sucking energy. Hope you find the prob, that is a high bill!!!

aztbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 10:21 PM   #13
vanmle
Moved On

Electricity the summer months are pretty expensive in AZ. My electricity bill is 80% higher this month than it was in May. Mostly it is my A/C and pool pumps that cause this large increase in electricity bill. July and August are the worst.

However, I have the on peak/off peak billing cycle, and I can't be happier. Last year I had a 60 gallon tank, and this year I have a 180 gallon tank, and I am paying $60 less in electricity this month than the same month last year while using more electricity since I changed my lighting from day to night. Removed an AMP Master 3000 and replaced it with two tunzes. Everything is pretty much the same.

I also just got a brand new efficient A/C unit for the main living area of my house. Old A/C used 30 AMPs at its max. New A/C 19 AMPs. The new A/C actually cools the house down faster. Gotta love technology.

Unread 07/24/2006, 10:29 PM   #14
Fliger
Registered Member

If I didn't watch what I was doing mine would easily be over $500. I have a large house with multiple ac units. Pool, tank, beer fridge in the garage. We counted once and we have close to 100 bulbs inside alone and many more outside. Trying to be cognizant of the peak hours and replacing the incandescents has been huge. Also putting the AC units on controlled timers has been great. I swear though, homes in AZ come with too many multi-bulb fixtures, its crazy!

Unread 07/24/2006, 10:44 PM   #15
Philwd
Premium Member

We are on SRP's plan where you pay the same every month. Right now its about $360. But my wife loves the house at 75. So I pay for it.

Philwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 10:52 PM   #16
Freed
It's what it's

vanmle, do the figures I posted up above look about right? Something just doesn't make any sense if they are going to charge less than a hundredth of a penny per kwh if I'm not on the on peak/off peak but charge me almost 2 cents during off peak and 11 cents on peak if I have the meter for on peak/off peak hours. Thanks.

Unread 07/24/2006, 11:27 PM   #17
clkwrk
Registered Member

NO comment

Unread 07/24/2006, 11:38 PM   #18
rwessels
Registered Member

$550 this month for me..... damn 2 story house and 2100 watts of lights.

rwessels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 11:43 PM   #19
clkwrk
Registered Member

I feel better know with my 489 but thats 10 halides ,2 chillers , house a/c ect. 1100 sqft

Unread 07/24/2006, 11:47 PM   #20
Philwd
Premium Member

Mine includes a 2 story 3500 sq ft space with a huge vaulted area to cool. Wish I never got that feature.

Philwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2006, 11:52 PM   #21
joeyf
Registered Member

If you have an older fridge this is something to consider...

A fridge that is 10 years old, on average uses about 10x the electricity as a new fridge that has today's energy star qualification on it. Also A/C units are the same way. If you are looking for a new A/C units, look for ones with higher SEER/EER ratings (9.5 or higher). The one on the house that we were renting up until next week has an 11.something SEER rating and it makes a difference. Unfortunately the house we bought is about 8 years old and the A/C units are the originals, so the two of them are gonna cost quite a bit to cool the 2500sqf 2 story. This is just some very basic info that I've picked up from when I sold appliances up until a month ago.

If anyone has any ??'s on appliances LMK, I probably know more about appliances (except for waterheaters and large A/C's) than I do about reefkeeping, and I've been in the hobby for over 3 1/2 years.

Also, I agree with Fliger, the flouro bulbs make a big difference overall. They use about 11-13w on average vs. 40-75w, produce less heat, and last about 10x longer. Figure a 4 pack of 40w cost $1 and a single flouro costs about $2 (when bought in a bulk pack) not a bad deal.

joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2006, 01:02 AM   #22
grenaria
Registered Member

Costco on 44th St and Thomas has an instant rebate on all the incandescent replacement flourescent bulbs. I don't remember the price exactly but an 8 pack of the 60W replacements (13W) were about $6. They also have 100W, R30, R40, and PAR38 replacements with huge instant rebates. They said they don't know when the program will end, but they've had it for like 2 months now. The rebate is sponsered by APS, the Tempe Costco said they dont have it because they're on SRP power .

Also I agree about the AC SEER, I have a 13 SEER Trane that I had installed before I bought my house. Was well well worth the investment, and has probably already paid for itself.

After all that, I'm still up at almost $500/month right now though.

grenaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2006, 01:08 AM   #23
vanmle
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
vanmle, do the figures I posted up above look about right? Something just doesn't make any sense if they are going to charge less than a hundredth of a penny per kwh if I'm not on the on peak/off peak but charge me almost 2 cents during off peak and 11 cents on peak if I have the meter for on peak/off peak hours. Thanks.
That sounds about right. I do all of my laundry and heavy AC use during off-peak times. At night, I turn my AC down to 74 to cool the house and up to 80 during the day. Keeps things pretty nice.

I agree with getting higher efficient AC units and refridgerators. I can't believe I am actually glad that my old AC broke so I can get a new and more efficient one.

edit: on weekends, electricity is also dirt cheap.

Unread 07/25/2006, 08:51 AM   #24
sidewinder770
Registered Member

The managed payment plan is a good option if you want a fairly consistent bill all year. Personally I'd rather just "suck it up" for the summer rates and have a break the rest of the year. My current bill is $400 but I guess that's not too bad considering.

Current Tank Info: Currently between tanks- previous tank was the June 2007 Tank of the month.
sidewinder770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2006, 09:26 AM   #25
mike89t
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Mine too. I pay about $120 in the winter and about $300 in the summer. Reefers really need the peak hour program and need to be aware of it. I also replace most of my incandescents with fluorescent bulbs - you can get six pack contractor packs at HD for $10. So worth it, they use a fraction of the electricity and last a lot longer. They also don't look yellow like standard bulbs.
I did that a couple of months ago. Except I got mine from Costco.

Also I think they put out less heat than the incandescents.

Current Tank Info: Sold my 150G reef tank. :^(
mike89t is offline   Reply With Quote