Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2018, 11:08 AM   #1
rffanat1c
Registered Member

High Mag and Ca with IO

Hey all,

So I completed filling and heating all RODI water in my new 180 on 12/16/17 and added salt. 12/17/17 water mixed for 24 hours in tank, was to 78 degrees and had a salinity of 1.026. Rock that had been in a garbage can with heater and powerhead for 3 months was added.

I have been testing water each week minus Ca and Mag last week because I had to wait for refills for my Red Sea Test kits. All tests done with Red Sea except Alkalinity (API). Kits don't expire until 2019 or 2020.

I have done maybe 5 water changes of 2 gallons each time. I was going to start daily WC's but decided to wait and see how my tank consumed elements. I had this problem once before with Instant Ocean (Regular) salt with really high Mag. This was a brand new box that I used almost all four bags. I think I had 6 cups left when I was done.

As the title suggests, I am seeing high Mag and Ca after testing twice with the new test kits. There are 7 fish in the tank and about 6 small frags of LPS in the tank. I am thinking I am just going to let things consume both elements down for now and keep on weekly testing with no more WC's. Looking for any better advice. Below are water parameters with testing starting on 12/24.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpg (40.9 KB, 17 views)
rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 11:20 AM   #2
top shelf
Registered Member

Do you mix your salt up before you make water? I have found if I don't mix the salt up first each time I make up new water some levels can fluctuate. What are the current levels of mag and ca? Could also be that it's not being consumed as fast as your replenishing it so it's just bring the levels higher and higher with each WC.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 11:25 AM   #3
rffanat1c
Registered Member

I did shake the bags but that was unnecessary really as 99% of the entire box was used thereby everything I had salt wise was mixed together. Current levels are posted in the attached file.

Unread 01/07/2018, 11:37 AM   #4
top shelf
Registered Member

Sorry hadn't noticed the attached file. Your mag is high, have you cross referenced it with another test to make certain? Your ca is a tad high but really isn't that bad and still within an acceptable level. If that's where it's stable and your not having issues with alk I wouldnt worry.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 11:38 AM   #5
rffanat1c
Registered Member

Ok. I have no other mag test at the moment but ill keep watching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/07/2018, 07:46 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Those numbers are fine as is. The magnesium is higher than needed, but some salt mixes are designed that way. You could test some freshly-mixed to be sure, but I suspect that's the issue. The calcium is at the high end of the recommended zone (350-450 ppm), and I wouldn't worry. People run tanks at significantly higher levels without problems. I'd just wait to see what the consumption is like.