Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2019, 09:28 PM   #1
Mussin
Registered Member

How to clean old filter socks?

I got a bunch of old filter socks off of a friend. What's the best way to clean them? I thought washer and some bleach?

Unread 12/07/2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussin View Post
I got a bunch of old filter socks off of a friend. What's the best way to clean them? I thought washer and some bleach?
That's how I do it. No soap

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2019, 09:08 AM   #3
on the spot
Registered Member

Felt or mesh?

Either way I start with a bleach soak in a bucket. Felt goes through the washer. Mesh is good with a rinse.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Typlus5
Registered Member

Felt or mesh- soak them in a bucket with a capful of bleach. When I have enough, Wash them in the washing machine with a cap full of bleach and a double rinse.

Current Tank Info: 110 Reef Savvy rimless, 40B sump, Current EFlux Return, XR15 Pros w/Reef Link, BK Mini 180 skimmer, MP40wES...driven by Apex
Typlus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2019, 11:57 AM   #5
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typlus5 View Post
Felt or mesh- soak them in a bucket with a capful of bleach. When I have enough, Wash them in the washing machine with a cap full of bleach and a double rinse.
This is exactly my process. Works great.

Unread 12/08/2019, 02:40 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

Just stick them in a corner of your basement and after they gather dust pick them up and shake.

That's what I do with mine now that I have been a convert awy from the use of filter socks.

Let me know if you want some more - cheap + shipping.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2019, 10:23 AM   #7
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i soak mine in a bucket of bleach water for a couple days. then rinse thoroughly with tap water, soak in some RODI with some safe or other water treatment product, and then give a quick rinse with RODI prior to returning to service.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2019, 07:00 AM   #8
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

When I use to work at the wholesaler near me, I would wash the filter socks with bleach and water only then water only and let them dry.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2019, 06:57 PM   #9
sfdan
Registered Member

If you don't want to use bleach, vinegar also works decently enough. I turn my socks inside out, fill the detergent cup up with vinegar and use the hottest water setting. They come out very clean this way.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2019, 03:44 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

Bleach doesn't clean, it only makes them whiter. When I used filter socks I did use bleach because it seems they are cleaner when whiter, but they aren't.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2019, 02:48 AM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

When I was using filtersocks I pre-cleaned them with a garden hose and then washed them in the washing machine with bleach and biodegradable soap (extra rinse is mandatory).
Though I stopped using socks as they catch too much of the good stuff and cleaning them is too much of a hassle.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 05:25 PM   #12
treesprite
Registered Member

I don't like bleach. I've been using hydrogen peroxide, in the washing machine.

If you are using the washer, run an empty cycle first to take care of any traces of soap or washing chemicals.

treesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2020, 02:39 AM   #13
crimsonreef
Registered Member

When choosing the bleach option to clean the socks, make certain to only use unscented bleach. Adding an extra rinse cycle to the end of the wash cycle will help remove any bleach remnants left in the socks. In a hurry, you can dry the socks in the dryer with cool air or simply just leave them out to air dry.

crimsonreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2020, 05:45 PM   #14
paal
Registered Member

I have used the same fine mesh XL-sock for 2+ years on my 100g.

Roughly every 7 days it will clog up with super-fine particles to the point where it makes the water exit over the water line and make noise. I then just turn it inside out and wash it under the sink while "rubbing" it a little to get most of the gunk out.

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2020, 06:58 PM   #15
treesprite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paal View Post
I have used the same fine mesh XL-sock for 2+ years on my 100g.

Roughly every 7 days it will clog up with super-fine particles to the point where it makes the water exit over the water line and make noise. I then just turn it inside out and wash it under the sink while "rubbing" it a little to get most of the gunk out.
My cell ncern with just washing with water in the sink, is that some trace of pest algae will still be there, or something else.

Unread 01/02/2020, 05:24 AM   #16
paal
Registered Member

Yeah, the sock never gets 100% clean, but no problems so far.

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 08:02 PM   #17
pisces 12
Registered Member

I wait till i get 7 or more my socks are 7x16in 200 micron felt turn inside out trough in the washer add 1/2 cup of reg bleach after the frist wash rewash with plain water and 2 capfulls of amquil rinse one more time done takes all but 90mins

pisces 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2020, 12:14 AM   #18
treesprite
Registered Member

Why the Amquel after using bleach?

Unread 01/05/2020, 08:04 AM   #19
kennytze
Registered Member

I wash in wash machine on the Bulky/Bedding cycle with extra rinse.

kennytze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2020, 11:02 AM   #20
Lfunnyfarm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Bleach doesn't clean, it only makes them whiter. When I used filter socks I did use bleach because it seems they are cleaner when whiter, but they aren't.
Sorry, but I disagree. Using a dilute bleach solution for ten to sixty minutes will kill bacteria, viruses, fungi, and algae. The physical act of agitation, either by hand in a bucket or in a washing machine, will remove dirt.

Lfunnyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2020, 04:44 PM   #21
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typlus5 View Post
this is exactly what i do. Let them stackup in the bucket till i need to wash all of them.

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2020, 02:28 AM   #22
macksalazar
Unregistered

I rinse them with the hose inside and out then when I get a bunch of them I wash them in the washing machine with bleach, then air dry. Then I soak them in a bucket of rodi water and prime then air dry again.

Unread 01/13/2020, 11:11 AM   #23
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfunnyfarm View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. Using a dilute bleach solution for ten to sixty minutes will kill bacteria, viruses, fungi, and algae. The physical act of agitation, either by hand in a bucket or in a washing machine, will remove dirt.
from what i understand, bleach is also an oxidizer, so that should help break things down and aid their removal through physical agitation, right?

a big part of why i go the bleach route is to get the stank out, so my house isn't smelling like crusty old reef tank when i change my filter socks. but they do appear cleaner, not just color wise, after bleach and manual agitation in a bucket/vigorous rinse, than when i just rinse without the bleach soak.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2020, 04:39 PM   #24
Mussin
Registered Member

So are filter socks a thing of the past?

Unread 01/15/2020, 04:49 PM   #25
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussin View Post
So are filter socks a thing of the past?
I use them when I blast my rocks/clean the tank. And for some extra water polishing if the water looks a little cloudy.