Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Tony2099
Registered Member

Tempered Glass

Can a Mantis shrimp brake tempered glass tank? Its a 48 gallon tank?

Tony2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Kharn
MANTISMAN

If I had a dollar for everytime....

Unread 03/28/2012, 09:40 PM   #3
FLMantis
Registered Member

Quick answer is yes it is possible... And it's a legitimate question for people new to Mantis shrimps...

Who wants to to start a sticky about them breaking glass?

FLMantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMantis View Post
Quick answer is yes it is possible... And it's a legitimate question for people new to Mantis shrimps...

Who wants to to start a sticky about them breaking glass?
Yeah I know....

Just that research on this subject alone is soooo out there that you need only type the words "Glass mantis Shrimp" into google and you will get more information then you need on the subject.

As far as starting a thread for mantis shrimps breaking glass I forsee it to be a rather small/short thread

Unread 03/28/2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Tony2099
Registered Member

After look up more info anout the manstis shrimp. I think it might be a yes..it can break it.

Thank You for you help

Unread 03/28/2012, 11:47 PM   #6
JmartWI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2099 View Post
After look up more info anout the manstis shrimp. I think it might be a yes..it can break it.

Thank You for you help
Yeah, it's possible, but highly improbable. If you're concerned, don't be. Just don't poke your finger on the glass and tease the animal. Lay a sheet of plexiglass on the bottom if you're getting a heavy-hitter like a peacock or chiragra. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

JmartWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 11:50 PM   #7
FLMantis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartwi View Post
yeah, it's possible, but highly improbable. If you're concerned, don't be. Just don't poke your finger on the glass and tease the animal. Lay a sheet of plexiglass on the bottom if you're getting a heavy-hitter like a peacock or chiragra. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
+1

FLMantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Tony2099
Registered Member

What typ are not heavy-hitters?

Thank You for the tip and help.

Unread 03/29/2012, 05:25 AM   #9
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

+1 to JmartWI's statment
The chances of a mantis breaking a tank are so low that even Doc Roy has very few stories to tell about it happening and he’s had unknown quantities of mantis shrimps. It always makes me think about subs in a car. Everyone has heard of the guy that blew out his windows in his car from adding too much bass, but no one really knows the guy or was there when it happened. So yes it can happen. But not something to lose sleep over.
Your setting up a 48 gall is that a bow front? You should be fine. I have read the Doc’s info on it and it would seem that when this happens it usually occurs from the mantis trying to dig out the sand bed and running into what it thinks is a “rock” and trying to break through said “rock”. The “rock” being the bottom pain of glass. The heavy hitters are for the most part in my book less desirable animals for beginner mantis hobbyist. I say that cus they have some strange requirements on their tanks. For instance the peacock needs no light and infect can be killed from what is known as shell rot is the lights over it are too intense. These critters are better suited in the hands of someone that is willing to make certain shall we say adjustments to the way you look at a fish tank.
All that withstanding there is a world of “Gangster Mantis” out there that would be a lot of fun for you to keep. I like the G. Smithii. I keep one in a 40 breeder under Par38 lighting. He is active, interactive, lives in a plastic dino skull he hollowed out, and does not harm the fish. So to answer your next question yes you can keep them with fish depending on what kind of mantis/fish.
But if your hart is set on a big smasher and are worried about the bottom of the tank cus that’s what they like to break just lay a piece of acrylic down on the bottom then add your sand and your good to go. Hope to see some pix soon.

TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Tony2099
Registered Member

My tank is a 5 side corner tank.

Tank You for you help

Unread 03/30/2012, 05:33 AM   #11
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

That’s going to frigen cool. Did you see the way this dude put lights on his corner?
http://reef builders.com/2011/07/30/...potlight-ikea/
I did this to my lights and it’s BA!
No good for peacocks unless maybe if you went with the dimmable par38s.
http://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Power...3107091&sr=8-1
You can change the colors of them and dim them in and out from a remote control. I have read a lot of people have had to send in for replacements on them though. But it would seem once you get a set that work they are the bomb.

Unread 03/30/2012, 05:35 AM   #12
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

to see the first link take the space out between the word "reef" and "builders"

Unread 03/30/2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Tony2099
Registered Member

I will be move to AZ soon. So the tank wont be up for a good 6 moths or so. Im try to get a alot of info anoutr mantis shrimps. So if I get one. It can live a good long life.

What typ of mantis shrimp wont get to big?
What about keep cleaners with a mantis shrimp?
What woud be fish to keep with one?

Thank You for you help

Unread 03/31/2012, 07:08 AM   #14
usatennisfan
Registered Member

Never keep anything with a mantis that you aren't willing to lose. Most of us have pretty much learned that the hard way. I have a N wennerae that never touched anything but my CUC for over a year then one day decided that my pair of naked clowns would make a tasty treat. They were in there before he was.

Unread 04/01/2012, 01:55 AM   #15
Tony2099
Registered Member

What about if a I fead the mantis shrimp good about of food. Would that make one less to kill a fish for food? I know nothing not 100%.

Sorry for all the ??? anout the mantis shrimp. Im try to get much info about them now. So I can get one and give it a good life.

I might be going for a fish-only tank(with crabs, shrimp and snails). It wont be realy only fish. LOL. Im get a lot of info about that to.

Unread 04/02/2012, 05:46 AM   #16
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Hey Tony here is the thing with mantis, they eat what they want cus they are predators. Most smashers don’t want anything to do with fish they seem to like beating things to pieces so they can eat. Fish being soft it takes the fun out of beating them. So for the most part smashers leave fish alone. My Smithii has only killed two fish in the 6 to 7 years that I have had it. I no longer hand feed him at all allowing him to hunt his own food and yet he still leaves the fish alone. You can tell that the fish are afraid of him and give him a wide birth, but every once and a while my sixline swims through the skull tower of Squishy Ruler of planet Omicron Persei 8 and Squishy dose not destroy him in a show of his ultimate awesomeness. Like stated by others on this forum only keep thing with a mantis that you’re prepared to lose, cus you just might. But let’s be honest that can be said for anything kept in a glass box.

Unread 04/02/2012, 10:41 PM   #17
Tony2099
Registered Member

Thank You for all you help. I got a lot more info about mantis shrimps.

Unread 04/03/2012, 05:10 AM   #18
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

cool man well once you get one post some pix for us.

Unread 04/03/2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Tony2099
Registered Member

It wont be any time soon. Im move to AZ from DC. So it might be 4 moths or more befo I get the tank up. Im get much info about them. So I know what im put in my tank.