Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2016, 07:05 AM   #1
dwarf_angels31
Registered Member

Help on fuge baffle

So I am building a 40 breeder sump and last night siliconed in the bubble trap . I went with over/under/over . My last baffle is 9" tall . My question is if I have return section in middle and fuge on the opposite side to control the flow how high would the baffle between the fuge and return HAVE to be . I have a price of glass 9 " but my common sense is telling me the last baffle from the bubble trap and this baffle shouldn't be identical in height . Is that right ? Would I need a different price of glass or could I make this one work? And if it does have to be taller how much taller ? 1/4" , 1/2", 1"? And I will be using an auto top off If that helps . Thanks in advance

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

dwarf_angels31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Lsufan
Registered Member

You should be fine with the 9" baffle. Your return pump section will not be determined by baffle height it will really be determined by how much water you have in the sump. Usually I keep the water level in the return section about 1/2" lower then the baffle so in your case it would be about 8 1/2". You don't want it to low because the water falling over the baffle can get kinda loud & make bubbles if it is falling to far. It also depends on your back siphon from the tank, if you can't hold all the back flow the only place to take water out is the return section without lowering your baffles

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 07:26 AM   #3
dwarf_angels31
Registered Member

Awesome thank you !

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

dwarf_angels31 is offline   Reply With Quote