Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Stapleton840
Registered Member

Heater

Any recommendation on heater for 300 gallon setup?

Stapleton840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 01:40 PM   #2
FirstContact
Registered Member

For glass heaters I would go with two Eheim-Jaegers. Many people like the titanium Finnex heaters too. That would be my other choice.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 02:40 AM   #3
LXXero
Moved On

i'm using 2x 150w aqueon pro's in my 120g build. you might be able to get away with 2x250w on a 300g....depends on how much heat loss and so forth. could do 3x as well if you have the space in the sump or etc, i certainly wouldn't want 3x in the display tank anyway!

titanium would be your best bet for a single large heater, or you could still even do multiple, but it really depends. personally i don't like the titaniums that have no controllers as they have no protection against getting yanked out of the water, they won't know to shut off because the probe and controller are separate and the probe may still be sitting in cold water when the heater isn't, or vice versa. I personally like a double insurance policy, so basically, controller on the heater itself, and a separate controller on top of that. The titanium heaters sometimes remove that extra layer of protection and rely strictly on the external heating controller, which, while more reliable than most heaters, still can fail. I take no chances!

with that amount of heat, i'd be using a heating controller no matter what though, either as part of something like an apex or the like, or something dedicated. rancos and such...I am trying this one on one of my smaller tanks and i really really like it so far, even has over/under alarms which is nicer than my JBJ truetemp that cost twice as much, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i wrapped the probe in heatshrink just in case....can't hurt.

for glass heaters, i like the jagers too, I would also be very very tempted by the Sera glass heaters, they're a bit shorter than the jagers and the aqueon pros for that matter, so if you have a sump that is tight on space, definitely worth looking at the seras. I was really close between the sera's and the aqueon's for my build...I don't have a problem with the jagers per say, but i don't really like the temperature adjustment on the current models, it's just too stiff and the calibration ring isn't much better. the aqueon pros have been so accurate and easy to adjust out of the box that it almost feels like a shame putting them on a controller, but I've had enough heaters go bad in the past that i know better.

Last edited by LXXero; 06/30/2016 at 02:51 AM.
LXXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 07:19 AM   #4
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstContact View Post
For glass heaters I would go with two Eheim-Jaegers. Many people like the titanium Finnex heaters too. That would be my other choice.
+1...I use the titanium Finnex heaters. You can get a controller with it also if you don't have an Apex (sold separately),

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 07:33 AM   #5
Stapleton840
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

Stapleton840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 08:25 AM   #6
sleepydoc
Registered Member

I've actually found the Eheim's to be more reliable than the Finnexes - but an external controller is your best option no matter what you choose.

Unread 06/30/2016, 08:37 AM   #7
GimpyFin
Registered Member

+1 for the Eheim jager. That's all I use and haven't had any issues with them. They are also easy to re-calibrate if the temp is off a little when first setting them up.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote