Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Hainer
Registered Member

300 Gallon display tank I believe is worth looking at...

Hi Reefcentral friends...

I haven't posted here in quite sometime (maybe 12 years), so I thought I would share the beginning of this re-build of my 300 gallon display tank that I designed and built. The dimensions are 76 x 30 x 30. Lots of people have been involved in this tank along the way but I am proud to say I have always taken the bulk of the work on myself. But as all of you know, something this complicated always does better with the most great minds around to pitch in. The original version of this tank was up about 10 years ago coming off of an incredible 120 gallon tank that was featured in a bunch of magazines and Paletta's Ultimate Reef Tank book and have now decided it is time for a redo on this tank. I have never shared this tank on Reefcentral before. The tank is on a glass tile clad steel and concrete stand, hard plumbed drain underneath. All new plumbing, lights, etc. The tank is in my family room and the mechanicals are downstairs in my basement (fish room as you call it) on the other side of the house. The MRC sump holds about a 75 gallons, the Leng Ecosystem refugium 40 gallons and all the other elements combined, all in, about 450 gallons. The basic facts (I am a bit old school but it seems to work for me : ) My Reef Creations (MRC) custom made for my configuration skimmer with PanWorld pump, MRC sump and MRC CR1 calcium reactor. Radion X30 G4 Pro (3), 2 Maxspect Gyres, Reeflo Manta Ray return pump from basement to upstairs, two Vertex reactors for GFO and Carbon, Apex controller, 6 stage RO/DI system with Spectrapure ATO and 100 gallon mixing station and a whole bunch of other stuff that makes this thing pretty slick and user friendly. The sump is drilled in the bottom for easy water change from the mixing tank directly next to system. It allows me to change up to 100 gallons (if ever needed for emergency) as fast as it drains. All of my lines have relief valves and any component can be taken out of the system without disturbing the system at all or turning anything off.

I am excited to report the system is fully operational and it was filled with fresh water and running silently and bubble free for a few days. I will be starting to fill over this weekend with RO/DI freshly made saltwater. Please excuse some of the mess in the fish room as I am still in cleanup mode after about six weeks of work.

I will be posting more pics in the coming weeks if you care to see them. If there is something specific you would like to know, just ask. Hope you like it.

Hainer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (67.0 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1956.jpg (47.9 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2082.jpg (59.5 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2088.jpg (55.9 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg nHnVMqN5S8uTqQOiOJX2hA.jpg (67.4 KB, 227 views)
Hainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Hainer
Registered Member

A few more pics of the tank

A couple pics of the display tank

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cUpl7WT7SmGzV50ZxYi%Ug.jpg (44.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Cm0SR5afS3ulebSdjmx5sw.jpg (47.8 KB, 136 views)
Unread 02/16/2018, 06:45 PM   #3
spbk84
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing it progress.

spbk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Mknuwet
Registered Member

You closed up the closed loops.

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Hainer
Registered Member

Yes, decided to do away with the closed loop system. The Gyres and return plumbing have taken its place! I haven’t been running a closed loop for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/17/2018, 09:32 AM   #6
PanchoG
Registered Member

Nice, please keep updating

PanchoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:47 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Is that a PanWorld 150 or 200 on the skimmer?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Hainer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Is that a PanWorld 150 or 200 on the skimmer?

Panworld 200

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:48 PM   #9
Hainer
Registered Member

Let the fun begin

I got the display tank filled with RO/DI saltwater (less a couple inches) and plan to get the whole system running in the next day or two. Then...sand, rock and off we go!

Here are a couple pics from tonight.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2133.jpg (61.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2129.jpg (59.7 KB, 95 views)
Unread 03/24/2018, 04:50 AM   #10
Hainer
Registered Member

A few updates

Up and running. Was able to get my Red Sea mated black clowns back and a few nice pieces of coral. More pics soon.