Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Specfishin
Registered Member

Where to buy or order large tanks locally

I know there's a couple of places around but I would like anyone with experiences of buying a large (anything over 265g) tank or custom tank built to share their experiences about it. I know a few have extra lg tanks made for them and im getting ready to make something happen. I am a diy kind of guy so a complete package isnt necessary but for the right pricing im for it. Getting older nowadays. Thank you for any insight about this subject matter.

Specfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 11:14 AM   #2
snake1
Premium Member

Talk to TED.C I believe he contated John at FAOIS and they ordered his custom tank. Or just call John or Jennifer at FAOIS I'm sure they can hook you up.

Current Tank Info: Future build 60 Cube/45 gallon sump, Ecotech XR30 Radion Gen 4 Pro, 2)mp40 , 2)mp10, Full Apex, I-Tech100 Skimmer, JBJ Auto Top Off, custom I-Tech one off calcium reactor.
snake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 11:32 AM   #3
Ted_C
Registered Member

Yea - dont ask me Ask John @ FAOIS.

I actually invited John to my house and had him take a look at what I thought was a good place and he made some recommendations / took some mearsurements and such. I had a very specific plan on what I wanted when it came to overflows and sumps and such which I had planned and did build myself.

The tank is a Custom A.G.E tank (8' x 24" high and 32" wide) and steel stand from Texas. Its got a PVC bottom, low iron on three sides and a pre-painted black back. They also pre-drilled 6 1 1/2" holes through the back glass. It's got steel framing that's got a thick layer of rhinolining I think.

The stand came painted with the same rhinolining. It also came with the 3/4" plywood on both the top and in the sump area.

Delivery was a cinch. I paid the freight guy an extra 50 bucks to back up the truck in the driveway and drop the crate and stand right in front of my garage.

Unread 02/16/2018, 12:09 PM   #4
Specfishin
Registered Member

Thats very good info and I've seen some of your build before. I know it won't be inexpensive but hey, nothing in this hobby seems to be. Thank you. I totally didnt think about Faios. I know drysdale does builds from what ive gathered. Just getting info on where or whom I could look towards to and get sound advice and experiences. Awesome stuff Ted-C

Unread 02/16/2018, 12:14 PM   #5
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Just got a great tank from fishtanksdirect in Fla... Custom made acrylic 6'x5', ~500g...good people to deal with, great pricing!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 01:24 PM   #6
anbosu
Registered Member

I went through Doug on mine and other than the delivery guy deciding rush hour wasn't going to be a problem on a Friday evening it went without a hitch. The more you have figured out ahead of time the better partner you can be for whoever you go through.

I would expect you'd have a good experience going through FAOIS or Creative as well, but I was very happy with Drysdale on mine.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Specfishin
Registered Member

Thank you Albano! If its reasonable enough I was really wanting a possible 10' long 24-30 wide and at least 2' tall. I can go 8' but if I'm going big I'm going the full monty.

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Specfishin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
I went through Doug on mine and other than the delivery guy deciding rush hour wasn't going to be a problem on a Friday evening it went without a hitch. The more you have figured out ahead of time the better partner you can be for whoever you go through.

I would expect you'd have a good experience going through FAOIS or Creative as well, but I was very happy with Drysdale on mine.
Well said and I highly believe planning is the major key which is why now i'm researching my tank options at this point and choosing the supplier. I know i will be making calls but knowing who has been stellar with the tank and etc... process , helps me eliminate grief down the road. Thank you for your input.

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:33 PM   #9
anbosu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specfishin View Post
Thank you Albano! If its reasonable enough I was really wanting a possible 10' long 24-30 wide and at least 2' tall. I can go 8' but if I'm going big I'm going the full monty.
I may have missed it - do you plan to go acrylic or glass?

Unread 02/16/2018, 01:43 PM   #10
Specfishin
Registered Member

I'm leaning towards acrylic. But not sure what some pros or cons may or not be. I know glass if its scratched its scratched. Acrylic seems easy to scratch but if ever drained could be polished out. Glass is heavy. Thats all i know. Lol

Unread 02/16/2018, 02:53 PM   #11
anbosu
Registered Member

I'm not sure how often you can find 10' acrylic sheets, which is why I was curious. I guess that would be a question for the LFS owners. The weight thing is huge - my tank is acrylic and 8x3x2 and 2 strong people can move it by themselves. But if you're not going to be moving any time soon that's not as big of a factor.

Slief on the large tank forum has really good instructions for repairing scratches while the tank is full if you do decide to go acrylic.

Unread 02/16/2018, 03:05 PM   #12
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specfishin View Post
I'm leaning towards acrylic. But not sure what some pros or cons may or not be. I know glass if its scratched its scratched. Acrylic seems easy to scratch but if ever drained could be polished out. Glass is heavy. Thats all i know. Lol
As stated, you don't have to drain it to remove scratches, and as for weight, my son in law and myself have moved the 500g tank a couple of times by ourselves.
I've owned multiple acrylic tanks since 1991, and besides a new 500g and new 5' 200g, I still have 3 tanks that are over 20 yrs old and still look great.
I know some people prefer glass, but seriously, I would not have accepted a 500g glass tank for free!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.4 KB, 46 views)

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 09:41 PM   #13
rfalvey89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_C View Post
Yea - dont ask me Ask John @ FAOIS.

I actually invited John to my house and had him take a look at what I thought was a good place and he made some recommendations / took some mearsurements and such. I had a very specific plan on what I wanted when it came to overflows and sumps and such which I had planned and did build myself.

The tank is a Custom A.G.E tank (8' x 24" high and 32" wide) and steel stand from Texas. Its got a PVC bottom, low iron on three sides and a pre-painted black back. They also pre-drilled 6 1 1/2" holes through the back glass. It's got steel framing that's got a thick layer of rhinolining I think.

The stand came painted with the same rhinolining. It also came with the 3/4" plywood on both the top and in the sump area.

Delivery was a cinch. I paid the freight guy an extra 50 bucks to back up the truck in the driveway and drop the crate and stand right in front of my garage.

I can attest to this. Ted has a great tank and it is -unreal/well built. FAOIS can and have pulled off some really good builds.

John & Jennifer from FAOIS are working on a 150 for me right now. I Broke down my old tank when I sold the house. Now that we have moved, can't wait to get the new tank in. They work with every aspect of the build- start to finish.

* Ted- my Display is your QT?LOL Thanks for the buckets!

Current Tank Info: 150 gal powered by Ecotech Radions, Vectra, MP40QD's
rfalvey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 10:16 PM   #14
Specfishin
Registered Member

All great information for me to help along with decision making. I appreciate the insights and experiences. I'm willing to hear anymore tips as well when dealing with large tank builds too.

Unread 02/17/2018, 08:09 AM   #15
Ted_C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfalvey89 View Post

I can attest to this. Ted has a great tank and it is -unreal/well built. FAOIS can and have pulled off some really good builds.

John & Jennifer from FAOIS are working on a 150 for me right now. I Broke down my old tank when I sold the house. Now that we have moved, can't wait to get the new tank in. They work with every aspect of the build- start to finish.
Not dissing FAOIS - they do have amazing builds - but the 300 is mostly all my doing (or my vision if you will). They did order the tank/stand and gave great advice along the way and fulfilled all my needs for materials and equipment.

I found I had (or wanted) to do most of the design / build myself. I had my own ideas and really only used FAOIS to bounce ideas off of and as a supplier.

I had to hire a team of guys to lift the tank onto the stand. Surprisingly hard to find a team that would do this.
I had to build my own overflow (this is mainly due to Synergy holding some type of patent on the low profile overflow design and manufactures wouldn't touch my plans). * Note that FAOIS did order all the materials cut to my specifications I needed to build out the internal overflow myself and did have someone build out the external acrylic box for me.
I designed my own sump. *Note Faois did have someone build to my specifications.
I hired a team to build the skin / canopy. I did my own design/ build of the aluminum frame for the canopy to hold the lights and the cabinet company skinned it for me.
Plumbing: did it all myself.

So just from this short incomplete list - Yes - I could have paid FAOIS to do all these things for me - but I saved a few bucks on an already over the top expensive build and got great satisfaction in doing it myself. It's also my vision exactly how I wanted the tank to look / feel / operate.

Unread 02/17/2018, 08:33 AM   #16
JRR
Registered Member

Have you ever entertained using a fiberglass tank with viewing panels? I'm building a new tank for my house and this is the way I'm going. Check it out! Look at this site and then look at the price list on top of the site and you can see there different sizes they offer. Price list is outdated but not to far off. Maybe something can work for you. You might even find you can afford a larger tank. Just remember the pricing doesn't include the viewing panels so you would need to get a quote. They are pretty cool as you can just put them on concrete blocks and then put a false front over the outside to hide the tank and the concrete blocks. http://www.aquaculturetanks.com/

If interested you will need to call or email them for pricing. I'm in no way connected to them at all.

JRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:14 AM   #17
Specfishin
Registered Member

Thank you Ted_C , this is the informatio. , "the beef" I was looking for. Describes some of the things running in my own mind. Basically need a tank supplier and damn good welder. I have a wood worker in mind already. Had a welder but he has went to puerto rico for work reasons.

Unread 02/19/2018, 08:16 AM   #18
Specfishin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Have you ever entertained using a fiberglass tank with viewing panels? I'm building a new tank for my house and this is the way I'm going. Check it out! Look at this site and then look at the price list on top of the site and you can see there different sizes they offer. Price list is outdated but not to far off. Maybe something can work for you. You might even find you can afford a larger tank. Just remember the pricing doesn't include the viewing panels so you would need to get a quote. They are pretty cool as you can just put them on concrete blocks and then put a false front over the outside to hide the tank and the concrete blocks. http://www.aquaculturetanks.com/

If interested you will need to call or email them for pricing. I'm in no way connected to them at all.
I have looked at these builds but am gonna go with a tank.

Unread 02/19/2018, 09:13 AM   #19
reefrubble
Premium Member

I bought Two Large tanks a 225 , and a 300 Gal . from John at fish and other ichthy stuff in Oldsmar . John is great to deal with .

Save the reefs , Grow your own

Current Tank Info: Marineland 300 DD Tank Custom metal stand , and canopy DIY LED lighting I-Tech Super Beast skimmer . I do not have a tank at this time . I sold the 300 Gal. system
reefrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 11:38 AM   #20
Specfishin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrubble View Post
I bought Two Large tanks a 225 , and a 300 Gal . from John at fish and other ichthy stuff in Oldsmar . John is great to deal with .
Thank you for the good info and insight on your experiences with Faios!

Unread 02/19/2018, 05:29 PM   #21
reefrubble
Premium Member

You are very welcome

Save the reefs , Grow your own

Current Tank Info: Marineland 300 DD Tank Custom metal stand , and canopy DIY LED lighting I-Tech Super Beast skimmer . I do not have a tank at this time . I sold the 300 Gal. system
reefrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 11:21 AM   #22
Specfishin
Registered Member

Ok, so after thinking a little more about this big project, i realized I need to get the plumbing/storage/mixing station and electrical ready before I can commit to the tank stage. Not to mention I have to tile the floor first. So these comments, brought me to the whole, "whoa" I need to prep before i dive into tank purchasing. I did find out though its feasible to get a 10' long tank. So, for now I have that at ease in my mind. I will start some build thread in the next coming month or two. I will take plenty of pics.