Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2017, 03:14 PM   #101
Kinetic
Registered Member

Today's morning natural light with the bubble tips:

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 10:50 PM   #102
RottoInspired24
Registered Member

Any update now? A month later ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RottoInspired24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 01:26 PM   #103
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottoInspired24 View Post
Any update now? A month later ?

Nothing drastic to report. I'll take photos and do a full update soon =) Everything is alive and happy.

Unread 12/21/2017, 04:42 PM   #104
RottoInspired24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Nothing drastic to report. I'll take photos and do a full update soon =) Everything is alive and happy.
Haha good to know!

RottoInspired24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 05:13 PM   #105
Kinetic
Registered Member

A few updates:

Orchid dottybacks now have separate established burrows, but like to swim around together quite a bit. They seem to really like swimming next to snails for some reason. Anyone else notice this? Especially my big turbos.

My magnifica decided to walk around quite a bit recently. On Sunday it did a full walk around on the top of the pedestal, getting really close to my Gyre intake. I was worried (though the gyre has a mesh guard on it). Yesterday night, it fully got off the pedestal and walked down to where the BTA's are. Early morning it got back on the pedestal. Around lunch it came down to the front of the rockwork. And finally late afternoon it's back on the pedestal and has stayed there since. It inflated bigger than I've ever seen it. Probably 10" across (normally 6-7"). I'm not sure exactly what's going on. I didn't change the flow or lighting for awhile now. I don't really feed it, but I tried anyway to make sure it was OK, and it ate right away and has a tight mouth and is well inflated. I guess she just wanted a look around. Nothing died in her wake, so we're good. I hope she still likes the pedestal.

I've been feeding APBreed TDO Chroma Boost to the fish with the Neptune AFS for two weeks now. The fancy white extreme clownfish is a lot redder now, and the orange parts of the mocha davincis are really intense as well. They're all looking healthy. I think I'll continue feeding. I noticed the orchid dottybacks look a bit pinker than purple now (but that might just be my imagination). But the clowns are absolutely redder.

Sailfin blenny is still alive. I haven't seen him eat or chomp on anything. He's still small. I'm thinking of letting him out of the isolation box into the rest of the DT. I'm not sure he'll survive. He'll most likely get eaten by the Pygmy Hawkfish. I wonder if anyone has a pico/nano tank that'll take him nearby. Also, my tank doesn't have much algae these days. Might not survive if he won't eat any prepared foods.

Phosphates are still around, but low (7ppb). Nitrates aren't detectable. My chaeto has all melted away, and my nice DIY reactor is empty. I tried dosing iron, but nothing happened. I'm pretty sure my chaeto didn't make it because there's not enough nitrate. Overall, there's very little nuisance algae (just some film on the glass that I clean every 2 days), and there's no nitrates to speak of. So I guess I'll just leave things be. I was thinking of pulling my marinepure plate, but I'm scared that'll throw off the balance of everything else in my tank. It's a bit too much of a UNLS now. Not sure what to do next. Just leave it?

I've been hand dosing daily about 24mm of Alk/Ca using Aquaforest's Components. Mg has always been high, so I've been leaving that out. I'm keeping Alk at about 7.5-8.5dKH. I bought an Apex DOS that I need to pickup from a local reefer to help dose throughout the day instead of spiking it every night. I'll use that to dose the Alk/CA daily. I might pickup a BRS dosing pump and run it on a timer to dose some nitrates.

It's been cold. My 125watt heater isn't keeping up, and I have to run my house heater up to 66* so that my tank can keep up the heat when I'm away from home. I'm probably going to add another heater somehow (need to free up an outlet on the Neptune EB4).

Now for the photos:

Need to hide the plugs somehow. My Icecap Gyre batt backup is sticking out, boo:

The little isolation box on the top left is where the sailfin blenny lives for now. It's covered in algae. Check out how red my fancy white ext. is now after TDO Chromaboost.

The Rainbow BTA is getting bigger?

Mocha Davinci clowns are still drunk/high off of this mag:

Unread 12/30/2017, 07:54 PM   #106
Jsilverman18
Registered Member

That’s an awesome tank. I would love to do an anemone tank one day

Jsilverman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2017, 02:31 AM   #107
zooman72
Registered Member

Still looking good!

You know what be a nice addition? A gorgonian would look great over on the left - just a thought...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2017, 05:00 PM   #108
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
Still looking good!

You know what be a nice addition? A gorgonian would look great over on the left - just a thought...
That would be nice! But not sure if I can keep a gorgonian alive in such a small tank that is a fairly ULNS. I could barely keep them alive in my previous 100g anthias tank. But that was over 5 years ago, maybe I should research on them and see if there's better success with those these days.

Unread 12/31/2017, 06:35 PM   #109
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
That would be nice! But not sure if I can keep a gorgonian alive in such a small tank that is a fairly ULNS. I could barely keep them alive in my previous 100g anthias tank. But that was over 5 years ago, maybe I should research on them and see if there's better success with those these days.
You'd be surprised! There are a lot of photosynthetic gorgs to choose from that are super easy

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2017, 07:51 PM   #110
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1210 View Post
You'd be surprised! There are a lot of photosynthetic gorgs to choose from that are super easy

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Awesome! Time to do some research Thanks!

Unread 01/01/2018, 01:18 AM   #111
zooman72
Registered Member

Yeah, if you want to keep it an "authentic" Indo-Pacific biotope, take a look at Grube's gorgonian (Pinnagorgia flava), which is cultured by ORA, and pretty common. Looks really good when it "grows up", and is very easy to keep.

You could also look at one of the Caribbean species that are photosynthetic, but take care as not all are considered easy to keep. There are a few species I would recommend though - corky sea fingers (Briareum asbestinum) and knobby sea rod (Eunicea sp.) are really easy, and orange spiny (Muricea elongata) or yellow/ purple sea feathers (Pseudopterogorgia sp.) aren't too difficult either.

There are a few others I have kept relatively easily, but take a look at KP Aquatics as they have a great selection (although this is a bad time of year for them to collect) and are great to work with. It should be easy to find a Grube's, either online or ordered through a LFS.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 10:40 PM   #112
Kinetic
Registered Member

In an effort to automate dosing, I picked up a Neptune DOS and will be using a dosing container I found on BRS that fits perfectly next to my Reefer 170 sump. I modified the DOS to use RO Polyethylene tubing instead of the soft tubing, and had to drill the reservoir to push the tubing through instead of using the barbed end.

Materials:
Neptune DOS: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dos-d...e-systems.html
Reservoir: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tripl...reservoir.html
John Guest 1/4 OD by 1/8 NPTF Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Clear 1/4” Polyethylene Tubing: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-m...ro-tubing.html
RectorSeal Pipe Thread Sealant

Why the Neptune DOS?
I’ve been looking high and low for the perfect dosing pump. All had their pros and cons, but the biggest thing for me was the price. Overall, the Neptune DOS had the best results, as long as you were in the Apex controller world. Unfortunately the pump only has two heads, at quite the premium price. I decided to take the dive and just get the pump for Alk and Ca dosing. My mg never seems to fall much, and water changes have kept the levels high enough. If I end up needing to dose other things, I’ll buy another DOS.

Other pumps I considered: GHL Doser 2.1, CoralBox WiFi, Kamoer X4 WiFi, and Bubble Magus. GHL Doser seemed nice and could run on its own. For the same price as the DOS, I could get 3 heads. CoralBox and Bubble Magus were super affordable, but I didn’t like the setup problems and failures I’ve heard with Bubble Magus. Kamoer was a good price point with 4 heads, but I also heard that it was hard to setup. That was probably the dosing pump I was going to go for, but being heavily committed to my Apex Jr, I decided against it.

Why modify with RO Tubing?
I didn’t really like the idea of limp tubing being strung through my cabinet. I have clear RO tubing left over, so I decided to go that direction. I’ve also heard that the Neptune lines are hard to straighten out and remove the kinks. I did order 16 meters just to see, and it seems to be OK and kink-free.

How did I modify?
It was pretty easy to modify the DOS. I used RectorSeal Pipe Thread Sealant on the threads and screwed on John Guest adapters that have 1/8 NPTF thread that I could push my 1/4” RO tubing into. I realized that the reservoir I bought actually uses the small 1/8” airline tubing. I decided to use a hacksaw to chop that off the barbs, then used a 1/4” drill bit to widen the hole. The clear RO tubing was an extremely snug fit through the hole, enough where I wouldn’t need to use silicon or anything.

Unread 01/09/2018, 10:41 PM   #113
Kinetic
Registered Member

What’s next?
I need to get the 24v power adapter (oops) and then calibrate it. Then I’ll set it up to dose daily 17ml of Alk and Ca from my Aquaforest Components 1+, 2+. I’m thinking of just spreading it evenly out throughout the day. I know some people prefer to dose at night for pH swing reasons. I literally have never tested for pH, and don’t have a probe for it, so I’m just going to leave it.

Current cabinet mess:

Unread 01/10/2018, 04:30 AM   #114
hottuna
Registered Member

Kinetic:why do u need to dose anything ? all u have is 2 anemones in there...unless I'm missing something

Unread 01/10/2018, 06:39 AM   #115
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
Still looking good!

Nice looking tank. I think the empty space there looks great. I would not add anything there. Let the anemone grow a bit and your tank will be very full (and beautiful).

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 01:10 PM   #116
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottuna View Post
Kinetic:why do u need to dose anything ? all u have is 2 anemones in there...unless I'm missing something
I have three tiny 3/4" SPS frags in there. Traded / given to by friends. They're mostly brown pieces right now, hoping they color up eventually. Even so, I'm needing to hand dose 17ml of Alk/Ca a day. So either they're using it up, or something else is.

Oh, and I have 3 anemones

Unread 01/10/2018, 01:11 PM   #117
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Nice looking tank. I think the empty space there looks great. I would not add anything there. Let the anemone grow a bit and your tank will be very full (and beautiful).
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I'm pretty happy with how the tank is now. I have some SPS that I'll let grow out. I'm only going to have 2 or 3 SPS so that I can let them grow out as much as possible, but it'll still maintain the nice negative space in the tank.

Unread 01/12/2018, 04:53 PM   #118
Kinetic
Registered Member

Afternoon light hits my Rainbow BTA just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7e2vUsPx6Y

Unread 02/20/2018, 10:44 AM   #119
hottuna
Registered Member

How's the mag doing now ? staying put? So rare to get a good one that doesn't roam all over..Mine hasn't budged an inch since putting it in the tank a few weeks ago...

Unread 02/20/2018, 11:54 AM   #120
davocean
Registered Member

First time seeing this, really pretty tank, and really like the simple scape.
I also agree w/ orion, sometimes less is more, I like the open space and I'd just let the nems grow out.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 02:22 PM   #121
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
How's the mag doing now ? staying put? So rare to get a good one that doesn't roam all over..Mine hasn't budged an inch since putting it in the tank a few weeks ago...
It's been about 4 weeks now since the mag moved. When it moves, it's just for a few hours when the lights start to turn off. It wanders around the pedestal and then comes back up. It used to walk once a week, but now it's stayed put for awhile. I'm not too concerned. I'm not growing anything on the sides of the pedestal (no light really), so it can walk around it without killing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
First time seeing this, really pretty tank, and really like the simple scape.
I also agree w/ orion, sometimes less is more, I like the open space and I'd just let the nems grow out.
Thanks! Yes, I've always liked the open scape look. Hoping to let everything grow out and have the living things create the aquascape rather than the rock.

Unread 02/20/2018, 03:22 PM   #122
hottuna
Registered Member

I think you and I are facing the same dilemma down the road: bta's will split and take over...eventually we'll need a new tank just for our mags...

Unread 02/20/2018, 03:26 PM   #123
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
I think you and I are facing the same dilemma down the road: bta's will split and take over...eventually we'll need a new tank just for our mags...
That will definitely be the case. I haven't fed the mag anything (on purpose) to try to keep growth to a minimum. But I also know I will be putting together a much larger system in a couple years. Like this one, it will put the focus on the mag.

A good thing about my BTAs are, they don't seem to really want to split at all. Crossing my fingers they'll just keep growing and not split all over the place =)

Unread 02/20/2018, 03:29 PM   #124
davocean
Registered Member

Given proper conditions a healthy BTA should not split very often.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 09:38 PM   #125
Kinetic
Registered Member

Busted out a 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. My Mocha Davincis are looking a lot more like black davincis.