Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2014, 10:29 AM   #1
staplesofficewr
Registered Member

Graph of VDM outputs?

I would like to see the % output of each of my VDM ports. If I graph them now, it just shows what profile they are running. I cannot graph the profiles. Is there a way to do this?
I would really like to see the graphical representation of my white and blue outputs.

Unread 08/19/2014, 02:23 PM   #2
kurt_n
Registered Member

I believe using Fusion you can see the output graphs like you want. But just using the webpages by themselves, no, there's no way to do that.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 05:21 PM   #3
staplesofficewr
Registered Member

Well that's unfortunate!

Do you know if apex has a "feature request" area? I can think of two things off the bat.
- ability to show the 0-10 outlets voltage on the graphs
- increased resolution of the outputs..The outputs increment over 100 steps(not sure why 100 bits: 7bits=128, 6bits=64...so we are 6.5 bits?. It would be nice to see some 10 bit stuff (1024 steps). Not sure if their hardware is limited or if its a firmware thing.

Unread 08/19/2014, 05:31 PM   #4
aleithol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplesofficewr View Post
...Do you know if apex has a "feature request" area?
Yes, there are threads over on Neptune Community Forums. When you put in the suggestion, it's typically best to also say WHY you want something... sort of a quick sell job to hopefully get attention and prioritization to the myriad of requests.
  • Requests for future firmware (aka "classic/native" interface) can go here
  • Fusion-specific requests can go here

Unread 08/19/2014, 07:56 PM   #5
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplesofficewr View Post
Well that's unfortunate!

Do you know if apex has a "feature request" area? I can think of two things off the bat.....
As Bert mentioned, yes... you can request features.

However, the feature you're looking for is available - you just have to be using Fusion to have it. And I'm 99.9% sure that's the answer you'll get from Neptune.

From what I've gleaned over the last many moons, new features will continue to be added to the Apex, but you'll need to be running Fusion to access them. Pretty sure the features resident in the base unit itself will not evolve much.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2014, 04:28 AM   #6
aleithol
Registered Member

FWIW, and not to be argumentative -- only helpful :-), today I believe Fusion graphing is limited to only probes (temp, pH, ORP, etc) and EB amperage, with a maximum of 2 items overlaid at a time -- whereas the native/classic dashboard graph function allows any probe or outlet to be graphed with more extensive overlay. There is no direct ability to select a profile for graphing from either interface I can find. I would be interested to know how to do more in Fusion if it is possible today, because I can't find it in the quick reference or it's not intuitive enough for my aging mind at this early hour to determine as I've explored it again just now.

As a suggestion to the OP in formulating their requirement submission, IMHO if I understand the original desire correctly, I doubt the request will be accepted by Neptune, as I think it could be problematic to have today's controller with it's fixed memory and no external storage to log even more detailed activity of variable speed ports. Today, data is first collected by the Apex Controller locally, then periodically mined and brought up to Fusion when there is network connectivity if it is so enabled by the user. Critical constraints beyond capturing broad profile usage like we have today, would have to be put in place by the developers as it could be just too much data in too short of a period of time for the Apex to handle while still getting productive work accomplished in a timely manner. Consider how much data would be produced when using a ramp of say 0-100% every few seconds on a varspeed pump and trying to record each of those points for just one port, let alone multiples. With limited memory, even if the processor could keep up with recording, logging would quickly wrap around overwriting itself in the memory available in any controller today. Some people that use rapidly changing OSC's used to blow through how much history they could retain before selective outlet logging was implemented just a few weeks ago in the latest 7A14 firmware -- let alone if that sort of data capture became even more granular. Anywho's, OP, I could be off-base with your intent, but if not, perhaps that gives you some additional thoughts to consider to help formulate your thoughts into a solid and practical desire you can suggest. Good luck!

Unread 08/20/2014, 06:16 AM   #7
aleithol
Registered Member

OP, one other related thought as a variant to what Kurt was suggesting perhaps... It's not exactly what you're looking for, but part way there perhaps:
Rather than use profiles to manage your varspeed ports, consider switching over to use a Fusion Wizard with tdata that it will mange for you. That programming is done via a graphical interface which may be more to your liking and will show you the approximation of % output at any time throughout the day. Unlike when using traditional profiles, using the Fusion Wizard with it's tdata will cause your Apex to additionally interpolate and smooth out what transpires between the data points you specify. This way, you could see a graphical approximation of "what will happen" at any point in time via Fusion, and you may then like the presentation of historical graph data in the existing classic/dashboard for your varspeed ports better than what you are used to with profiles today. ...at least the combination is something you may want to explore.

Unread 08/20/2014, 08:25 AM   #8
staplesofficewr
Registered Member

Thanks for the update guys....

I just had a brain fart...all this time I had assumed that "fusion" was a device I buy to add this functionality. I tried to find where to buy this gem at, but couldnt...It looks like this a new feature from them web-based?!

Unread 08/20/2014, 08:56 AM   #9
aleithol
Registered Member

Yup, Fusion is free to all Apex owners as an alternative (or perhaps, preferred) primary interface to one's controller. THIS helps get everyone started.

Unread 08/20/2014, 11:24 AM   #10
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
... increased resolution of the outputs..The outputs increment over 100 steps(not sure why 100 bits: 7bits=128, 6bits=64...so we are 6.5 bits?
The input values are in %, yes, but the output is not in 1% steps. Testing I've done with a datalogging voltmeter and a very long ramp time indicates that the output is controlled by an 8-bit word fed to a D-A converter, resulting in 256 steps of about 0.065v each.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2014, 12:42 PM   #11
staplesofficewr
Registered Member

Ah. I see. The 8bits makes a whole lot more sense. Still would be nicer at 10 bits. I went to PWM on my lights cause the 0-10 drivers were not very good. The converter can go lower (10 bit) but with such "large" voltage drops, the PWM converter also jumps