Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/26/2009, 07:19 PM   #151
PRDubois
Registered Member
 
PRDubois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 3,624
Welcome
To Reef Central

thank you both for joining us
------------------------------------------------------------
John,
READ. READ, READ - everything in the beginning of this section

Use Sand or CC sand not CC
Never cycle with live fish, Takes longer and is crewl to fish
Your tank should be 4 weeks to cycle before adding fish


__________________
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2534403

Current Tank Info: 225 gal Reef, 60 gal reef & 40b frag tank

Last edited by PRDubois; 04/26/2009 at 07:27 PM.
PRDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2009, 07:41 PM   #152
jball49
Registered Member
 
jball49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Grimes, IA
Posts: 24
Oh, well we were told by aquatic store that is how to start up a new tank is that you put some damsels in there for 3-6 weeks until your water tests ok. At least 3 weeks and most likely 4 is what we were told. But we were just doing what the store told us to do.

Oh and it is CC sand, not just CC.



Last edited by jball49; 04/26/2009 at 07:57 PM.
jball49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2009, 08:46 AM   #153
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, England,UK
Posts: 7,810
Blog Entries: 6
well im totally against using live fish for cycling, and more importantly damsels as well, lovely fish but can get aggressive and basically they are used as guineau pigs, you may have to tear the tank down to get them out and then what will you do with them? its not your fault you were talked into it, but i suggest you ask us here before listening to the lfs again, its great to see you here and welcome to the forum, hope to see you posting here and any questions just ask


To Reef Central


__________________
Don't be afraid to ask questions, we in the new to the hobby are here to help you
[For My Tank Spec,Photo Album,Articles and website, click on my name]

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2009, 09:15 AM   #154
jball49
Registered Member
 
jball49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Grimes, IA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
well im totally against using live fish for cycling, and more importantly damsels as well, lovely fish but can get aggressive and basically they are used as guineau pigs, you may have to tear the tank down to get them out and then what will you do with them? its not your fault you were talked into it, but i suggest you ask us here before listening to the lfs again, its great to see you here and welcome to the forum, hope to see you posting here and any questions just ask


To Reef Central
Thanks, I will. Well the store we got them from has a policy of letting you bring them back and giving you a refund after the cycling. They are the most helpful of any store we have gone to and been very happy to spend a lot of time trying to teach us. One of the employees told us to join this site as a matter of fact. Since you can return them I never thought it was bad, assumed they knew what was best. And with them refunding it isn't even a money making thing for them really. But I will now know you don't have to do that!


jball49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2009, 12:41 PM   #155
NorthDakotaReef
Registered Member
 
NorthDakotaReef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fargo
Posts: 10
Talking New to the hobby

Hello there. My name is Teddy. I am new to the hobby. I have been saving up to start for the last year and just got started a few weeks ago. I purchased a 90 gallon tank from a friend that is well established with the hobby. I was originally just going to get my 55 gallon started.
So, I have a 90 gallon tank with 120 pounds of liverock and 90 lbs of sand. I use a protein skimmer, surface skimmer, overflow, and biological and chemical methods of filtration. I light it with 2 175 watt metal halides 20,000K. I also am going to add t-5 or compact flourescent lighting here soon.
I am very excited as I have been wanting to do this for quite some time now.


NorthDakotaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2009, 01:25 PM   #156
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Re: New to the hobby

Quote:
Originally posted by NorthDakotaReef
Hello there. My name is Teddy. I am new to the hobby. I have been saving up to start for the last year and just got started a few weeks ago. I purchased a 90 gallon tank from a friend that is well established with the hobby. I was originally just going to get my 55 gallon started.
So, I have a 90 gallon tank with 120 pounds of liverock and 90 lbs of sand. I use a protein skimmer, surface skimmer, overflow, and biological and chemical methods of filtration. I light it with 2 175 watt metal halides 20,000K. I also am going to add t-5 or compact flourescent lighting here soon.
I am very excited as I have been wanting to do this for quite some time now.

To Reef Central

Time to post some pictures


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2009, 07:20 AM   #157
Pigmonster
Registered Member
 
Pigmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: jupiter, fl
Posts: 41
Good Morning, my name is Nicole and I am new to RC. Love this site! This is my go to place when I have questions. Currently I have 3 tanks, but the main is a 120 mixed reef running 2x150 hqi radiums with actinics. Starting in to sps, but like everything. The other two tanks are 12g aquapods. One houses a mantis, chromis, hippo tang, frags with a 70w xm20k. Other is basic pc with 2 ocellaris and a purple reef lobster. Thanks for offering a site like this!


Pigmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2009, 09:51 AM   #158
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, England,UK
Posts: 7,810
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by Pigmonster
Good Morning, my name is Nicole and I am new to RC. Love this site! This is my go to place when I have questions. Currently I have 3 tanks, but the main is a 120 mixed reef running 2x150 hqi radiums with actinics. Starting in to sps, but like everything. The other two tanks are 12g aquapods. One houses a mantis, chromis, hippo tang, frags with a 70w xm20k. Other is basic pc with 2 ocellaris and a purple reef lobster. Thanks for offering a site like this!
hi-nicole great to see you here on our forum, hope you start a build thread or if you have any questions just ask


To Reef Central


__________________
Don't be afraid to ask questions, we in the new to the hobby are here to help you
[For My Tank Spec,Photo Album,Articles and website, click on my name]

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2009, 12:45 PM   #159
Alleykat0498
Registered Member
 
Alleykat0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Richmond Va
Posts: 683
Hey guy's I'm a noob to the whole SW realm. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a while just soaking up loads of info. I have had countless large and small Fresh aquariums and I currently have a 10 gallon fowlr up and running. I'm sure you guy's know what happens when you start with a fowlr... which explains what has lead me here. I look forward to learning and sharing my experience as it grows.


Alleykat0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2009, 05:03 PM   #160
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Alleykat0498
Hey guy's I'm a noob to the whole SW realm. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a while just soaking up loads of info. I have had countless large and small Fresh aquariums and I currently have a 10 gallon fowlr up and running. I'm sure you guy's know what happens when you start with a fowlr... which explains what has lead me here. I look forward to learning and sharing my experience as it grows.

To Reef Central

glad you have come out of lurking--posting is a powerful component of the learning curve in this hobby


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2009, 05:34 PM   #161
Whys
Moved On
 
Whys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 3,264
This one is for Michael. Just incase he missed it in the other thread.




Whys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2009, 06:18 PM   #162
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Whys
This one is for Michael. Just incase he missed it in the other thread.

I believe your signature says it all Whys


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2009, 08:48 AM   #163
Danger Dave
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2
Hi guys, I'm Dave and I'm new to saltwater. I have been a member here for a few months doing research, and getting to know the hobby and what is involved in it. I'm currently in the process of setting up my very first tank - a 14 gallon Biocube. I plan on having 2 or 3 small fish and maybe a few corals, but I think inverts are the most entertaining. After I feel comfortable with my experience, I would like to setup something along the lines of a 75-90 gallon maybe in a year or 2.


Danger Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2009, 10:04 AM   #164
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Danger Dave
Hi guys, I'm Dave and I'm new to saltwater. I have been a member here for a few months doing research, and getting to know the hobby and what is involved in it. I'm currently in the process of setting up my very first tank - a 14 gallon Biocube. I plan on having 2 or 3 small fish and maybe a few corals, but I think inverts are the most entertaining. After I feel comfortable with my experience, I would like to setup something along the lines of a 75-90 gallon maybe in a year or 2.

To Reef Central

there are definetly advantages of starting with a small system however they are less forgiving of mistakes in water chemistry ect then are large tanks.


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2009, 01:19 PM   #165
clayw
Moved On
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,312
Hello RC my name is clay, im new to the hobby, 6 months into it. My tank has been set up for four months. I have a 40g glass tank with 55lbs of LR, a HOB tetra filter rated for 55-75g tanks. Two power heads are going in next friday, the tank seems to be doing well and Im really enjoying it.
-clay


clayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2009, 02:31 PM   #166
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, England,UK
Posts: 7,810
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by clayw
Hello RC my name is clay, im new to the hobby, 6 months into it. My tank has been set up for four months. I have a 40g glass tank with 55lbs of LR, a HOB tetra filter rated for 55-75g tanks. Two power heads are going in next friday, the tank seems to be doing well and Im really enjoying it.
-clay
hi-clay, nice to see you here on the forum


To Reef Central


__________________
Don't be afraid to ask questions, we in the new to the hobby are here to help you
[For My Tank Spec,Photo Album,Articles and website, click on my name]

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2009, 06:57 PM   #167
ronman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
hello every one my names ronnie im new to the rc and the saltwater side of the hobby altogether


ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2009, 07:15 PM   #168
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by ronman
hello every one my names ronnie im new to the rc and the saltwater side of the hobby altogether

To Reef Central

Do you have any idea what size of tank you are going to start with?


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2009, 02:16 PM   #169
ronman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
yea im going to start with my 75 gal tank with a 55 sump


ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2009, 03:53 PM   #170
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by ronman
yea im going to start with my 75 gal tank with a 55 sump
that's good---the larger the tank the more forgiving it is of mistakes we make in water chemistry


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2009, 04:48 PM   #171
TAttel
Registered Member
 
TAttel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 40
What best to get started

Hi my name is Tim and brand new to SW. Can anyone tell me what would be the ideal tank size to start? I have been looking at 55gal but what about the all-in-one 29gal oceanics? Any opinions on which is the best starting tank with cost in mind? Thinking about marginal reef tank btw. Thanks.


TAttel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2009, 05:07 PM   #172
NtaFreshynemor
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 9
The Newbie

HI my name is Brad Im just getting into saltwater have had fresh for many years starting out with a 90 gallon tank and not sure what fish I want to put in there just know i have lots of possibilities and I would like to have an eel.


NtaFreshynemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2009, 05:16 PM   #173
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Re: What best to get started

Quote:
Originally posted by TAttel
Hi my name is Tim and brand new to SW. Can anyone tell me what would be the ideal tank size to start? I have been looking at 55gal but what about the all-in-one 29gal oceanics? Any opinions on which is the best starting tank with cost in mind? Thinking about marginal reef tank btw. Thanks.

To Reef Central

the larger the tank the better IMO. Larger tanks are more forgiving of mistakes in water chemistry ect then smaller ones.


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2009, 05:17 PM   #174
ronman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
yea i was gonna go with a 29 with 20 as a sump but i think i better get some time in be for i try small tanks bigger is better


ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2009, 05:21 PM   #175
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Re: The Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by NtaFreshynemor
HI my name is Brad Im just getting into saltwater have had fresh for many years starting out with a 90 gallon tank and not sure what fish I want to put in there just know i have lots of possibilities and I would like to have an eel.

To Reef Central

Have you decided what kind of tank you are going to have

fish only
fish only with live rock aka FOWLR
full reef---corals, fish and inverts

This decision should really be made first as it impacts on the type of fish you can keep


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.